Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a new 100 lb propane cylinder to UHaul to get it filled. I told him it was new, but I'm not sure this guy was fully up to speed on what to do. I wasn't either, other than knowing that purging was a thing. He filled it then opened the "purge valve" until vapor came out. Is that correct? I've been reading tonight and see that some sites say that 4-5 cycles need to be done before the tank is filled. Do I have an improperly filled tank? Here is a pic of my POL valve:

IMAG0562.jpg

·
Administrator
20,708 Posts
Was the vapor white and look like steam? Ideally you want to see liquid spitting out of that purge valve. As the tank is filled, it will hiss and you'll see the vapor, but it's not full until you see the liquid come out. Most places use a scale to fill the tank as there is no other way to verify how full the tank is.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was the vapor white and look like steam? Ideally you want to see liquid spitting out of that purge valve. As the tank is filled, it will hiss and you'll see the vapor, but it's not full until you see the liquid come out. Most places use a scale to fill the tank as there is no other way to verify how full the tank is.
Yes, the vapor looked like steam. I weighed it and it weighs 163 lbs. With a 67.9 lb tare weight, it's not quite full. I'm going to do some testing tomorrow with a high pressure burner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts