Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Administrator
20,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I searched, LOL. Found a few threads on Eby reels, one on nozzles, but only one on hoses.

I need a high quality hose to go on my reel, the one I have now is 75' and that a perfect length for our needs. What's good, what's bad, what's the best?

·
Super Moderator
6,290 Posts

·
Registered
13,543 Posts
i bought 3 of Lowe's heavy duty hoses back in 2001-50ft length-i paid a hefty price that day-still got them yet-but they are looking rough i have to admit-oh. i needed that much length back then so we could water our garden-they have laid out in the sun all summer for yrs--never got brittle yet. had brass ends to them---good luck--and be watching what ya decide to buy

·
Administrator
20,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
15,968 Posts
The 5/8-inch connecting hose that came with my Eley reel is uber quality. Brass ends and very well made. That quality is reflected in the price. A 75-footer costs $142 and has a 10-year guarantee.

The two 100-foot hoses that I use on my Eley reel are Gilmour Flexogen Heavy Duty. They have a lifetime guarantee. I had one of their 100-footers spring a leak after 10 years of use and they sent me a free replacement.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I own around 1,000 total feet of garden hoses. Most are the big box types I bought when we retired and bought a horse farm and I needed to run water to troughs and tripod impulse sprinklers to get grass established. Most are the so-called premium vinyl hoses, and they are OK, but they get stiff in cooler weather, and tend to kink and are hard to roll. They get compressed rolling them on a hose reel, and need to be completely unwound to let them expand back out for decent flow. Most have aluminum couplers, and I have had several of them fuse to my brass hose bibs when leaving them on too long.

Before the move I owned three hoses, all rubber. I still have them, and they are my primary go-to hoses for the pressure washer, barn use, and car washing chores. All three are easily 20 years old. Two are Craftsman brand rubber hoses, but the best of them all is a Gates brand rubber hose. I don't recall any specifics, or even remember where I got the Gates hose, just that it seemed expensive at the time. Bottom line - reinforced rubber hose, with brass couplers.

And on a hose-related topic, I recently bought silicone hose washers on Amazon. They are fantastic, they seal way better than the rubber types, and were under $6.00 for a pack of 40.

PurDream Outdoor Garden Hose Silicone Washer Gasket, 40Pcs Red O-Rings Silicone Washer Gasket Combo Pack for 3/4 Inch Garden Hose and Water Faucet

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,984 Posts
My experience is different. I've had bad luck with the "industrial" & "commercial" grade hoses from the big boxes stores, lasting a year or two - failure point being the "rugged" hose connectors. I've had my current "low grade" green hose for 4+ years, left out in the winter (drained) and its been great and problem free.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The two 100-foot hoses that I use on my Eley reel are Gilmour Flexogen Heavy Duty. They have a lifetime guarantee. I had one of their 100-footers spring a leak after 10 years of use and they sent me a free replacement.
Agreed, I have two , they really stand up to abuse!

·
Premium Member
12,776 Posts
<Edited for correction>

Misread Kenny's post. Thought he was looking for the hose reel also. I bought the best hose I could find when I bought the Reelcraft hose reel 20+ years ago and not an issue with either,
I sure like the hose reel and the hoses have been wonderful....If you want a true high quality hose reel consider ReelCraft.

·
Registered
113 Posts
25+ years ago, I purchased 3 50' rubber Craftsman hoses with brass ends. Craftsman guaranteed forever (as long as Sears or the brand exists?)

Other than gasket replacement, normal for any hose, these hoses have been great. The more I used them, the more flexible they became. They were expensive, but have been worth their cost and still serve me well.

I recently purchased 2 150' 'Menards specials' for very little $ because I needed 300' of 'disposable' hose. I think the tags said they had a 3 or 5 year guarantee...did not save receipt because they were really inexpensive. This will be their second season 'living in direct sunlight.' If they last a few years, they too are worth their cost,

For every day (under pressure, need to not leak, servicing livestock), I would again purchase quality hoses.

·
Administrator
20,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anything Craftsman "25 years ago" or more was good quality with great great warranty. Today, you couldn't give me anything with that name on it, Lowe's should have just let it die.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I bough the last Eley reel at my ag supply house. After throwing away plastic reels every 2 years this one seems "real". Only problem is that for >100 foot you need the extension collar which is a few bucks more. Expensive but worth it.

Wished I could remember the brand of hose I bought last year but senility is setting in. Bought from the same supply house and it has real brass fittings and a lifetime guarantee and supposedly made in the USA. Was on sale for perhaps $70 and is ag/industrial quality without being as hard as a 1 1/2" fire booster line.

Bigger problem is finding a trigger nozzle that doesn't have at least one junky plastic component.

·
Premium Member
15,968 Posts
Anything Craftsman "25 years ago" or more was good quality with great great warranty. Today, you couldn't give me anything with that name on it, Lowe's should have just let it die.
Isn't that the truth. My dad was a mechanic for 45+ years and never thought twice about buying Craftsman anything. Our local Sears was fully stocked and whether you wanted a ratchet, impact wrench, tap & die set, etc. you bought a Craftsman, the price was right, it lasted for decades and had a lifetime warranty. Now it's just a label.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Isn't that the truth. My dad was a mechanic for 45+ years and never thought twice about buying Craftsman anything. Our local Sears was fully stocked and whether you wanted a ratchet, impact wrench, tap & die set, etc. you bought a Craftsman, the price was right, it lasted for decades and had a lifetime warranty. Now it's just a label.
Sadly most brand names that took decades to build have since been whored away to junk status.

·
Premium Member
15,968 Posts
Sadly most brand names that took decades to build have since been whored away to junk status.
Kenny brought up one of my pet peeves though. It used to be easy to buy stuff. When I needed a garden hose I just went to the store and bought the length I needed and it was fine and years later I was still using that same hose. Most things didn't require a weeks research. Now, even a simple task like buying a garden hose requires extensive research and references because "everything is junk". It seems more and more whenever I need simple things there is no such thing as "getting a good one". Even spending more still gets the same junk with a different label.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have a Goodyear rubber hose with brass ends. I dont remeber where I got it.. but Ive had it a long time, and it is just great cold or hot...
I've had the "cold weather" plastic big box hoses and they were ok.. but got brittle after a while and turned to garbage.
I bought the super heavy duty Harbor Freight one... and if its below 60 out, forget about uncoiling it from the roller.. hard as a rock.
Last year I bought a Stanley FatMax, and am impressed so far. It has nice grips on the ends, and stays flexible cold.
The only thing I dont like, is that the water comes out foamy sometimes when it has gone unused fro some time, from whatever they manufacutered or treated the hose with. I'd never ever drink from (or my pets) this hose.

·
Registered
838 Posts
It used to be easy to buy stuff. When I needed a garden hose I just went to the store and bought the length I needed and it was fine and years later I was still using that same hose. Most things didn't require a weeks research.
A-men! hours of reading crowdsourced reviews or monetized bozos affiliate feeds now to figure out whether to pass or buy.

Used to be nice to go to Sears and know that your Craftsman tool or Allstate tires or Kenmore appliance or DieHard battery were proof-tested.

I fear most things are like that. Including our beloved Green Machines that seem to be nothing more than a Manhindra assembled in GA.

·
Registered
142 Posts
We are still using 23 year old Sears hose. Made by Goodyear. It’s starting to smudge some so we found 3/4 continental rubber hose online. Seems just as durable

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Ken I was actually looking for replacement hose also let me know what you find I know you will do good research on it I need a 100ft hose the one I have now was a Lowe's 3/4 100ft lasted about 6 years but in the summer it sits in the sun all day it only gets moved for mowing its main use is watering garden

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I have a 100 footer off a brush truck. That's a good hose. I bought one of those expending-contracting ones for the wife to use for watering, hole in it within 2 months. I bought a 3/4 inch hose from Sam's Club, look good and durable. 2 years and it was hard as a rock. I continue to look for a good long lasting hose.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts