Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Wow that is some messed up looking parts! Looking at the Bearing close it seems trashed and not worth saving? It appears to be a pressed on race under the bearing rollers. It is not going to come off easy and I would get a manual to make sure I did it right. There has been a lot of what I would call back yard repair and the hub needs replaced in my eyes. If I had to remove it I would cut/grind it off to not mess things up more.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Inside bearing is somewhat new. I see what it’s damaged in the hollowed our area unless you have a puller you have to be careful and chip away it. As for the yellow stuff on the bottom idk. Right now I’ve got everything apart just taking what would be tie Rods on a vehicle but these are bearing out then the hub should pull off so I can replace the stubshaft seal.... back hurts. Won’t attempt the other side without a puller.... way way to much work... had to step back and take a break

Then I see on the bottom where I just started working there’s a missing bolt and one miss match. I’m gonna say the person I got it from was in it. The steering rod was missing the cotter pin and bolt was about to fall off.

I almost want to say the might’ve replaced that inner seal. Idk why it’s leaking so bad. Just going to replace it again

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
U joints I bought are a 1/8 maybe 1/2 inch to short so there’s some up and down play.... really sucks because I didn’t notice it till I had everything back together. The only think I can think of is to maybe be able to take the outer ring out out out washers on inside. I’m hoping with the pressure from the drive train it won’t move much unless stationary. Took it down the road. No vibrations... I dunno guys.

But I need to know what oil goes into the hub and if hydraulic fluid runs in the axle or if that’s gear oil. Info would be appreciated. I took it for a test drive but didn’t go far without having oil in it.

·
Registered
12,658 Posts
U joints I bought are a 1/8 maybe 1/2 inch to short so there’s some up and down play.... really sucks because I didn’t notice it till I had everything back together. The only think I can think of is to maybe be able to take the outer ring out out out washers on inside. I’m hoping with the pressure from the drive train it won’t move much unless stationary. Took it down the road. No vibrations... I dunno guys.

But I need to know what oil goes into the hub and if hydraulic fluid runs in the axle or if that’s gear oil. Info would be appreciated. I took it for a test drive but didn’t go far without having oil in it.

without a manual-try googling it and see what comes up for that model front end. it might surprise u:dunno:

One Lonley Farmer has some videos on replacing them front joints on his channel. his a 7410--it has a loader on it and used hard. i think he's changed everything twice in his-both sides too.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

without a manual-try googling it and see what comes up for that model front end. it might surprise u

One Lonley Farmer has some videos on replacing them front joints on his channel. his a 7410--it has a loader on it and used hard. i think he's changed everything twice in his-both sides too.
Yessir tried goodle couldn’t find much for older MFWD, one video on a newer JD held half quart of hydraulic fluid in each hub. The oil that poured out was a lot thicker then Hydraulic fluid. I’m about to call JD.

Called the person I bought the tractor from, he said he’s never been in the front end so that old seal lasted 3 or so years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts