Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to this forum and will be new to a (2014) D130 in about 2 weeks. (it's on order) http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/1/yahoo.gif The spec. sheet say's the gas tank holds 2.4 gallons. but the Canada/Mexico version holds 4 + gallons, how can I get one of these tanks? The tractor has a B & S 22 hp. twin with a Hydro. trans. About how long will it mow on less than 2 1/2 gal.? Is it worth trying to get the larger tank? If I put a new fuel tank in it, would JD void my warranty? (bought from a JD dealership)

grasscutter :greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Welcome to GTT Grasscutter.

When I had my L130 (previous generation) I'd get about 1 gallon/hour in the fuel economy department.

As for the larger tank; that's news to me. I suggest you create a free account at www.jdparts.com The parts website is the same one your dealer uses, has plenty of diagrams, and you'll get parts' cost after adding to your cart. I and many others on this forum use it extensively.

I found this part number for USA tanks GY21227; but capacity isn't listed. There is another tank; but it's for early production runs, so I didn't list it. I assume they are the 2.1 gallon tanks.

As for voiding your warranty; I have no idea if it will or not if can get a bigger tank. I don't see why it would; but what do I know.

·
Super Moderator
4,906 Posts
Can you link to one of these spec sheets? Everything I can find shows the U.S. and Canadian models both using the exact same gas tank - JD Part # GY21227

·
Super Moderator
4,906 Posts
About how long will it mow on less than 2 1/2 gal.?
I have the same 2.4 gal tank on my D160 (all of the D1xx units have the same tank) and I mow 2 acres every week with gas left over in the tank. (Usually about 1/4 tank) I've only ever run out of gas once and that was when I was using the bagger to suck up leaves and mow at the same time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh yea!

Imperial gallons? Imperial gallons are less than a US gallon, but not 1/2 as much.
That must be it! I saw it on the back of the D100 series pamphlet that the salesman gave me. A new question: the D130 has the same little plastic oil drain cap as the other 100's , Are they ok, or do they loosen or leak in time? Thanks

·
Registered
709 Posts
BTW
:wgtt:

·
Super Moderator
4,906 Posts
Imperial gallons? Imperial gallons are less than a US gallon, but not 1/2 as much.
Hmmm... I think you have that backwards.

1 U.S. Gallon = 3.785 litres = 8.34 lbs.
1 Imperial gallon = 4.54609 litres = 10 lbs

2.4 U.S. gal = 1.9984 Imp. Gal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fuel tank capacity

The specs. read in the JD 100 series brochure, on the back page, in the column for the D130, in the specs., US/CAL 2.4 GAL. (9.08L), the next line on the page says, Canada/Mexico 4 gal. (15.1L) .

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
A new question: the D130 has the same little plastic oil drain cap as the other 100's , Are they ok, or do they loosen or leak in time? Thanks
My L130 was a pain in the butt; but the plastic oil drain cap on the Kohler engine didn't cause any trouble for me.

The specs. read in the JD 100 series brochure, on the back page, in the column for the D130, in the specs., US/CAL 2.4 GAL. (9.08L), the next line on the page says, Canada/Mexico 4 gal. (15.1L) .
A typo on Mama Deere's part?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
My L130 was a pain in the butt; but the plastic oil drain cap on the Kohler engine didn't cause any trouble for me.

A typo on Mama Deere's part?
Yeah the Kohler in my L130 works well, the plastic cap is fine. Just wish the drain tube from the engine was a bit longer, I get oil everywhere when draining it...frame etc...

My L130 has 67X hours on it now and after a deck rebuild (new belts, spindles, blades and a couple idler pullys) 2 years ago along with a trans/hydro clean, flush and fill all is going well-running strong and cutting well every week from May to October.

My FIL has an Deere dealer garden tractor (GT235) that's about the same age, and honestly it's a lot smoother, refined, overall just a nicer machine, but that's the difference in the consumer/lawn mower lines branded by Deere (D, L, LT, etc) and the garden tractor lines made by Deere (1-4XX, GT, X series etc) and it shows in the prices.

·
Super Moderator
4,906 Posts
Yeah the Kohler in my L130 works well, the plastic cap is fine. Just wish the drain tube from the engine was a bit longer, I get oil everywhere when draining it...frame etc...
Agreed 100%. I haven't had any issues with the plastic cap either but why, why, WHY is the stupid drain tube so short? ARRGH! I'm planning on coming up with a mod for mine this spring when I change the oil. I'll just extend that puppy out 2-3" and put an elbow on it so I don't end up with oil everywhere when I drain it.

·
Premium Member
11,045 Posts
Agreed 100%. I haven't had any issues with the plastic cap either but why, why, WHY is the stupid drain tube so short? ARRGH! I'm planning on coming up with a mod for mine this spring when I change the oil. I'll just extend that puppy out 2-3" and put an elbow on it so I don't end up with oil everywhere when I drain it.
Just use an Oil Extractor and snake the tube down the dipstick hole. 100% mess free. I've been using this method on my X500 and I get more old oil out than I did when using the drain plug.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts

My L130 has 67X hours on it now and after a deck rebuild (new belts, spindles, blades and a couple idler pullys) 2 years ago along with a trans/hydro clean, flush and fill all is going well-running strong and cutting well every week from May to October.

My FIL has an Deere dealer garden tractor (GT235) that's about the same age, and honestly it's a lot smoother, refined, overall just a nicer machine, but that's the difference in the consumer/lawn mower lines branded by Deere (D, L, LT, etc) and the garden tractor lines made by Deere (1-4XX, GT, X series etc) and it shows in the prices.
I agree that the drain tube could be a bit longer.

That's amazing you've got close to 700-hours on your L-130. I bought mine new in 2005, and I got rid of it this year with just 100-hours on the clock. I didn't expect the quality of CUT or SCUT; but geez mine was a dud from the get go. I used mine to mow weeds and native grasses. The replacement was significantly more expensive; but is so much more pleasant to use.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I agree that the drain tube could be a bit longer.

That's amazing you've got close to 700-hours on your L-130. I bought mine new in 2005, and I got rid of it this year with just 100-hours on the clock. I didn't expect the quality of CUT or SCUT; but geez mine was a dud from the get go. I used mine to mow weeds and native grasses. The replacement was significantly more expensive; but is so much more pleasant to use.
The more amazing part is I got it used with a bit over 500 hours, did the deck and trans overhaul and have used it for 3 years.... Seems to be running and operating well. My belief is the previous owner never cleaned off the machine after using it so the deck and its parts suffered some as a result. The stupid sealed trans JD spec'ed from Tough Torque is servicable and parts are available. I have heard various horror stories about them failing prematurely. Mine wasn't terrible inside, so a simple flush and fill and some new internal filters and a good external cleaning was all it needed to run what I believe is fairly normally. I want another 3 years (15 total) from it, but who knows... I'd like to think I would upgrade to an X3 or whatever series JD has at that point in the GT series.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Now that's even more amazing that you got it with 500-hours on the clock! The assembly line people must have been sober and in a good mood when yours came off the line.

I did regularly scheduled maintenance when called for; I washed it after every use, and yet my L(emon)-130 was a dud.

In no particular order, mine did the following in the 100-hours of use I gave it.

1. PTO clutch and switch fried themselves at 56-hours.

2. Deck idler pulley bracket failed the first season (approximately 2 - 3 mowings).

3. Ate deck belts like candy the first season, which was related to item 2.

4. The final straw was when the damn thing wouldn't start after I did the 100-hour service (plugs, filters, oil change, grease). It acted fuel starved, so on went a new fuel pump, no improvement; pulled the carb to make sure it was clean, inside clean as new; made sure the fuel lines were clear by blowing air through them, clear as I had a gas geyser at the tank; fuel cap vent hole was clear too. I sold it to a gearhead neighbor and he found the tank to filter line plugged; apparently inside the rubber line was like a check valve that freely allowed gas, air, etc back to the tank; but not from the tank to the filter. DAMN ETHANOL GAS!

Then there were the design and operating aspects of the machine; again in no particular order.

1. Lousy fuel economy and small tank.

2. Uncomfortable.

3. Hard to steer even with the tires at max Deere inflation specs and 84-pounds of Deere's finest suitcase weights out back.

4. Hard to start, even on normal days...DAMN CARBURETORS.

5. Mediocre maneuverability.

6. Spring loaded deck lift required two hands to operate when the deck was loaded with Claycrete.

7. An abjectly miserable experience to remove and install the deck.

8. The same miserable experience to adjust the deck.

9. God-awful reverse pedal.

I'm glad mine is gone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts