Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we did not have too much snow in MA, I did burn a lot of time pushing with a bucket and back blade. I am thinking about either getting like AS10F (I was thinking 48" with a backdrag), or should I get something else?

I have X330 and a snowblower for it. It worked fine for a couple of years, but I got tired of spending too much time clearing the driveway (not thinking about 1st couple of winters with a walk-behind blower). Did not use it last winter.

1023e with back blade worked better last winter, but it took forever.

Thoughts?
Slope Font Parallel Pattern Plot

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Only a 108 feet and blacktop, you are lucky. I have over a 1/10 mile and a large circle plus the large area in front of the barn and it is all gravel. Sometimes takes three hours to get cleaned and I am in the lake effect area of northern Michigan. Fortunately we didn’t get a lot of snow last year as I only went through about 20 gallons of diesel, normally I use over 50 gallons. I do use the 47” blower and have since 1995, first on the 445 and now on the 1026R. Tried the 54” front blade the winter of 93-94 and 94-95, gave up and got the blower in late January or early February 95 and have never looked back. I had to replace the blower in 2009 as the metal in the fan housing wore through from all the gravel over the years and the current blower is showing signs it’s also going to be failing in the next few years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Snow

I love my snow pusher. I did however order the Back Drag option that is a game changer. You can get right up tight too shop doors. I am on a gravel driveway and I did not want a blower cuz I did not want to pick up stones 40 ft from the driveway. If I had a fully asphalt driveway I would probably still go with a pusher.😉

·
Registered
670 Posts
mine was 200' plus blacktop. I would use a back blade and just drive down the driveway with the blade angled to the side then back up the other side pushing the snow off onto the berms. All this is going forward tractor going over the snow then the blade, never had an issue. Plowing backwards was a pain in the ***. so I tried it this way. Did it this way for 10 years. Ohio so a fair amount of snow. The blade was about a foot wider than the tractor wheel width on each side. Some years had to push it back a little further. Also I would put a 50 lb. plate on the blade for down force if we got some ice always worked.
4wd diesel Kubota with a manual trans, one of the reasons I tried to keep going forward didn't want to shift.
I used my 420 with a front blade and rubber cutting edge on my pavers, top of driveway and courtyard between the garages.

·
Registered
2015 2025r 62mmm h130 af10f plow forks 62 disc ripper and a woods m5 Dixie mower
1,231 Posts
I whould say blower or pusher I really want a pusher as well but I’m sure I want to send the money

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My challenge is the part of the driveway by the garage. There is nowhere to push snow to. Even when I was snowblowing, I would blow the snow to the middle of the driveway and then to the side over evergreens lining the driveway.
While not terrible size, the layout sucks.

Definitely not worth to me to blow $3k+ for a blower. So was thinking blade or pusher in under $1.5k range

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
The tractor will easily handle a 60 inch blade/plow.You can search on here and see a lot of discussion about plows. I have a 60 inch one for mine that mounts onto the fel. I can stack it higher that way. I push it way off my driveway. I had my neighbor build mine. It was a front mount one at first.

SullyBear moves a ton of snow and has many write ups about plow widths. He uses a custom plow at 80 inches wide. He has backups too.

Anyway, I plowed both ways. With the bucketor plow on gravel, asphalt n grass. I plow 2 long drives and the neighbors if there is ice. NE PA.

Good luck!
Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire

·
Registered
292 Posts
Blowers or front mounted brooms don’t work work well if you are located where u get a lot of windy conditions as the snow when your blowing blows back on the driveway. I live in the country on a hill for 35 years and went through that issue, no blowers or brooms, tried them both, where I live.
Another issue I have to deal with is I can’t blow, or push snow into the road. I can’t push across the road as I have a neighbors driveway across from mine. if we plow onto the road we r required by law to push it along side of the roadway off of the paved road surface, leaving no piles or mounds on the pavement. This eliminates a snow pusher for me.
With that said I found the best for me is a loader mounted 6’ hyd. Angled plow. I can get within inches of garage doors back dragging in front of them. Any snow I push onto the road, I can then plow along down the road with blade angled off the paved surface. I also found to only plow to the right side of the road, if I plow it to the left the road snow plow operator will just plow the snow back into my driveway with his wing plow.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK so sounds like blade is the answer for my funky driveway. Definitely want to go FEL mounted one. Besides finding a used one and welding it to one of those blank mounts, what is out there budget friendly? Don’t mind manually angling it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
While we did not have too much snow in MA, I did burn a lot of time pushing with a bucket and back blade. I am thinking about either getting like AS10F (I was thinking 48" with a backdrag), or should I get something else?

I have X330 and a snowblower for it. It worked fine for a couple of years, but I got tired of spending too much time clearing the driveway (not thinking about 1st couple of winters with a walk-behind blower). Did not use it last winter.

1023e with back blade worked better last winter, but it took forever.

Thoughts?
View attachment 854780
That’s very similar to the layout of our driveway. I use a loader-mounted front blade (AF10F) and it works well. Just need to plan out in advance where you want to / can stack the snow and then adjust your clearing pattern to match. (In my case, we have some hills bordering the driveway that made that decision for me.) I clean up the edges with a small Toro snowblower or the ol’ manual lifter (shovel). We do occasionally get some big drifts since we are surrounded by farm fields. The blade comes off and bucket goes on when I need to clear those out.

Reactions: agurkas

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
Front blade with hydraulics will do it all for you.

Vehicle Automotive tire Green Motor vehicle Wheel

Motor vehicle Grass Road surface Groundcover Landscape
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Machine

Plant Motor vehicle Green Tree Automotive tire

·
Registered
1023e, H120, 60D MMM
193 Posts
60” AS10F works great on my 400’ gravel with 2500sf of pavement by the house. The drive rises 20’ from the road to the house. Likely cheaper than an loader mounted plow, much cheaper than a blower. You can find other brands as well, HLA is good too (couldn’t find one last year myself), there’s a place in Indiana south of Indianapolis that makes them too. Steel isn’t cheap now so start looking now and check used as well. I paid $500 for my used pusher last spring with poly skids and rubber edges for both main and back drag. I think it’s about $1300 new now.
Wheel Tire Snow Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
60” AS10F works great on my 400’ gravel with 2500sf of pavement by the house. The drive rises 20’ from the road to the house. Likely cheaper than an loader mounted plow, much cheaper than a blower. You can find other brands as well, HLA is good too (couldn’t find one last year myself), there’s a place in Indiana south of Indianapolis that makes them too. Steel isn’t cheap now so start looking now and check used as well. I paid $500 for my used pusher last spring with poly skids and rubber edges for both main and back drag. I think it’s about $1300 new now.
AS10F with backdrag is MSRPing at $1300 for 60".

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,863 Posts
I have cleared snow with them all. Here are my opinions based upon experiences with them all. Keep in mind when I go out to clear snow, its usually 30 or more residential driveways with a number of variables and I am usually clearing snow for 3 to 4 hours, so its much more than simply clearing my own residential driveway.

Snow blowers are ok but without a cab you wear the snow and they leave a packed down surface which turns to ice and then is a problem to deal with and add to the traction challenges as well as add risk to the walking and getting in and out of vehicles in the drive. Snow blowers can also seriously struggle with wet heavy snow. Snow blowers are my 2nd to the last choice if its mounted on the front quik tach hitch. I am not interested in a 3ph snow blower which requires me to blow snow working backwards. Simply wouldn't own one.

An inverted 3ph snow blower I would consider, but they are hindered by the low ground clearance of the 1 series. Plus they are by far, the most expensive snow clearing option. If the tractor has sufficient ground clearance (2038R or larger) they are a very good snow clearing option and the best of the 3 snow blower options by far.

