Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to do this for some time now. Actually since we bought the property 2 1/2 years ago.

We have two ponds, one is 15 feet of so higher than the other. The upper pond drains through a ditch to the lower pond. The ditch is/was in pretty rough shape. I have been cleaning it out and hardening the sides with large rip-rap.

There is one spot that we use to cross on foot and with the Gator, however I cannot get the tractor or ZTR through it because of the slope. to get to the back of the property I have to drive around the west perimeter of the property.

A while back I found a 10 foot length of 36" diameter dual wall culvert. It is normally sold in 20 foot lengths and I didn't need that much culvert. Since it has been dry the upper pond level has dropped enough that the ditch dried up. The dam at the spillway is a hodge podge of concrete blocks, but that is another project. :laugh:

Since I have mentioned my project in the Good Morning thread I figured I better post some pictures before I get busted. :hide:

Here is what it looked like when I got started.

20190809_184444.jpg

A previous owner that did a lot of work around the property thought that construction debris was good fill material. Broken brick & concrete block, chucks of asphalt & concrete, etc were used as fill and then dirt just pushed over it. I have been digging this stuff up in several places. This is just some of the stuff I dug out.

20190810_133113.jpg

Dug out the junk and cleaned up the bottom. Then dropped in the culvert to see how it fit.

20190810_133153.jpg

20190810_140710.jpg

Once I had the bottom the way I wanted I sunk 4 anchors in the ground and lashed it in place.

20190810_161730.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Once I had the culvert set I started filling and compacting Dense Grade Aggregate (DGA)

20190810_193924.jpg

My next step was to pound in T posts, then used pieces of cattle panel fence to retain rip-rap for the wing walls.

20190811_193730.jpg

20190811_193810.jpg

Now the fun part. Putting large heavy rocks in around T posts and wire fencing, all with sharp edges....

20190812_182229.jpg

In some places I am mixing #3 rock in with the rip-rap to fill the voids.

20190812_182314.jpg

More DGA

20190814_115218.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next thing was to start building the retaining walls for the sides. I had several pieces of telephone pole that I was saving for this project. If I am lucky I'll be able to purchase a couple more poles. I have enough to get level with the top of the pipe, but I want at least another 8+ inches of material on top of the pipe.

20190814_174547.jpg

More DGA

20190815_130315.jpg

20190815_144922.jpg

View from the woods side. This is where I left off yesterday evening. I still have the poles to set for the upper end and then it is back to hauling more DGA.

20190815_192356.jpg

Once I get the DGA flat with the top of the pipe my next chore will be to anchor the wing wall posts. I am going to dig some holes back up the bank and set anchors, then use a come-a-long to pull tension on the T posts, then attach the anchors to the T posts with cable at or just below ground level.

Once I have the top poles set, I will pound the T posts flush or cut them off.

When I set the top pole, I am going to use ground anchors to secure the poles to the ground. Then I start setting more rip-rap where needed.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Nice job. I have to replace my bridge entering my driveway to the house. I am not sure yet how I want to go. Steel culvert, flat ribbed bridge steel, or just concrete. The current bridge is flat ribbed bridge steel and has been there for about 50 years. Over time it has rotted and small rocks and debris has filled it to a point when the stream get high it over flows the bridge. Your should last a long time.

·
Premium Member
14,720 Posts
Looks like it should hold and good job..

:bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
that baby(culvert) should hold and last till the cows come home for milking--:laugh::bigthumb: or the chickens to roost!!!!

nice pics and write up-will be waiting for the rest of it:munch:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,741 Posts
Outstanding!! :good2:

Thought you were just putting in a culvert from the Good Morning thread description, but from the pics, you're

***You're putting in a culvert!!!***

·
Old Pa-pa
11,741 Posts
View attachment 700094 Buddy, That's a lot of work you did there. Sure glad I live so far away and didn't have to help. :munch:
Looks good. :thumbup1gif:
Yup, but it's such a waste of your legendary supervisory skills. :thumbup1gif: :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
View attachment 700094 Buddy, That's a lot of work you did there. Sure glad I live so far away and didn't have to help. :munch:
Looks good. :thumbup1gif:
There is still more to do. :munch:

Yup, but it's such a waste of your legendary supervisory skills. :thumbup1gif: :lol:
I have two supervisors. See picture #1.

Nice work. Make sure your compacting the heck out of the side fills and put plenty on top, and it will last forever. Those plastic pipes will flex if their not tucked in properly.
I kept a wide base and tamped it in 3" layers coming up to the haunches paying close attention next to the pipe. Once I got to the haunches I hammered the snot out of it.

I am not getting very much deflection in the material so I think I am getting it solid.

We have rain forecasted for next week which should help everything settle in.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
That's some good looking work there, rtgt! No wonder you've been getting soaked every day. Are you able to get your dump trailer down there or are you carrying the material with the tractor?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're doing a better more detailed job than out county highway department.

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's some good looking work there, rtgt! No wonder you've been getting soaked every day. Are you able to get your dump trailer down there or are you carrying the material with the tractor?
No dump trailer, just a 20' equipment trailer that I put side boards on.

Wish I had a loading ramp to back up to so that I could scoop off the material with the loader.

I just shovel it into the loader and then carry it down. Except the rip-rap, I don't shovel it.

·
Registered
22,699 Posts
No dump trailer, just a 20' equipment trailer that I put side boards on.

Wish I had a loading ramp to back up to so that I could scoop off the material with the loader.

I just shovel it into the loader and then carry it down. Except the rip-rap, I don't shovel it.
Oh man....I also thought you had a dump trailer all this time. No wonder you are sweating so much!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Nice job :bigthumb:
From the pictures and quick description it looks like you have a pretty sweet piece of property

1 - 20 of 106 Posts