Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Pumps Out and nothing broke doing the 360 ft lift

What fun a day got to pull a 360 ft deep steel pipe well with the tractor. It took a while had help and it weighed 598 lbs to start on the first pull and lighter as I cut 20 ft off each section at the couplings. I did the first set ups for a few hundred feet to test my welds but nothing was moved when the stops were set and I did all the pipe cutting. It was like a tree falling on a hinge all 20 ft section of pipe. Cut at the couplings so the puller had a good stopping point if the heavy pipe slipped and tried to drop all of it back down the well. All went well no surprises except my winch did not work so I used the boom and hydraulics to lift the pump. Worked out better in the end and did not trash my winch for 3 1/2 hours getting the pump out. My collar worked great it was harden steel so it cut into the 1" pipe for a good grab. I Made it big enough for 1 1/4" steel pipe if needed. The guy wanted to help and had a desk job he got burnt out going in and out of the culvert each time while I worked the tractor for 3 1/2 hours including set up. Once the collar was on the pipe it just slid down each time to the well head 6 ft under ground where I hooked on to the pipe for the lift. Boom was nice it protected the tractor when I gut the pipe to keep it going one way. Did not need to extend the boom to cut 20 ft at a time off.

100_3985.JPG 100_3986.JPG 100_3988.JPG 100_3987.JPG 100_3990.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Great job! I didn’t realize you were dealing with steel pipe - reading too fast again.

Glad it was a success - thanks for sharing the pics.[/QUOTEI will be putting Poly Pipe back in so much easier to deal with too! First time I ever pulled a steel pipe there heavy! I have installed 10-12 poly pipe systems down to 350 ft over the years. Pulled about that many too with out a problem. This one the steel pipe was thin in places some spots were paper thin and I think blew threw near the pump? It had a Flow Valve 1/2 way down the well pipe it was rusted closed and full of grit! The one on the pump could not hold water anymore. The pump had been in there since the late 90s and was showing it's age. The pump had not run in several years but when it did the last time it trashed the pump not moving water and over heated the impellers to the point they could only push water a few feet anymore. The owner who was my helper had fun learning how to use a wrench and ratchet at the same time it was like pulling teeth watching him do stuff but I bit my tong and let him learn on his dollar that he was paying me to do the job. The reason for the orange rope and not all chain was to have some give/bounce on the pull and not jerk it while holding the sharp edge into the pipe for the pull.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've followed this thread with a great deal of interest. The bulk of my life's work was oil and gas engineering; I was involved in pulling and replacing a lot of pipe in a lot of well types of varying diameters and depths.

One poster quoted a figure of .433# as weight of water. In fact, this is hydraulic pressure in psi per vertical foot. Water weighs 8.33 pounds per gallon if fresh, more if it has dissolved or suspended sediment in it. I pulled up an online pipe volume calculator and concluded that 405 feet of one inch diameter pipe holds 16.6 gallons of fluid, which weighs 138 pounds. One needs the internal diameter of the tubing to make a more precise volume calculation. Any internal scaling or corrosion would decrease the diameter and reduce the volume.

The poster who suggested that the full pipe weight would not be achieved until the standing fluid level was reached is spot on. Buoyancy plays into this effect. The status of the foot valve is important, too, to determine whether you're pulling a "wet" or "dry" string from your well.

I'm intriqued by the "elevator" you designed to slip along the outside of the pipe and create a friction grip to make the next pull. Very clever.

We used an external clamp and a slotted piece of plate steel ("C-plate") to suspend the load from surface while you are working the pipe above. Crushing the pipe is a risk, but maybe not so much since the tubing is being replaced.

I'll continue following this thread and I wish you luck and a safe way forward,

Brian

I did look that up and figured it in but when the pipe is under water it does not add to the weight and the steel weighs around 33% less. You just hope the water table is high so it helps. Added in the 40-50 lb pump too.

When the poly pipe goes back in it is full of air and floats till the water fills it. This makes it real easy to install you just let it slowly slid in the well and hang onto the rope and wire! You have to have the Torque Arresters spaced on the pipe to protect it and the wire keeping it away from the sides to scar up. Be nice if you could fill the old one with air before lifting it out but the foot valve will stop you from pushing the water out unless it is leaking???

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I took off the Boom assembly and hooked up my Trench Ripping tool on the rear 3 point. I need to rip around 200 ft of trench for the wire to go in. I took a closer look at the Pulling Collar and there was not even a dent on the edge that contacted the well pipe to pull it out so being hard metal helped to hold the pipe. If I did this again I would weld up a set of jaws that held the pipe heavier the load tighter the fit in the wedge effect for the top of the 6" Well Casing and a place the wire can come thru as the pipe is pulled. If it had been a 400 ft pull and the water table not 10 ft from the top of the pipe another 150 lbs would be easy to add on. All 4 botls on the well cap were froze solid with rust. Had to use my electric drive impact and it busted them all off in the cap so it just fell apart on me but the well pipe was being supported off the 90 degree elbow and short pipe at the top for a web strap. Then I weighed the drop when it was hanging, bet it was double that to break the cap loose of the rusted pipe!

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
405 feet, wow, are they charging Chinese tariffs on your water. :laugh:
If I put my Lat/Long in a search numbers right but done wrong a place in China shows up! Bet it is on the other side of the world?

·
Premium Member
14,371 Posts
Good JOB glad it was a success. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
11,951 Posts
glad u got it out -ok:bigthumb:..............:munch:great pics too.:thumbup1gif:thanks!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts