Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Put the Boom on the tractor yesterday might pull a 405 ft deep well pump with it today? Welded a set up to hold the pipe with the winch cable and to hold it at the top of the casing while re/hooking the cable to the pipe. Calculated the weight at 160 lbs per 100 ft or around 450-500 lbs with water distribution removed from the weight at the beginning of the lift. Once I get some up it will get lighter and will be using my winch to lift with and the remote so I can watch the well closer. I have my 1000 lb scale to see how close I am to figuring the weight and to make sure I am not over loading the boom busting it loose from the casing. First I will do test lift for weight and then pull 20 ft up at a time and cut off the old pipe as it comes out. Going to install Heavy Wall Poly Pipe easier to install back in the casing and get out later! Put my pump in with poly pipe 24 years ago and still working great and I can pull it up by hand since my water table is high and helps with 30% 0f the weight to lift. I will take pictures of the process when I do it. This job will pay for all the materials I used to build it with!!

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
405 feet, wow, are they charging Chinese tariffs on your water. :laugh:

·
Registered
446 Posts
400+ foot wells are common in my area. I got very lucky with mine and hit 19gal/min @180feet. I believe the well was over drilled down to 200' for sedimentation.

I've been wondering how I would go about trying to replace my well pump when I need to. Pictures of your setup would be handy to see. Where did you get the tool for the pitless adaptor.

·
Premium Member
13,941 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I've been wondering how I would go about trying to replace my well pump when I need to.
Our well is that deep,, when our pump went out due to lightning,, I called a local pump guy,,
he brought his 25 year old son,, his son pulled that pump, hand over hand,,

I asked the father if we should help, the father said "NOPE" the boy liked the exercise,,,:dunno:

So, 200 feet must not be too over-powering?

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
A total of 3 people pulled a 420 foot well. I pulled the t handle across the yard, the other 2 did the lifting at the case. He was about 50’ from a pond. My grandmother was on a river but also had to go to 400’.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Does your weight estimate include the weight of the water in the pipe?

Just looked it up out of curiosity. With a 1” pipe the weight of water is 0.34# per foot. So your 405’ run water weight will be 138#.
That was my first question. There is water in that pipe in addition to the weight of the pipe, pump hanging off the end of it and the wiring.

We had our well replaced a year and a half ago. It was interesting to see the well guy splice in the power line to the pump leads. He used 1/4" copper tubing like what you see for a fridge supply line for butt splices. He pushed one wire in from each side of about a 1" chunk crimping the entire length. He said it provides more crimp surface to prevent it from slipping. He didn't really insulate it. Just some electrical tape.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Does your weight estimate include the weight of the water in the pipe?

Just looked it up out of curiosity. With a 1” pipe the weight of water is 0.34# per foot. So your 405’ run water weight will be 138#.
I did look that up and figured it in but when the pipe is under water it does not add to the weight and the steel weighs around 33% less. You just hope the water table is high so it helps. Added in the 40-50 lb pump too.

When the poly pipe goes back in it is full of air and floats till the water fills it. This makes it real easy to install you just let it slowly slid in the well and hang onto the rope and wire! You have to have the Torque Arresters spaced on the pipe to protect it and the wire keeping it away from the sides to scar up. Be nice if you could fill the old one with air before lifting it out but the foot valve will stop you from pushing the water out unless it is leaking???

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
400+ foot wells are common in my area. I got very lucky with mine and hit 19gal/min @180feet. I believe the well was over drilled down to 200' for sedimentation.

I've been wondering how I would go about trying to replace my well pump when I need to. Pictures of your setup would be handy to see. Where did you get the tool for the pitless adaptor.[/QUOTE

On a Pit Less Adapter they normally have a female threaded 1" hole you screw a 1" rigid pipe into for lifting the adapter out of the socket slide it is in. Look one up on the net lots of information on pulling one. This one the pipe is out the middle of the well cap where I can hook on to it easy for the first lift.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A total of 3 people pulled a 420 foot well. I pulled the t handle across the yard, the other 2 did the lifting at the case. He was about 50’ from a pond. My grandmother was on a river but also had to go to 400’.
I pulled my 350 ft well with a poly pipe up out of the well by myself. I did have 2 people laying out the 1 1/4" poly pipe as I pulled it up and a 3rd dealing with the wire. This one were trashing the steel pipe as it comes out with a "Saws-All" it has been in the well around 30 years! As it comes out I will lock a coupling in the holder till the cut is finished and just keep pulling up more to cut off. Were not sure how deep the pump is the report said the hole was drilled 405 feet not sure they set it that deep? Weighing the set up can tell me something before pulling it out or at least to be ready for. The original owners were pretty cheap and stupid from what I have saw so far. I just ripped out all the old stuff it was done so badly!! The boom can tip the tractor so it won't bend using it but I don't want the rear tires coming up on me in a lift.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
The pump shouldn’t be on the bottom otherwise sediment would clog it fast and the pitless fitting would come apart.

I think you’ll be fine lift wise. Holding it while you reset the lift rope or chain is where I see potential issues.

I know one guy who dropped his and had to have the pipe and the pump drilled out. That driller was not happy to say the least, and his bill reflected that.

·
Registered
446 Posts

I've been wondering how I would go about trying to replace my well pump when I need to. Pictures of your setup would be handy to see. Where did you get the tool for the pitless adaptor.[/QUOTE

On a Pit Less Adapter they normally have a female threaded 1" hole you screw a 1" rigid pipe into for lifting the adapter out of the socket slide it is in. Look one up on the net lots of information on pulling one. This one the pipe is out the middle of the well cap where I can hook on to it easy for the first lift.
I was honestly picturing something completely different when I thought of a pitless adapter. It makes a lot more sense now as to how it works.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had to rig a dual hydraulic bottle jack setup to get the old pitiless adapter broken loose on my son's 40 year old well. It was scary getting it to pop loose because I was worried about the thread strength on that initial 1" lift pipe. I couldn't get it with a 800 pound lift on the loader.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
I had to rig a dual hydraulic bottle jack setup to get the old pitiless adapter broken loose on my son's 40 year old well. It was scary getting it to pop loose because I was worried about the thread strength on that initial 1" lift pipe. I couldn't get it with a 800 pound lift on the loader.
Initial breakout?

·
Administrator
17,079 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Initial breakout?
I will do the test today with how heavy it is close to the loader frame. I will hook to where I have a 2,000 lb lift and set up the scale to see what it is first. Once I know I will back up the tractor and lift the boom up 20 plus feet on about a 75 degree angle which will not put such a strain on the boom for a lift as it is not sticking out but up. I tested it out all the way and 500 lbs makes the back tires light. Come back 1/2 way you can lift 1,000 lbs before maxing the boom and starting to lift the rear tires. But you stick the boom up in the air for a real high lift and it can lift way more before the tires get light.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The bottom of our irrigation well was at 2200’ which was needed to hit the top of the aquifer. The static level then rose to 320’. The impeller was put at 520’ which drew the water level down to about 450’ or more when we turned it on. We were a smaller sized pump for our area at just over 700g/m with a 100 hp motor. The water came out hot at about 120 F.

Our home well was at 280’. So much iron that if you filled a bucket you couldn’t see the bottom. Drank out of a hose all growing up. At age 12 I tasted my first bottled water and spit it up because it tasted so bad without the iron... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts