Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new LG 55" TV. To avoid having to switch connection set ups, I need to buy a new DVD player as the one I have now is not HDMI or rated 4k UHD.

Here's my question: My TV signal is satellite & the TV screen is connected to the satellite controller box by HDMI cable. The back of my set has three HDMI connections. The TV is currently connected into HDMI 1 from the satellite box. So if I get a new HDMI DVD player do I plug it into any one of the other HDMI slots & WILL the TV find the DVD player or must I go & still change connection settings?

I'm sorry for the long winded & stupid question I'm asking, but the truth is I really stink at this electronic high tech junk. It took me like eight hours to get the TV to work. Everything is ON Screen, but if you don't know an HDMI from a ASI (I made up the ASI) or whatever, your basically screwed.

I just spent another two hours this morning getting my old DVD player to work with this TV. My old DVD player is giving me disc loading problems & it's six years old so I don't mind buying a new one with the HDMI connection, but I don't want to have to go through all those setting changes just to use it every time. Thanks for the advice & info. I hope you can understand my question. If you need more info just let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
You would plug the DVD into a second HDMI port - like HDMI2. Then when you want to switch from sat to DVD or back you will use your TV remote and hit the "source" or "input" button. A menu will come up on screen and use the arrow buttons to choose, then the enter button. Then you would control the DVD player with the remote that came with it.

You can try this before you hook anything up. Just be sure to choose your HDMI 1 to get back to your SAT tv.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would plug the DVD into a second HDMI port - like HDMI2. Then when you want to switch from sat to DVD or back you will use your TV remote and hit the "source" or "input" button. A menu will come up on screen and use the arrow buttons to choose, then the enter button. Then you would control the DVD player with the remote that came with it.

You can try this before you hook anything up. Just be sure to choose your HDMI 1 to get back to your SAT tv.
Thank you! While messing around with this stuff I did see the menu with the HDMI2 & HDMI3 selections. That answers my questions. And I now understand the switching between HDMI slots & the use of the DVD remote. So why can't these people who engineer this stuff throw in a simple printed explanation of this stuff like you just did here. Not everybody has grown up with this stuff. My first computer was PCDD. Short for "portable communication device with delete". Most of us would simply call it a pencil. :yahoo:

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
Thank you! While messing around with this stuff I did see the menu with the HDMI2 & HDMI3 selections. That answers my questions. And I now understand the switching between HDMI slots & the use of the DVD remote. So why can't these people who engineer this stuff throw in a simple printed explanation of this stuff like you just did here. Not everybody has grown up with this stuff. My first computer was PCDD. Short for "portable communication device with delete". Most of us would simply call it a pencil. :yahoo:
It is all assumed now I guess. It's all trial and error for us older folks.

That's like the icons on stuff like youtube for sharing or email - how is anyone supposed to know what those goofy little graphics mean? There is no such thing as "menu" anymore.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm not sure how LG works but on Samsung when you turn on the DVD/Blu-ray player the TV automatically senses the signal and says "switching to ANYNET+"
It looks like that is a trade name but LG has the same thing called SimpLink"

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sony tv,dvd sense each other as well, it does not auto change the source, but changes the name to the item that is connected, my ROKU 3 box also is named that in the source. Makes it a little easier to know what you are changing to if you have lots connected.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure how LG works but on Samsung when you turn on the DVD/Blu-ray player the TV automatically senses the signal and says "switching to ANYNET+"
It looks like that is a trade name but LG has the same thing called SimpLink"

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Your correct. While messing around with the various settings on my new LG, I did see "SimpLink
". I read it but did not understand what it was telling me. I need to go back in & find those instructions again. And also I've somewhat decided to try a Samsung blueray/dvd player. The one being sold as rated 4k UHD is on sale out here at Walmart for $98. I think. When I get the new player I will go back to that SimpLink instruction & see if I can get it working with the new player. Sounds like this Simpleton can use a SimpLink.:yahoo:

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
OK - my turn for a dumb question.....what is blueray? I've seen the term before on electronics websites but have no idea what it is.

It is just an upgraded higher quality DVD.

DAve

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Your correct. While messing around with the various settings on my new LG, I did see "SimpLink
". I read it but did not understand what it was telling me. I need to go back in & find those instructions again. And also I've somewhat decided to try a Samsung blueray/dvd player. The one being sold as rated 4k UHD is on sale out here at Walmart for $98. I think. When I get the new player I will go back to that SimpLink instruction & see if I can get it working with the new player. Sounds like this Simpleton can use a SimpLink.:yahoo:
That is not always a good thing. If you are watching something on satellite & accidentally push a button on the DVD remote, the TV will switch to the DVD player. I have a Amazon Fire TV box. All I have to do is move the Fire TV remote & the TV will switch to it. I have the remotes laying on an end table. I was always bumping the Fire TV remote when laying papers & magazines on the table. I ended up turning the feature off in the TV settings.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Maddog:

- If your TV supports multiple HDMI connections and you are currently only using one, you can add up to two more devices directly to the TV via HDMI connection. Plug a new DVD player into HDMI2 or HDMI3 (totally your choice).
- If your TV is NOT capable of 4K resolution (I didn't see where you mentioned it), then a BluRay DVD player is perfectly sufficient (and may be anyhow, even if you DO have a TV that supports 4K). These are quite a bit easier to get your hands on and are MUCH less expensive than 4K/UHD capable DVD players. Personally, I've watched a couple of UHD (4K) DVDs on a very nice 4K TV and the picture is really nice. But, you can't rent 4K DVD's, and paying $25+ each to own a handful of titles in 4K doesn't appeal to me. So, even though my set is capable of the highest resolution, my primary DVD player will remain BluRay for the foreseeable future.
- BluRay is a DVD "format" that came out about ten years ago. It's competition at the beginning was HD DVD and both were capable of outputting a picture quality at 1080 resolution to match the TV's at the time. BluRay endured and HD DVD died off simply because BluRay can store more data on a single disc.
- Exactly what you have to do (if anything) to switch inputs on your TV when you want to watch a DVD (or go back to satellite) is partly dependent on what the TV is capable of, partly what the DVD player is capable of, and partly dependent on how you have everything configured.
- If you satellite system is DirecTV, and you have the remote programmed to operate the TV, it should be able to switch the inputs for you without you needing to pick up your TV remote. Depending on the actual DirecTV remote, you would either use the dedicated Input button or hold the bottom right key on the number pad for about three seconds and then press once per input to switch through them.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I just recently had to re-educate myself on this stuff and picked up a bluray/ dvd / cd combo player along with a sound bar. This combo replaced the receiver, dvd, cd and speakers I had been using. The tv switches automatically to and from the dvd input when it is turned on or off.

I got rid of the spaghetti nest of RCA cables and speaker wires and am down to two HDMI cables (one for the satellite box, one for the dvd) and one fiber cable from the TV to the sound bar. I was pleasantly surprised I got away for less than $200 for everything.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maddog:

- If your TV supports multiple HDMI connections and you are currently only using one, you can add up to two more devices directly to the TV via HDMI connection. Plug a new DVD player into HDMI2 or HDMI3 (totally your choice).
- If your TV is NOT capable of 4K resolution (I didn't see where you mentioned it), then a BluRay DVD player is perfectly sufficient (and may be anyhow, even if you DO have a TV that supports 4K). These are quite a bit easier to get your hands on and are MUCH less expensive than 4K/UHD capable DVD players. Personally, I've watched a couple of UHD (4K) DVDs on a very nice 4K TV and the picture is really nice. But, you can't rent 4K DVD's, and paying $25+ each to own a handful of titles in 4K doesn't appeal to me. So, even though my set is capable of the highest resolution, my primary DVD player will remain BluRay for the foreseeable future.
- BluRay is a DVD "format" that came out about ten years ago. It's competition at the beginning was HD DVD and both were capable of outputting a picture quality at 1080 resolution to match the TV's at the time. BluRay endured and HD DVD died off simply because BluRay can store more data on a single disc.
- Exactly what you have to do (if anything) to switch inputs on your TV when you want to watch a DVD (or go back to satellite) is partly dependent on what the TV is capable of, partly what the DVD player is capable of, and partly dependent on how you have everything configured.
- If you satellite system is DirecTV, and you have the remote programmed to operate the TV, it should be able to switch the inputs for you without you needing to pick up your TV remote. Depending on the actual DirecTV remote, you would either use the dedicated Input button or hold the bottom right key on the number pad for about three seconds and then press once per input to switch through them.
Good advice you gave. My TV is brand new & is a 4k UHD. I have 3 HDMI ports. MY DVD player is the old RCA cable (3 lines) style which I can still plug into the new TV. But the DVD player is giving me problems. The tray at times will open & close on its own. It plays fine except it might take several tries for the tray to stay open so you can drop a Cd into it. So I will be getting a new DVD player. I'm looking at the Samsung which advertises on the box that it is designed for 4k UHD TV's & works with BlueRay & standard DVD. I might as well just upgrade & be done with it even if I don't use all the functions, they will be there if I grow into it. The players don't cost all that much. The Samsung you can get for about $100 if you check Walmart & other discounters.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is not always a good thing. If you are watching something on satellite & accidentally push a button on the DVD remote, the TV will switch to the DVD player. I have a Amazon Fire TV box. All I have to do is move the Fire TV remote & the TV will switch to it. I have the remotes laying on an end table. I was always bumping the Fire TV remote when laying papers & magazines on the table. I ended up turning the feature off in the TV settings.
I understand what your saying. I have a reclining sofa. it has two reclining sections. Between the sections it has a nice padded flip top storage box. Sometime I lay the remote down on top of the storage box lid. I have a cat who likes to lay down on that lid & go to sleep when my wife & I are on the recliner. Can't tell you how many times the TV would suddenly change stations or turn off all on it's own. Would drive me nuts thinking there was something wrong with it till I finally realized that my cat, was walking on the remote or laying on it changing the settings. Sounds funny now, but wasn't until I figured it out.:yahoo:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Good advice you gave. My TV is brand new & is a 4k UHD. I have 3 HDMI ports. MY DVD player is the old RCA cable (3 lines) style which I can still plug into the new TV. But the DVD player is giving me problems. The tray at times will open & close on its own. It plays fine except it might take several tries for the tray to stay open so you can drop a Cd into it. So I will be getting a new DVD player. I'm looking at the Samsung which advertises on the box that it is designed for 4k UHD TV's & works with BlueRay & standard DVD. I might as well just upgrade & be done with it even if I don't use all the functions, they will be there if I grow into it. The players don't cost all that much. The Samsung you can get for about $100 if you check Walmart & other discounters.
A) Be sure you are tracking the difference between a 4K DVD player and a BluRay DVD player with 4K upscaling built in - the cheapest Samsung 4K player that I am aware of is about $300. It was on sale around Christmas for $200 at Best Buy (and other retailers?) but is back to regular price now.

B) Be sure that you buy the best player FOR YOU. I'm not moving to replace any content in my library that is already BluRay with 4K / UHD. Until 4K becomes the norm, and I can rent Redbox 4K discs, I don't have much need for a 4K player. A quality BluRay player is all that's needed by me since my TV (and yours) will handle the upscaling for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts