Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK yesterday I measured, raised and lowered my Quick Hitch for clearances. Came up with 2 matching places to mount 2- Small 30 Cal Ammo Cans on the right and left inside back edges of the Quick Hitch. I needed a place to keep 2 short bucket haul chains and several pins and links. My factory JD fender tool box is running out of room for stuff! Now I will have a bigger storage area and the tool boxes won't block my view looking out the back. I removed one tool box for this reason but still need the storage space on my 4044M tractor. Ordered the New Ammo Cans for $30.00 which included shipping. Once on I will post pictures. I will bend a steel bracket to go on the Quick Hitch to keep them solid and not crack the sheet metal bouncing around. The bracket will be mounted with bolts using drilled and tapped holes in the Hitch. They are about 4" wide by 7" tall and 11 1/2" long perfect to fit there and not hit my fuel tank when I raise the Hitch up.

They are this size; ammo can.jpg

They mount to the Cross Top Steel one on each side flush with the top on the rear tractor side. Hitch5.png

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Now just add the tri-pod mounted with your favorite "um" :rocket: semi-auto and your ready to go.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
You may want to refer to my ammo can toolbox installation at Ammo Can Tool Box for iMatch on 2038R I used a 50cal box which is larger, but had plenty of room. I came up with a way to install it without having to drill into the iMatch. Another thing to think about.......I put mine on the right side as I need the space on the left side to hook up the PTO shaft, since I am right handed.

Dave

toolbox2.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts
How much chain (size and length), can you fit in a .30cal can? I'd think 10-14ft or so of 1/4" or 5/16"?

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How much chain (size and length), can you fit in a .30cal can? I'd think 10-14ft or so of 1/4" or 5/16"?
I have 2 - 5/16" x 5 ft long chains I use to pick up cows and such with my 2 end bucket hooks. Makes it easy to do with 2 short ones hanging off the ends of the bucket to hook to the feet. That will live me room for the pins and things like that. My fuel Tank sticks out and when my 3 point lifts all the way up there is only room for the smaller ammo can. 100_3402.JPG 100_3404.JPG

I got the brackets for the Ammo Cans bolted in place for a test fit then they will get painted. I raised the Hitch again with them on and 3/4" spare room on the fuel tank gap. 2 Small ammo cans is like one 50 cal ammo can in volume. This also gives me lots of room for my PTO Shaft and hook up of it to the tractor.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All but tge Cans done

I got the 2 mounts finished and test fitted a Ammo Can to check. Painted them green and the rest later. Here are a few picts; 100_3544.JPG 100_3551.JPG 100_3553.JPG 100_3555.JPG Got me thinking on the Chain fitting and both will fit in one can no problem. Also putting a rubber spacer in to help absorb any vibration to the can. 100_3560.JPG

·
Registered
643 Posts
Nice, looks good.
Think a textured bed liner on the inside would help?

How often do you hookup PTO powered implements?

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Nice, looks good.
Think a textured bed liner on the inside would help?

How often do you hookup PTO powered implements?
My Brush Hog and Snow Blower uses a PTO Shaft but I can still get to the shaft having the smaller boxes. But I don't use the brush hog much and the rear snow blower winter will decide that. I still have to finish welding up the Snow Blower and then the PTO Shaft will be test fitted to make sure it is easy to put on and off with the rear blade. I have some more textured rubber I can put some in the bottom of each can and I will put a drain hole in each can.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Right on.
If I was ever to want to take a John Deere tractor on a Safari, yours would be my first choice. You have all the stuff on it to keep going.:greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finished except Green Paint!

Got the 2 Ammo Boxes in the mail today and put them on. Filled them up, one side with both chains and the other Pins, Winch Pulley, Hay Spear Wrench ETC. I am happy with the job and I could go bigger by dropping them down if needed. That probley would block the easy install of my PTO Shaft Equipment and Upper 3 Point Adjustments. 100_3564.JPG 100_3566.JPG 100_3568.JPG 100_3561.JPG 100_3562.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,042 Posts
Right on.
If I was ever to want to take a John Deere tractor on a Safari, yours would be my first choice. You have all the stuff on it to keep going.:greentractorride:
Your not kidding and his work is always top notch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have 2 - 5/16" x 5 ft long chains I use to pick up cows and such with my 2 end bucket hooks. Makes it easy to do with 2 short ones hanging off the ends of the bucket to hook to the feet. That will live me room for the pins and things like that. My fuel Tank sticks out and when my 3 point lifts all the way up there is only room for the smaller ammo can. View attachment 688894 View attachment 688896

I got the brackets for the Ammo Cans bolted in place for a test fit then they will get painted. I raised the Hitch again with them on and 3/4" spare room on the fuel tank gap. 2 Small ammo cans is like one 50 cal ammo can in volume. This also gives me lots of room for my PTO Shaft and hook up of it to the tractor.
Okay, I gotta ask (for a friend:flag_of_truce:), why are you picking up cows by the feet with chains:wasntme:?

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Okay, I gotta ask (for a friend:flag_of_truce:), why are you picking up cows by the feet with chains:wasntme:?
Wait until you see the answer.........:hide:

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you shoot a cow to butcher it you have to transport it to a location to split the carcass which is at my Daughters Shop that has a beam with a winch on it to lift the dead cow up. Some times Heavy Elk come in that need lifting out of trucks too. DSCF3423.JPG

·
Registered
61 Posts
When you shoot a cow to butcher it you have to transport it to a location to split the carcass which is at my Daughters Shop that has a beam with a winch on it to lift the dead cow up. Some times Heavy Elk come in that need lifting out of trucks too. View attachment 689834
That makes perfect sense:thumbup1gif:, but with 2 chains, cows feet and a tractor for some reason I thought you were leading up to a joke, like Johnny Carson did in years past:oops:Thanks for the reply.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts