Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Purchased a X739 with a 54HC deck and MCS mulch control. JD advertised mow your lawn with mulch on and flip the switch and go to MCS. All sounded great. Mulch the front yard and pickup the back yard. WRONG. I went today for my class on the mower. The tech asked how do you want the unit delivered. MCS on or mulch. Different set of blades for each. Heres the big problem. There is a bracket that has to be bolted on so if in mulch mode so blade won't hit the mulch gate. There is no reason the have a had ram to switch modes when you need to bolt on a bracket to mulch and take it off to Collect grass. I am very disappointed I spent the money for the mulch kit and hyd control when it cannot be used. Just about as bad as the manual control for spout on the snow blower. If I am wrong about this let me know. Not a good start between me and my739.
John

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
That is not the way it was explained to me when I asked about the hydraulic mulch option.
Below are enlarged pictures from the JD website. From those I do not see any reason why what you want to do would not work. I do not see how the the bracket would cause a problem with the grass collection system.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess when the bracket is bolted on the power flow blower won't fit on. Without the bracket on the gate can and will hit the blades.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You only need one. Either the MCS kit or the permanent mulch kit.

The MCS uses standard blades and you then turn mulching on of off with the moving door.

The full time mulch kit is meant to be left in place and not removed repeatedly. It also uses the mulching blades.

I have the full time kit on my 54HC deck and love it. It mulches everything beutifuly. Honestly I think the mulch on demand is for the birds but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We use the MCS in the backyard so the dogs don't bring in the clippings. that can't change. JD has some work let to do on this design.

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
It’s always been my understanding that the deck would be leveled differently with the Power Flow unit hanging off of it. So I’m not seeing any way you would be able to easily switch from mulch to MCS whether it was a permanent mulch kit or mulch on demand.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It’s always been my understanding that the deck would be leveled differently with the Power Flow unit hanging off of it. So I’m not seeing any way you would be able to easily switch from mulch to MCS whether it was a permanent mulch kit or mulch on demand.

On my x758 I have not found a significant difference between powerflow and non powerflow. The handers are wide enough and the deck heavy enough that it is not a significant issue. I run mine kind of inbetween perfect for each and it works fine. You cannot tell the difference even on nice grass.

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
On my x758 I have not found a significant difference between powerflow and non powerflow. The handers are wide enough and the deck heavy enough that it is not a significant issue. I run mine kind of inbetween perfect for each and it works fine. You cannot tell the difference even on nice grass.

Interesting and good to know, thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm not so sure that they won't work together, or that you need to remove any hardware to switch other than
the powerflow blower.

here's some info from JD sales manual regarding mulch control , with references to bagging:

"MulchControl is well-suited to the following mowing situations:
Usually mulch, but side discharge when grass gets too long
Usually side discharge, but would like to be able to close the chute to control clippings
Always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
Bag clippings, but want to go farther before emptying bags
MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings. Now the operator can have all the benefits of mulching with the ability to easily change to side-discharge or bagging when needed.

MulchControl limitations

While in the side-discharge mode, MulchControl will still mulch about one third of the material. Therefore, the side-discharge mode is essentially a partial-mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side discharging or bagging, as it helps to reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
##When cutting strong southern grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda
##When cutting in wet, high-growth conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest United States
##When optimum bagging and lawn clean-up is desired"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not so sure that they won't work together, or that you need to remove any hardware to switch other than
the powerflow blower.

here's some info from JD sales manual regarding mulch control , with references to bagging:

"MulchControl is well-suited to the following mowing situations:
Usually mulch, but side discharge when grass gets too long
Usually side discharge, but would like to be able to close the chute to control clippings
Always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
Bag clippings, but want to go farther before emptying bags
MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings. Now the operator can have all the benefits of mulching with the ability to easily change to side-discharge or bagging when needed.

MulchControl limitations

While in the side-discharge mode, MulchControl will still mulch about one third of the material. Therefore, the side-discharge mode is essentially a partial-mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side discharging or bagging, as it helps to reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
##When cutting strong southern grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda
##When cutting in wet, high-growth conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest United States
##When optimum bagging and lawn clean-up is desired"
Here is where the problem is. JD says"MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings. Now the operator can have all the benefits of mulching with the ability to easily change to side-discharge or bagging when needed."
My dealer showed me that the power flow blower will not fit on the deck with the mulch bracket bolted on to the deck. If the bracket is not on, the gate will hit the blades. This is a 2019 deck and the 2018 power flow would not work on it. They said the had to get a 2019 power flow for the 2019 deck. They are contacting the JD rep.
Thanks for everyones input. As for the deck leveling, the power flow will always be on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Personally, I think JD is misleading people with the mulch control system and it's supposed versatility. Here's why:

1. A MCS will never be able to pick up all the clippings with the mulch control installed because the blade farthest from the chute is always completely enclosed (i.e. in mulch mode) - regardless of your 'selection'.

2. For an MCS to work at it's best, it needs high lift blades to create better vacuum. Not mulching blades.

3. For best mulching results you obviously need dedicated mulching blades.

I have the full time mulch on my 54hc deck and don't see myself ever taking it off. I just works that good. It leaves no visible clippings and even mulches heavy layers of oak leaves better than I thought it would.

So my opinion is that you can set up a machine to mulch OR collect, and it will do well, but can't do both.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts