Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trusty ol Lawn Boy 21" self propelled (rear drive) mower is on it's last legs. It takes me all of 45 minutes to push cut the yard and I don't anticipate ever moving again, so I'm just looking to cut the current yard. I also have a Craftsman LT1000, but I don't cut with it. My yard is too unlevel for a big deck.

I've seen the Hondas with the plastic decks and two blades, but I'm really liking the Husqvarna four wheel drive models. Are those a good option? Looking for info here, so I'm open to suggestions. I'd like to keep it to $500, if I can.

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
I have a Honda 2 bladed plastic deck mower that needs a new home...... It's a great mower, I just don't need or use it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Here is the mower that I use.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Toro-22-in-High-Wheel-Variable-Speed-Self-Propelled-Walk-Behind-Gas-Lawn-Mower-with-SmartStow-20339/205026227/

I cannot comment on the one you asked about but I can say that the above mower does a great job and it's nice that the handle folds down. It's plenty powerful and it mulches nicely. There's no primer and it starts on the first or second pull every time. I have no reason to look for other mowers.

Good luck on your purchase. Be sure to let us know what you get and how it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I second Milharri, I have had Toro pushers (self propelled) and they are very hard to beat. Single pull to start and if it is a mulcher there is none better.

Reactions: Bubber

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought a Honda self propelled HRR three years ago to replace the 20 y.o. Lawn Boy.

It's a good mower. Starts first pull, regular gas.

I should have sprung for the HRX, about $200 more.

I mainly use the HRR as a mulcher, without the bag. If the lawn has any length to it, the HRR leaves a trail of clippings.
(The old Lawn Boy didn't do that!)
The dealer warned me this might happen. I find it mildly annoying.

I also find the HRR underpowered. It bogs more quickly than I like when grass is tall.
Dealer also warned me of this and said the HRX will not bog as readily as the HRR.

For my experience, if going with Honda definitely spring for the HRX.

Good luck!

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I second Milharri, I have had Toro pushers (self propelled) and they are very hard to beat. Single pull to start and if it is a mulcher there is none better.
I've got a Toro Super Recycler bought new in 2007. Great mower, but blade clutch is junk. A real Mickey Mouse setup that unfortunately looks to be having issues for the third year in a row. It's a $200+ repair each time so the mower may just sit. I like the personal pace self propelled on my Toro but skip the blade clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,884 Posts
After the daughters FIL Lawnboy quit , ( I put a new coil and has worked for the past 4 yrs ) , he bought a Toro ,,biggest piece of SH_ _ hew ever owned. Instead of going to the Personal Pace went with the Recycler rear wheel drive. Had Plastic gears on the wheels with metal gears on drive parts.
One of the rear wheels were being replaced 4-6 times a summer. He got a $100 for it on a trade bought a Honda HRX hasn't been back to the dealers going on 3 yrs. Engine seemed to be running a tad low on rpm shop foreman told me how to do that has been happy as can be.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Do not buy a Troy-Bilt mower of any sort.

My brother bought one of the Honda twin blade jobs and loves it.

I haven't used a push mower in years since I bought the POS Troy-Bilt.

I use a string trimmer for my limited needs.

Reactions: Levi and Bubber

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here it is. New to me Honda HRX. It rode about 800 miles with me, but it's home and I got to use it yesterday.

It mows and mulches like a champ. There's no hint of clippings left anywhere. The hydrostatic drive is super nice and very adjustable. Having a blade that you can stop without shutting the engine down is nice. I only did two passes in the backyard without the blade engaged before I figured out why it wasn't cutting. :laugh:

Big thanks to DieselShadow for the deal on the Mower and the personal John Deere How It's Made show. :good2: Nicest guy ever and the cleanest shop that I've ever seen!

·
Super Moderator
8,131 Posts
I have a Honda HRA216 Commercial Self Propelled mower that a bought around 1988. Used it all that time for trimming around the place before or after mowing with the tractor. Man that thing is a heavy beast but reliable and always starts on the first pull. Smooooth running and has heavy steel wheels! It has two gearbox speeds. Even in slow it's pretty fast and lately more difficult for me to keep up with. Got a hip that won't let me walk comfortably at a fast pace anymore.

Well, I moved it to a rental property I own a few weeks ago. Rather than raise the rent which has been the same for the last 8 years we agreed with the tenant's to put their son to work mowing the lawn on a weekly basis. I figure it works for all parties, especially their kid. Responsibility......??

So, this morning I went to the local L&G dealer and picked up another Honda HRC216 Commercial walk behind and brought it home. They lightened them up a bit and it now has the variable speed hydrostatic drive. I just got in from trimming around the yard. Works well and I can slow it down to a comfortable walking pace. This one will most likely outlast me.

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
Cleanest shop? Uh huh.... :lol: Its currently a huge pig stye in there.

It was great to meet you in person Bubber. I'm glad you like the mower. :thumbup1gif: I can't wait to try your world famous smoked bacon. :fed:

·
Super Moderator
8,131 Posts
. :thumbup1gif: I can't wait to try your world famous smoked bacon. :fed:
Did somebody mention smoked bacon??

Logo-More Bacon.jpg

For Father's day breakfast Ms. SGS let me have Sausage & Bacon!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just replaced a Honda Harmony HRM 21 with the plastic deck that I bought in 1994. The deck is perfect, the engine just started getting weaker & needed repowered. It saw weekly use (& abuse by my two teenagers who supplemented their allowance by mowing jobs). Needless to say I bought another one. Keep non ethanol gas & synthetic oil in them & they will last a darn long time.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Here it is. New to me Honda HRX. It rode about 800 miles with me, but it's home and I got to use it yesterday.

It mows and mulches like a champ. There's no hint of clippings left anywhere. The hydrostatic drive is super nice and very adjustable. Having a blade that you can stop without shutting the engine down is nice. I only did two passes in the backyard without the blade engaged before I figured out why it wasn't cutting. :laugh:

Big thanks to DieselShadow for the deal on the Mower and the personal John Deere How It's Made show. :good2: Nicest guy ever and the cleanest shop that I've ever seen!
That looks like the mower I bought at an auction a few years ago. At first I thought it was broken, then realized how you turn the blades on.:laugh: The only down side I found of the controls are when you mow next to limbs/bushes. It shuts it down or slowes it down. I've learned to trim going the other direction. Overal a great mower.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts