Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pulley I need is one with a V groove that is bolted in place by an allen head rounded bolt and a spacer and nut. My hardware is in usable condition. But the pulley I need is stationary / does not move. It's between the gear box and the blade on left hand side (sitting on mower). It's about 4.9" diameter with a 0.74" hole. I worked on trying to disassemble the C clip from the housing to try to revive the thing but spent 2 hours for nothing but a few more chipped screw drivers and less penetrating fluid on my shelf. Stuck!
I've searched over and over and keep finding the wrong one. It's not the one that pivots and it's not the ones that operate the blades and it's not the one in the gear box. It has to have the exact factory inside diameter to mount and approximate outside diameter to do it's job besides sitting still and burning rubber belts. So there's no room or money in my pocket for guessing games.
I have pics if needed with caliper dimensions for every dimension. And the pulleys I'm finding for this particular pulley look different online. But I can find used ones on ebay all day that look exactly the same with hardware and all so I know it's the original one. But I prefer a new one if the price isn't way high for just a pulley.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes Deere has both standard and heavy duty versions.
Sometimes a part is updated to a different version.
Sometimes the part provide is a little different than the diagram.
Sometimes the part changes based on the serial number (this is fairly common...)

This explains it... It must have been updated. I just hate ordering the wrong part and then it takes more of my time than I have to offer to ship it back what not.

I see now it's called out as the same as the idler pulley that rotates on an arm. I will swap the one I have on the swing arm out first to make sure it works before I order.

Thanks you so much x738! I could not find this diagram before. HUGE help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I see I have no choice but to buy a used one for the fact these pulleys are only meant as rebuildable. I can only find the bearings and snap rings new. The "V" pulley housing itself (M118972) must not be available any more. I may try to call my only local JD dealership but searches come up nothing.

Or just buy one of the used ones and call it a day.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'd start with my dealer and give them the deck vin and see what they have for cost and availability.

Then decide if it's worth you time to track down an alternative.
Or maybe it's no longer available and there is no 'replaced by' item.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Without a picture this could very well just be the actual V groove housing without the bearing and clip included?

I placed an order from a manufacturer named "Terre Products" that specialize in aftermarket or duplicate lawn mower parts. I expect the part I ordered to be very different due to copyright issues but we will see. At least they are a USA product. The price for the duplicate was $58 shipped. It is a complete pulley assembly measured from the website for center bearing bore (3/4"), overall diameter (5") and width (1"). I don't see where I can go wrong but I will let you know for I'm certain I'm not the only 455 owner with a 60" deck looking to replace an idler pulley.
It's unfortunate that JD decided to discontinue this part if that's the case. Otherwise, the part is impossible to find. And if found, I expect the part to be N.O.S. and the price to be probably twice that of a manufactured duplicate.
JD isn't the only company that has the ability to produce V groove pulleys now days. But I imagine a unique forming machine would be needed for the process of the outer plates. Not something a backyard fabricator could conjure up.

·
Premium Member
9,789 Posts
If P/N M118972 is the correct P/N, JD parts shows it available to order $67.52 (no bearings or snap rings)

Reactions: DRobinson
1 - 8 of 8 Posts