Snow Plows
I don't like the geometry of a FEL mounted plow. The benefits of the curl function on a traditional FEL bucket aren't helpful on a FEL plow. In fact, they are a hindrance in my opinion, plus I don't like the plow that far ahead of the tractor. Also the geometry of the FEL plow isn't ideal for back dragging and clearing. This plow does excel in snow stacking ability, but that's the only advantage in my opinion. This is my last choice.

The Quik Tach hitch mounted plow works very well and is superior to the FEL mounted plows in all functions except stacking snow, which is as long as the plow is set up right. It's down sides are limited lift height, but there are many ways to deal with that limitation. As long as the plow has a rubber plow scraper edge, the shoes are raised or removed entirely, the plow has a top flap on it to roll the snow, you can plow a lot of snow very quickly and efficiently. The plow needs to be at least 66" wide in my opinion and my 87" wide plow has cleared over 1,500 driveways very successfully and profitably.

The snow pusher is a great way to push snow as long as you don't get dumped on with wet heavy snow loads which are 9" or more in depth, If you do, you are going to have a really tough time pushing that snow with that pusher unless you have the right ballast, the Versa Turfs and lots of experience and even then, the wet heavy snow is going to be very difficult to push in volume with the pusher. If you get "normal snows" the majority of the time and you have a CTA snow pusher with the back clearing option, you are going to have an outstanding piece of snow clearing equipment.

My CTA snow pusher with the back drag option is my 1st choice and go to piece. If we have a lot of wet heavy snow, I will switch to my 66" CTA Quik Tach mounted plow. My CTA snow pusher is the largest they make, at 72" wide. Personally, I wouldn't want it any narrower. With the right scraped edge, the CTA Snow pusher clears the pavement very well. Same with the 66" CTA plan and my 87" custom make plow. These are both excellent snow clearing options and very versatile.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
I have cleared snow with them all. Here are my opinions based upon experiences with them all. Keep in mind when I go out to clear snow, its usually 30 or more residential driveways with a number of variables and I am usually clearing snow for 3 to 4 hours, so its much more than simply clearing my own residential driveway.

Snow Plows
I don't like the geometry of a FEL mounted plow. The benefits of the curl function on a traditional FEL bucket aren't helpful on a FEL plow. In fact, they are a hindrance in my opinion, plus I don't like the plow that far ahead of the tractor. Also the geometry of the FEL plow isn't ideal for back dragging and clearing. This plow does excel in snow stacking ability, but that's the only advantage in my opinion. This is my last choice.
Sulley,
We'll have to agree to disagree. A normal snow fall in my part of the country ranges from 1-2 feet, with severe storms ranging up to 3 feet. I have been plowing my entire life and have yet to find a job where the plow was the wrong tool. I have also used an industrial Ariens blower, and although it did the job well, the time to clear multiple properties was quite excessive, and the weight of the blower put a strain on my well over 60 body.

You mentioned plowing ahead of the tractor, however, the Frontier plow I use is no further out than the edge of the bucket it replaced.

I have rear pads on my plow now, and it is those pads that help bring the blade back to the same angle every time. However, the curl function allows me to attack ice agressively which I find quite useful.

Back dragging is very easy to perform and with the curl I can literally put the edge of the blade right at the door.

Stacking snow is beyond belief. I have never run out of room and have stacked snow as high as 6-8 feet without any problems

This past season I did not use my chains and have found my VersaTurf tire to be more than capable of doing the job without them.

I plow eight (8) driveways and parking pads. Most are uphill, all are 2-3 cars wide, and all are over 200 feel long. It take 2.5 hours to do them all.

Tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Car

Adaptation Grass Gas Tints and shades Tree

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Plant Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,305 Posts
if we plow onto the road we r required by law to push it along side of the roadway off of the paved road surface, leaving no piles or mounds on the pavement
Didn’t know it required a written law to do the right thing?!

My vote is for a snow push, I have a plow, snow push and a rear snow blower. The perfect setup IMO is a pusher on the front and a blower on the rear.

Reactions: Gizmo2
1 - 20 of 27 Posts