Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im considering the 2038R over the 3039R but i have a question.

My dealer thinks the 2038R can handle the heavy AF11E 72inch push blade FEL attached with hydraulics. I think it may be a bit heavy for the 2038 loader, John Deere has manual blade they recommend but i want hydraulic if at all possible.

Does anyone have any opinion to as if the 2038R FEL can handle this heavy blade?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I wouldn't. Someone posted a photo here a couple months ago of a bent loader frame from using one of those blades. Pretty nasty if you ask me. Hydraulically? sure, it could do it, but the loader isn't made to handle that kind of force in that particular manner.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I think the 2028R can handle it. I'm not convinced I'd want one to do it though! :laugh:

As mentioned above, that 72" blade can apply a lot more pressure on your loader arms than a 60" blade can. Especially if you catch a corner of the blade on a rock, stump, pothole or paver at full speed when plowing.

If I had a big wide open paved parking lot or even a driveway where I was absolutely sure I couldn't hit anything, I'd consider it. But having popped the hydro cylinders on a 54" blade after hitting a rock I've become a bit risk averse with this sort of thing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Push Blade

Thats what i thought you guys would think, just wanted to reassure myself. So now I'm going to ask the dealer to order me a 3039R with the smaller R4 tires because I have hills and would like to lower my center of gravity closer to the 2038.

Ill take opinions about the smaller tires if anyone has one

Thanks everyone, Im loosing sleep over this decision. LOL

·
Registered
12,537 Posts
What are you pushing, I ran a 72” FEL mounted plow on a 1 series pushing snow with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally Ordered the 3039R

Well after all the research and questions I signed a purchase agreement to order the following:

I Live on a mountain with significant snow fall

I was debating between the 2038R and this 3039R--after seeing proposals the price was within $2000 to get a heavier tractor

3039R with 15-19.5 R4 and 25-8.50-14 R4==== My thinking is this may lower the center of gravity some.
3 inch wheel spacers and loaded rear tires--hopefully this makes me feel better on these hills.

320 Loader with heavy duty bucket
25A Flail mower
BB2060 Box Blade
RB2172 Rear Blade
I can use my existing AF11E push blade
LED light kit
e hydro
and a few other items.

The dealer said they hope it will come in by December-------OMG Really

·
Administrator
20,356 Posts
The dealer said they hope it will come in by December-------OMG Really
Well this part is hard to "like."

Once you have it though, you'll never look back, that's for sure. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
12,537 Posts
I think you made a good choice, but man it’s going to be a long 6 months for sure. Congrats

·
Registered
597 Posts
If it feels iffy on the hills you could also add wheel weights.

2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it feels iffy on the hills you could also add wheel weights.

Do you think with loaded tires and 3 inch spacers wheel weights would be ok to add?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Do you think with loaded tires and 3 inch spacers wheel weights would be ok to add?
I don’t see why not. The filled wheels and wheel weights don’t really stress the tractor or axels any differently as all the extra weight is on the rims & tires. There are plenty of people who use weights and filled tires along with spacers.

The other thing you can do is keep the flail on the ground while on the slopes and don’t raise it up. That will give you a lot of stability. If you must raise it keep it as low as you can. Fully raised it can make you less stable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts