Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up here in Vermont the recent frosts have killed everything at this point so I am in the process of putting the garden to bed for the winter.

I still have a few rows of potatoes in the ground but for the rest of it I was thinking about spreading some manure and then tilling it into the soil before everything freezes.

This will be my first fall / winter season with a tiller attachment for the tractor so I was wondering what the rest of you gardeners did around this time of year.

I haven't posted in a while so I thought this might be a worth while question to share.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
I pulled everything but my carrots from my beds this past weekend. I have raised beds so no tiller but... I fill my boxes with a combination of rabbit and chicken manure compost and let it sit on top for the winter and then till it in come spring.

·
Premium Member
14,750 Posts
Tilled ours up last week in Aug, spread some lime and then sowed some oats . Nice and green at the present time.

·
Premium Member
5,981 Posts
It's too dry & hard to do much here, hopefully, it will rain tomorrow!

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Tilled under the gardens last weekend. I dumped several bushel of grass clippings on and then tilled them under. Still have leaves, but they just get dumped on top for the winter or burnt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Picked tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, peppers, green beans, and broccoli yesterday. The weather here has been great for an extended harvest this year. It can change at any moment and then the putting the garden to bed thing will start.

·
Premium Member
5,981 Posts
Shredded some more plants today. 35* predicted tonight, we've had frost a couple times, but not killing frost --- yet!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I pull all the dead plants and all my grass and leaves get mulched onto the garden and sit there to spring protecting ground. I till, manure etc in spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts