Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the Mrs is after me to get a new push mower. Apparently the old JD21 isn't good enough. It burns oil like crazy and needs new wheels.

Was thinking about re powering it but then looked at the price of wheels for the old girl and let's just say they aren't cheep. For the price of a new engine and wheels I could be up to a really nice new push mower.

Considering a Honda but not sure what model.

Anyone have any experience with them or any other recommendations.

Will be used around the house. About 1/2 acre and to trim around plants down where the old house used to be.

I don't mind spending a bit more up front for something that will last.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So the Mrs is after me to get a new push mower. Apparently the old JD21 isn't good enough. It burns oil like crazy and needs new wheels.

Was thinking about re powering it but then looked at the price of wheels for the old girl and let's just say they aren't cheep. For the price of a new engine and wheels I could be up to a really nice new push mower.

Considering a Honda but. It sure what model.

Will be used around the house. About 1/2 acre and to trim around plants down where the old house used to be.

My grandmother has a Honda hrx. It takes some getting used to but it's an excellent mulching mower.

https://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers/models/hrx217hza

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
If you are looking for a basic 21" push mower like you have you can hardly beat a Honda HRS216PKA. $389 at Home Depot. I've had one for a few years and it is an excellent basic non-propelled mulching mower. It also comes with a chute if you do not want to mulch.

HRS216PKA.jpg

·
Corndog Hater
11,873 Posts

It's a classic and a classic never dies! Isn't it a shame that it costs so much to repower and spruce it up. Otherwise it looks to be in good shape.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a classic and a classic never dies! Isn't it a shame that it costs so much to repower and spruce it up. Otherwise it looks to be in good shape.
The deck is perfect. The wheels rubber is torn up though. If it was just a motor I'd do it. But the wheels are 45 bucks a piece.

Honda engine 200 bucks.
Wheels 180 bucks.

That equals a new Honda almost.

·
Corndog Hater
11,873 Posts
The deck is perfect. The wheels rubber is torn up though. If it was just a motor I'd do it. But the wheels are 45 bucks a piece.

Honda engine 200 bucks.
Wheels 180 bucks.

That equals a new Honda almost.
I can't blame you. I am trying to get away from needing a push mower at all. But in the mean time, my 17 year old Toro's self propel is shot. I can't push it anymore without the self propel enabled otherwise the rear wheels lock up. There was a JS61 I was looking at. They wanted $175 for it. But all it had was a mulch plug. A chute wasn't much money but I need a bagger. The whole bagger assembly would've been just about as much as the mower. Crazy! I'll keep limping the Toro.

Reactions: pcabe5 and BigJim55

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I can't blame you. I am trying to get away from needing a push mower at all. But in the mean time, my 17 year old Toro's self propel is shot. I can't push it anymore without the self propel enabled otherwise the rear wheels lock up. There was a JS61 I was looking at. They wanted $175 for it. But all it had was a mulch plug. A chute wasn't much money but I need a bagger. The whole bagger assembly would've been just about as much as the mower. Crazy! I'll keep limping the Toro.

My JS61 is still kicking. Although I did have to replace all the wheels. The stock were some kind of turf friendly tread that were discontinued. However they superseded to something that worked. I think that the guy only charged me for one because I got all 4 for like $25.

I didn't even realize that JD made a bagger for it.

Thought I killed it last week. Was trimming around a bush by pushing it in under the over hang. The plastic engine cover is missing because I got sick of listening to it rattling. I guess one of the branches bent the carb linkage. After figuring out witch way to bend it back it was good to go.

Seeing the JD is so old. I was looking at them Honda professional models. At $1,200 I'm going to keep using what I have till it won't go anymore.

How about pulling the old engine apart to see what it actually needs. Thought the engine on my old L108 was a goner. Turns out it was just the head gasket.

·
Registered
568 Posts

i love green push mowers as in old lawn boy 2 strokes i use a commercial vintage one ..sounds awesome...
but for your situation if you wanted a new engine you could by a cheap model mtd/yard machine 150$ or less for the entire mower and the engine looks like the one you have so kinda would look factory. hondas are good motors for sure i like husqvarna's with honda engines.
you could always rebuild you current engine those are very easy and cheap to rebuild.

i vote restore the deere it already lasted this long. a little restoration and it would look new. dont see to many chrome bars anymore
but thats just me i like classics and when they are working:kidw_truck_smiley:

pick of my vintage lawn boy its a 1995 model C21MRC found original sales receipt was right at 500$. still 2 stroking along after all these years:good2:

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
A few questions for you to be able to fine-tune a recommendation.

Is the Mrs. the user of the mower, or does she want one for the Mr. to use?

Push, or self-propelled. If self-propelled, single speed, several speed, or variable ground speed?

Pull start, or electric start?

Will mowing height be adjusted from time to time, or remain fixed?

Do you intend to bag grass clippings, or do you want to mulch, or just discharge clippings? If you bag, do you like side or rear? Will you want to easily switch between modes?

Automatic choke (a weak point on my new mower) or manual choke?

How important is mower weight and balance? Will you or the Mrs. be doing long straight runs, or will you have to cut around many trees and shrubs?

I'm asking because I just recently went through replacing my old Lawn Boy 2 cycle, and I made a few mistakes picking the replacement.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We will both be using it. I don't mind a push mower but I think she prefers a self propelled.

She wants something that is mulching or rear discharge. No side discharge at all.

Pull start is fine. Especially if it's a Honda. They start pretty easy.

I grew up on old lawn boy mowers. My grandparents had one from the late 70's early 80's and then again in the 90's. loved those mowers.

If I could still get a 2 stroke one. They would be on the list.

This looks a lot like what I grew up with. :)

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
As others have said. The Honda mowers are great. I have been using one for the past four summers, although my X739 has cut my push mowing from over an hour down to 10 minutes.
Switching from mulch mode to rear discharge & back again is only a twist of a lever away.

·
Corndog Hater
11,873 Posts
We will both be using it. I don't mind a push mower but I think she prefers a self propelled.

She wants something that is mulching or rear discharge. No side discharge at all.

Pull start is fine. Especially if it's a Honda. They start pretty easy.

I grew up on old lawn boy mowers. My grandparents had one from the late 70's early 80's and then again in the 90's. loved those mowers.

If I could still get a 2 stroke one. They would be on the list.

This looks a lot like what I grew up with. :)

Love the look and sound of those old 2 stroke Lawn Boys

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have used the John Deere 14sb mowers since the early 90s, they are an amazing mower. The Kawasaki motors are almost bullet proof. The 14sb was replaced by the jx75 in the early 2000s, not sure exact year. The jx75 is every bit as good as the 14sb in my opinion. There have been a few variations of this model over the years. The cut quality is really good and they are capable of mulching bagging and side discharge. We mulch with ours and bag leaves in the fall

·
Registered
913 Posts
Based on your posts, any of the top rated mowers in the latest Consumer Reports tests of 50 self-propelled mowers would do the job for you. And, to make it simpler, all the top-rated self-propelled mowers except one were manufactured by Honda. There was a single Toro model which fell among the Honda models, but all the other Toro's were below all the Honda's.

Lawn Boy, which I bought more out of nostalgia than common sense, was somewhere in the middle of the pack. It has a Kohler engine with automatic choke. The automatic choke is a frequent failure item, and the replacement part is about $80. I know since I just replaced the one on mine last weekend. Easy to replace, just pricey. Next time it fails, I've already figured a way to convert it to a manual choke.

In a do-over world, I'd choose Honda. I have both a Honda generator and pressure washer with Honda engines which have been flawless. The pressure washer pump has failed twice, but that part is Chinese.

·
Premium Member
15,350 Posts
If your lawn is sloped stay away from low end models of Toro ,,well at least the rear wheel drive models.

Daughters FIL bought one apx 5 yrs ago, the rear wheels would strip the plastic gears about every other week of mowing. If the mower has white wheels DO NOT BUY... the metal gears are on the gray colored wheels. After one season and I'm thinking the first or second time mowing he let my JD dealer allow him $100 toward a Honda rear wheel drive . No problems after 3+ years., He also has a JD JE 75 rear drive push mower I'm guessing it is 15 yrs old.

·
Premium Member
15,350 Posts
Wish Deere still made a push mower.

Found this on Craigslist.

Hmmm.

Good find... the daughters FIL has one of those also.

He had a LawnBoy Silver Series , he gave it to me (I gave him $25) . I have it at a repair shop getting a new drive bell and a gas leak fixed.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My Honda string trimmer is awesome. Kinda why I'm leaning that way. He thing just always works. Have had it about years now. No issues with it at all.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Wish Deere still made a push mower.
If that mower in the picture is the one you are considering from Craigs List make sure that it has all three of the deck inserts. The one on the deck in the picture is either the one for side discharge or for mulching. The mulching plate has an extension that blocks the discharge opening. The third plate funnels the clippings upward and backward into a collection bag. If it doesn't come with all 3 plates and the bag and bag support you might have a hard time finding them to buy separately at decent prices.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts