Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Hope everyone has weathered the winter well, its trying to hang on here in Maine but the end is in sight. So when we got our new 2017 1023e last fall after a quick Google search at the dealers desk I decided to not finance over 3k for a mower deck and planned on buying a used/take-off this spring with cash.
Ive found quite a bit just south of here for around $1,800-2,000 model year 2015-2017 with most looking brand new. But today I found a 2012 7 Iron 60D mower deck for $1000 about an hour north of me. My question is this, will a 2012 60D mower deck fit my 2017 1023e? I cant seem to get anything other than the canned "you should really buy a 2017 deck" from my dealer, so I figured I would shake the tree here?
It is just the basic mechanical lift deck, but from the pictures it looks like it has never been used and $1000 is way below msrp of the new one so I would be stoked if it did fit?
Thanks in advance if anyone can offer advice! Frontier blower did stellar this winter, but im ready to mow some grass! Just as soon as the snow melts that is. :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hello,
Hope everyone has weathered the winter well, its trying to hang on here in Maine but the end is in sight. So when we got our new 2017 1023e last fall after a quick Google search at the dealers desk I decided to not finance over 3k for a mower deck and planned on buying a used/take-off this spring with cash.
Ive found quite a bit just south of here for around $1,800-2,000 model year 2015-2017 with most looking brand new. But today I found a 2012 7 Iron 60D mower deck for $1000 about an hour north of me. My question is this, will a 2012 60D mower deck fit my 2017 1023e? I cant seem to get anything other than the canned "you should really buy a 2017 deck" from my dealer, so I figured I would shake the tree here?
It is just the basic mechanical lift deck, but from the pictures it looks like it has never been used and $1000 is way below msrp of the new one so I would be stoked if it did fit?
Thanks in advance if anyone can offer advice! Frontier blower did stellar this winter, but im ready to mow some grass! Just as soon as the snow melts that is. :)
Never heard the 1 Series deck called a 7-Iron, but have had them on X7 Series and zero turns.

I can't say for sure on the 2017 1023e, but I know on the 2017 1025r and newer that there are different attaching parts than 2016 and older. Last year I had to get different parts for a deck when taking it from a 2015 1025r to a 2017 1025r.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
The 1 series is a drive over deck. The hookups are way different then the way things used to be. Go to your dealer and really look at how they are and then compare that with what you see for sale.

·
Corndog Hater
11,773 Posts
I agree with Levi. It probably wouldn’t hurt to get the serial number off that 2012 MMM and take it with you to the dealer and maybe the parts department can help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the input everyone, figured Id ask and maybe, just maybe its be what I wanted to hear
It doesent say 7 iron, guessing im just mixing lines with x700 series.? Probably will just call them monday. That being said, already a couple times people here have been more knowledgeable than my local dealer. :/

·
Registered
203 Posts
I wish you lived closer to me. I have a 54” drive over deck I’m getting ready to sell. Only used it twice after I purchased my 1025r last fall and decided I wasn’t going to mow with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
This dispels a myth I heard about Maine...That you folks didn't mow grass till August...Than it was back to blowing snow:hide:

Good luck with the deck :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I appreciate the input everyone, figured Id ask and maybe, just maybe its be what I wanted to hear
It doesent say 7 iron, guessing im just mixing lines with x700 series.? Probably will just call them monday. That being said, already a couple times people here have been more knowledgeable than my local dealer. :/
The 60D used on the 1 series doesn't have a 7-Iron tag attached. They have an auto-connect decal attached instead, although, they are in fact 7-Iron decks. The mmm that is pictured in the link looks like a 1 series 60D mmm.

All 1 series mmm are drive over and auto connect to the tractor, like Levi mentioned. The biggest difference is whether they have the auto-connect PTO shaft or not. You can tell this by looking at the gearbox input shaft where the PTO shaft connects. If the splines are fine, then it is not designed for the auto-connect PTO shaft. If the input splines are course, then it is designed for the auto-connect PTO shaft.

Reactions: PJR832 and Levi

·
Registered
967 Posts
Google Randy Hill in Fort Fairfield, Maine. He is a Grey Market dealer. Great person to deal with. He usually has a Deck or two hanging about and travels throughout New England. He may have something for you by spring if not available now. It wouldn't surprise me the least if he delivers and sets it up for you. Like i said, Great Guy. PM me is you want his Ph#. He also sells on Craigslist and is a Curtis Cab Dealer. (Plug-Plug)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The 60D used on the 1 series doesn't have a 7-Iron tag attached. They have an auto-connect decal attached instead, although, they are in fact 7-Iron decks. The mmm that is pictured in the link looks like a 1 series 60D mmm.

All 1 series mmm are drive over and auto connect to the tractor, like Levi mentioned. The biggest difference is whether they have the auto-connect PTO shaft or not. You can tell this by looking at the gearbox input shaft where the PTO shaft connects. If the splines are fine, then it is not designed for the auto-connect PTO shaft. If the input splines are course, then it is designed for the auto-connect PTO shaft.
You’re saying any drive-over auto-connect 60D deck on a 1-series is a “7 iron”? I didn’t realize this, I thought there was the regular 60D and then the heavier 7-iron. Mine just says autoconnect 60D.

·
Administrator
20,849 Posts
That’s correct. The 7 Iron 60” deck has the same deck stamping as the 60D. :good2: Just no 7 Iron sticker.

I assume that would take away from the Auto-Connect sticker in its place.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
That’s correct. The 7 Iron 60” deck has the same deck stamping as the 60D.
Just no 7 Iron sticker.

Good to know! thanks

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
747 Posts
Pics from the link you posted............................................................

23778850_large.jpg

23778851_large.jpg

The chrome/silver "U" shaped steel bar has been removed from it's usual spot... make sure the spring to keep it elevated is with the deck....

It doesn't look all that different than my 54D deck. see spring and front arms on mine?

DSCF6519 - Copy.jpg

What did your tractor come with as far as lift parts for the deck??? You'll probably need a few things.

Have you spoken to Greenway about what you would need to make it work on your tractor?? You'll probably need something like this....

DSCF8992.jpg

That's the lift for a drive over/auto connect drive shaft... one end connects to the deck, the other to the mid PTO, one end of the long arms is pinned to the frame near the FEL mounts and the other are attached by pins to the parts in the picture below.. ... It usually stays on the tractor, but I removed mine for winter so I could connect the front blower.

I do not even pretend to know how tractors come from the factory if they're not sold/set up for a mower... so, if you look under the left side, between the wheels,towards the rear tire...... do you see something like this??????

DSCF8994.jpg

A question for the experts...... wouldn't a "2012" deck have probably been intended for a 1026r?..... So, wouldn't it probably fit an other "102xx" model tractor??? Or were there significant changes made along the years?????

Just wondering and trying to help..

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
You’re saying any drive-over auto-connect 60D deck on a 1-series is a “7 iron”? I didn’t realize this, I thought there was the regular 60D and then the heavier 7-iron. Mine just says autoconnect 60D.
Yep, as Jason said. The 7-iron simply means that the deck is made of 7 gauge steel. The 60D is also deeper/higher. The 60D that was used on the X7xx's had a 7-iron decal attached to them. The 60D that was used on the 1 series had the auto-connect decal attached.
The 60D is a 7 iron deck which is higher (meaning it has more space above the blade) and made of 7 gauge steel.

The 60D, being wider, will stick out the side of the tractor further which enables mowing around objects which makes it less likely that your will hit the ROPS lights.

There has been many debates on this forum concerning the 60D vs 54D. The 60D is an absolutely supreme mower deck. The issue many have is, not having them set up correctly and also trying to lower them to low when mowing. The 60D only moves about 1" from fully raised to 3" mowing height. Because of the extra height, the blades are only at about 4" when the deck is fully raised.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
There was a fellow in WI that had a deck for sale last year that I considered when purchasing the second 1025R. He just had the deck. No driveshaft, front brackets, lift arm, etc. By the time I priced out all that stuff to install his deck verses the price of a new deck, it worked out I could have given him $1000 for his deck, allowing for my trip to go get it, no warranty, and potential surprises.

Needless to say, he wasn't going to let it go for that and he understood my position. You may want to check all these details before you get to far pursuing a used deck.

JD also had a pretty substantial promotional discount when you bought two or more attachments with a tractor last year. I can't remember if that impacted the new deck price, but I'm thinking it did.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Knew I came to the right place, as expected you guys have a ton of great info! I will talk to that dealer tomorrow and see exactly what comes with it and of course, if they will move on the price. Im in no giant hurry as we could see our second snowstorm dropping 15" here in lovely Maine in the last 7 days.... :/
-As to how the tractor came or what is on it from the factory, there appears to be quite a few linkages on it that match some stuff I see above in a post, save for the auto connect driveshaft. If memory serves me correctly the auto connect shaft assembly I have found for around $500 new unless that wasent the whole needed package?
-We did receive a discount for 2 implements or more, the 120R loader and the Frontier snowblower but I just couldent in good consience add a few more thousand to the load, 0% or not when I was prepared to either buy a brand new one with cash or a take-off or used for alot less. I have found a couple take-offs that were never used & come with all the auto connect and mechanical lift parts etc for about $1000 less than Deere would do at the time of financing.
-That all being said, I plan on taking a much harder look at what exactly is hanging on the tractor for mower deck parts/linkages after seeing some of the above photos on whats needed.
-In an earlier thread I started here I came to the conclusion there were parts on my tractor that dident belong, ergo pretty much every part needed for cruise control except for a connecting rod from below the tractor to the lever up by the parking brake and that lever. Since its a 1023e, cruise control parts really shouldent be there. I also think there was a mowing deck on it until we purchased it and they took it off as I dident spec one, so there are some other parts on it that look mower related.
-I appreciate the education regarding 7Iron vs 60D and what that means and which models use it etc. Amazes me the detailed knowladge people here have about JD GT/SCUT/CUT snd attachments & implements. I wish I got even a fraction of that know-how out of my dealer, or any of the other ones I have spoken with. Dont get me wrong, service wise and financially, my local dealer has been great, but by a long shot, there are more knowledgeable people here for sure!
-Love the jab about the "Seasons here in Maine". Lol, for sure can be brutal here making it through the winter, but the summers and fall make up for it. Sometimes....... :/

·
Registered
22 Posts
That’s correct. The 7 Iron 60” deck has the same deck stamping as the 60D.
Just no 7 Iron sticker.

When I bought my 1025 last April, my dealer quoted me with the standard deck and then with the more expensive 7-iron. It was also listed that way in the sales brochure if I remember correctly. I do remember the conversation clearly though

·
Registered
747 Posts
Reactions: chex313

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
When I bought my 1025 last April, my dealer quoted me with the standard deck and then with the more expensive 7-iron. It was also listed that way in the sales brochure if I remember correctly. I do remember the conversation clearly though
Yea, there are most likely many mower decks that can be used on the 1025R. I know when I got mine, the 62" standard deck could have been used also. Don't actually know what is available now.

Reactions: chex313 and PJR832
1 - 20 of 25 Posts