Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i found a jd dealer who will sell me a gator in Ohio $1,500 cheaper than my dealer will-well in fact $2,000 less.

the owner of my dealership will only budge $500--is it worth the savings of the $1,500 to buy or not.

why am i asking this-well...........because of if i need any warranty work done?

owner told me maybe little things he could get covered..........if bought there. i know this has been discussed on here before-but i need to hear it from u fellas. my head is about tto explode of which way to go here.

i found a left over 2017 825I in WVA for a good price of $14,500-add my doors,heater, and some goodies to it-cause of the cheap interest of.09% thru JD-and i'm at $21,500---so for $3,000 more i can get my Cadillac(835R) in Ohio---or buy here at home at $26,000 WHICH MY DEALER DROPPED DOWN $500

so fellas tell me if i should buy out of state and out of dealership or pay the extra $1,500 here? thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Big Jim,

I would buy that gator!

Your local dealer should have no issues servicing your new gator. However if they do, you may just have to go somewhere else.

A friend of mine bought one in Illinois, and had Browns do warranty / recall work on it. They did a good job on an axle repair/ recall for him.

R. Brown Supply Co. Inc.: Sales

They shouldn’t be too far from you.

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
In theory, any Deere dealer should be able to perform warranty work. Personally, I always try to buy from the dealer I expect to service the item. To me, its a matter of basic business fairness. I always try to treat others as I would want them to treat me. I want the dealer to be there for me when I need them and since I rewarded the dealer with my business, I expect them to work with me.

From Big Jim's Original Post
i found a left over 2017 825I in WVA for a good price of $14,500-add my doors,heater, and some goodies to it-cause of the cheap interest of.09% thru JD-and i'm at $21,500---so for $3,000 more i can get my Cadillac(835R) in Ohio---or buy here at home at $26,000 WHICH MY DEALER DROPPED DOWN $500

so fellas tell me if i should buy out of state and out of dealership or pay the extra $1,500 here? thanks

I read this 5 times, let me see if I have got this......

A 2017 gas powered unit in WVA is $14,500 and you are adding $7,000 in "goodies" to get it to $21,500 (that's a lot of goodies
)

or

A "Cadillac" 835R in Ohio for $24,500

or

$26,000 at home which the dealer dropped $500 (so is it $26,000 after the $500 drop or is it $25,500 after the drop)

One's Gas, the others are Diesel

One has your doors and other goodies added on, the other two sound like they have the Factory cab and heat and air on the loaded ones,.

You are going to drive yourself NUTS over this.......

If you can get the same Deere financing on all units, then the diesel with the factory cab units are by far the better deal in my opinion. Local or out of state comes down to which unit you like and any costs to get it home, etc.

$1,500 spread into payments is likely a difference on the monthly payments of $25 or less in difference between the two. $2,000 difference would be approximately $38 per month diff in payments.

All I do know, Big Jim is that the amount of time you have spent looking and shopping and searching, if you were paid $1 per hour for all the time you put into your Gator purchase, the time would likely cover the cost to purchase it.....:laugh::lol::thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
477 Posts
BigJimness -

My only experience with a JD dealer in Ohio was for my used 4720. They would not budge much on the price, did not fully check/fill all fluids as promised, and never provided the service history, also as promised

Caveat Emptor,

Brian

i found a jd dealer who will sell me a gator in Ohio $1,500 cheaper than my dealer will-well in fact $2,000 less.

the owner of my dealership will only budge $1,500--is it worth the savings of the $1,500 to buy or not.

why am i asking this-well...........because of if i need any warranty work done?

owner told me maybe little things he could get covered..........if bought there. i know this has been discussed on here before-but i need to hear it from u fellas. my head is about tto explode of which way to go here.

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big Jim,

I would buy that gator!

Your local dealer should have no issues servicing your new gator. However if they do, you may just have to go somewhere else.

A friend of mine bought one in Illinois, and had Browns do warranty / recall work on it. They did a good job on an axle repair/ recall for him.

R. Brown Supply Co. Inc.: Sales

They shouldn’t be too far from you.
:bigthumb: thanks a lot for the info. my only problem i'm having is.....if say a part is iffie on a warranty item. but jeepers to save another $1,500 is a lot. now i would have my gas for both ways( roughly $140 out and back) that is my only hold back for me.
and yes the owner of west central who i have talked with many times over the yrs., already told me he would service it. but it would be last in line-i said fine with me as long as ur fair about being last in line. twice now over the yrs i have sat last in line for 90 days or so. all while the fellas who was buying new equipment was placed ahead of me. i had no problems about that.

heck several yrs ago i got kicked off the service list because of curtis couldn't deliver their cabs on time that fall. the owner sent me a check for a $100, after our little chat in his office.

now he claimed he was only making a 8% profit on these machines to begin with-i said just spilt that difference with me-he only gave in to $500 for me. i will have to think about this some. thanks a lot. p.s. browns is only a little over an hr away from me-no farther than my dealer is.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
It will be a brand new machine with warranty. Any legitimate Deere dealer should be required to provide warranty repairs.
I would purchase the Ohio machine and do some checking around your local Deere dealers to try and determine which has the most competent repair facility and use them if needed.
I actually saved about the same dollars buying my little tractor from a neighboring state as my local dealers would not negotiate.

Where ya been big guy, we have missed you lately!

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In theory, any Deere dealer should be able to perform warranty work. Personally, I always try to buy from the dealer I expect to service the item. To me, its a matter of basic business fairness. I always try to treat others as I would want them to treat me. I want the dealer to be there for me when I need them and since I rewarded the dealer with my business, I expect them to work with me.

From Big Jim's Original Post

I read this 5 times, let me see if I have got this......

A 2017 gas powered unit in WVA is $14,500 and you are adding $7,000 in "goodies" to get it to $21,500 (that's a lot of goodies
)

or

A "Cadillac" 835R in Ohio for $24,500

or

$26,000 at home which the dealer dropped $500 (so is it $26,000 after the $500 drop or is it $25,500 after the drop)

One's Gas, the others are Diesel

One has your doors and other goodies added on, the other two sound like they have the Factory cab and heat and air on the loaded ones,.

You are going to drive yourself NUTS over this.......

If you can get the same Deere financing on all units, then the diesel with the factory cab units are by far the better deal in my opinion. Local or out of state comes down to which unit you like and any costs to get it home, etc.

$1,500 spread into payments is likely a difference on the monthly payments of $25 or less in difference between the two. $2,000 difference would be approximately $38 per month diff in payments.

All I do know, Big Jim is that the amount of time you have spent looking and shopping and searching, if you were paid $1 per hour for all the time you put into your Gator purchase, the time would likely cover the cost to purchase it.....:laugh::lol::thumbup1gif:
sulley bear:laugh::laugh::banghead: my wife is about crazy with my changing my mind over this. way worse than 30 some yrs ago-picking the shingles for on our roof back then. we ended up back at the first place we stopped at:dunno::dunno:

all gators are gas machines--the one in WVA includes the sales tax with that price-but yes i added some goodies due to the cheaper interest rate.

the 2 835R's is one in ohio for $24,500-no tax yet on that price

my dealer wants $26,000 no tax yet?? i agree on helping my local dealer-ok. but why can that same gator be sold for $1,500 cheaper. :dunno::dunno: thanks for responding -oh. wife says i have till next friday to make my mind up fully:bash::bash:

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It will be a brand new machine with warranty. Any legitimate Deere dealer should be required to provide warranty repairs.
I would purchase the Ohio machine and do some checking around your local Deere dealers to try and determine which has the most competent repair facility and use them if needed.
I actually saved about the same dollars buying my little tractor from a neighboring state as my local dealers would not negotiate.

Where ya been big guy, we have missed you lately![/QU-been sick some due to my darn blood sugars being up to 500 and tad bit higher. got them back down to under 300 last night again. darn sugar pills they gave me this spring-gave me the back yard trots every day-every day--unless i took my pain meds due to all the rain we have had lately. and going back and forth between a used machine or new. i was always taught a new broom sweeps the floor cleaner than an old broom. so a new machine will put me 10 grand deeper in the whole-but i have never really had good luck buying used-bring it home and spend a good bit to make it good then. i guess i'm leaning towards the new one-just which darn one.:banghead:

i actually called another dealership in their network to see if he would give me a better price today. and they turned around and called the place i always deal with:nunu:and then they called me at home and said my salesman would be back at work next week-so then when i called them back to talk to that salesman-he put on to the owner so we could talk. i wanted them to split the $2,000--and i said i will buy urs here-in my back door--took over 30 minutes to even get him down #500 bucks.

now i could of had the one where i took Charley Boys pic in -back in early spring-but it's got over 100 hrs on it now-just going to the fairs and stuff. no way i want one like-maybe 10 or so-but not 100-- not for the amount of money i'm spending.

·
Premium Member
13,933 Posts
Big Jim , Have you tried Manor Home Center in Oakland, Md..:dunno::dunno:

Talk to Kristie tell her what you want and where the machine sets. Dealers trade machines all the time.

301-334-2109

·
Corndog Hater
11,102 Posts
I read your first post several times Jim. At first I thought the Ohio one was $2,000 cheaper, but then your nearby dealer came down $1,500. In my math that’s only $500 difference. But upon further reading I think that I’m mistaken, because a $500 difference would be a no brainer. I am thinking now you have a $1,500 difference, period.

So, first I would see if your dealer can budge another $750, split the difference and meet you in the middle. On a machine of that price, it doesn’t seem unreasonable. If they can’t do that, then I would buy the one in Ohio. Oh and either way, I would make sure you buy your Cadillac, forget a different model with all the add ons. Even though we’ve never met, I feel I know you and I don’t think you’ll be happy with anything but your 835R.

·
Registered
913 Posts
OK, let me try to understand this.

You can save $1,500 if you buy from an out-of-state dealer.

Or, you can pay your local dealer an extra $1,500 of your money for the same Gator.

And, this local dealer has already tried intimidation and threatened you with delay of warranty service if you do not give him $1,500.

I don't understand why you aren't already driving the out-of-state purchased Gator. And, spending the $1,500 that would otherwise be in the local dealer's pocket on yourself.

:dunno:

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I'd be done with the dealer that's $1500 over. If you buy it somewhere else and they will put your warranty work at the end of the line. They are telling you they don't want your business. I'd call them and tell them that you came to that conclusion. I wouldn't be afraid to tell them you talked about it with people on a JD forum either.

I would have left them long ago. There are other dealers in your area. I'd go anywhere else. I have a dealer like that about 15 miles from me. I drive passed there store to go 5 more miles where they know my name and have always treated me well. I haven't always gotten the best deal, but they are way worth the extra drive.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Jim,
I basically had the same situation as you, only mine was with my 1025R instead of a Gator. Priced new tractors from two local dealers. I was about to pull the trigger with one of the locals and happened to find a used one with 20 hours in southern Indiana, 160 miles from me. Found it through Tractorhouse. Called and inquired. The salesman answered all my questions which made me feel like he was a good salesman. I drove there the next day with my truck and trailer. When I arrived, he was waiting on me. We talked and again he answered more questions and gave me complete demonstrations, and then I did them, too. He was very patient and a young man, but knew what he was talking about. I bought the tractor and brought it home. and I felt that if I had a warranty issue, I had a couple choices here locally. Fortunately, I had zero warranty issues and only minor repairs I have done on my own. I have called the service dept. of one local dealer for advice on a couple issues and they were very helpful. I do buy all of my supplies from them for the tractor and I would have bought a new tractor from them had I not found the used one. I ended up saving $3000 by driving 320 miles round trip to pick up used tractor with 20 hours on it. Of course, the trip cost me about $70 in gas money. It all worked out for me.

Another thing happened with a vehicle my wife wanted in 2015. Found it in St. Louis, a couple hours away. Went to our local dealer here and tried to make the deal with them and have it brought to their dealership since we liked their service dept. But, they wouldn't meet the price the St. Louis dealer gave me which was $1500 lower. I wanted them to split the difference and they told me they would not make anything on the deal since the St. Louis dealer would keep all of the "dealer hold-back". So, we drove to St. Louis and bought the vehicle. But the local dealer has done some warranty work on it and in a timely manner. Not pushed to the back of the line.
Just to add, I bought my 2017 truck from the same local dealer. They found the truck with the options I wanted in St. Louis, and we agreed this time on the price they wanted and what I was willing to pay. They sent a driver over to bring the truck back and we made the deal.

So, I guess what I am saying is if you feel comfortable making the deal in another state, I would say go for it. I have done it twice. No regrets.

And also, buy the machine you have always wanted. You will most likely not be happy with anything less. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Big Jim , Have you tried Manor Home Center in Oakland, Md..:dunno::dunno:

Talk to Kristie tell her what you want and where the machine sets. Dealers trade machines all the time.

301-334-2109
i will call her tomorrow and see what she has to say-ok. thanks!

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I read your first post several times Jim. At first I thought the Ohio one was $2,000 cheaper, but then your nearby dealer came down $1,500. In my math that’s only $5 I00 difference. But upon further reading I think that I’m mistaken, because a $500 difference would be a no brainer. I am thinking now you $1,500 difference, period. yes-that is true

So, first I would see if your dealer can budge another $750, split the difference and meet you in the middle. On a machine of that price, it doesn’t seem unreasonable. If they can’t do that, then I would buy the one in Ohio. Oh and either way, I would make sure you buy your Cadillac, forget a different model with all the add ons. Even though we’ve never met, I feel I know you and I don’t think you’ll be happy with anything but your 835R.
my dealer will not budge below the 500 bucks that he did. his price-was 26,500-now 26,000 plus sales tax of 6%-ok-the one in Ohio is 24,500 plus i pay pa's sales tax of 6% instead of the 7% -jd financial told me that is no problem with the title being done in pa. even though, buying it in ohio.

yes-i think of that in the back of my mind-that i could of had the cadillac for just a small amount more
:banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd be done with the dealer that's $1500 over. If you buy it somewhere else and they will put your warranty work at the end of the line. They are telling you they don't want your business. I'd call them and tell them that you came to that conclusion. I wouldn't be afraid to tell them you talked about it with people on a JD forum either.

I would have left them long ago. There are other dealers in your area. I'd go anywhere else. I have a dealer like that about 15 miles from me. I drive passed there store to go 5 more miles where they know my name and have always treated me well. I haven't always gotten the best deal, but they are way worth the extra drive.
bad problem for me is i would have to go to Maryland, to get away from thi set of jd dealers network they have near me. 6 i think in it now. did u see what the dealer did to me today-i called them to see what kind of price they could give me-and they turned around and called my dealer-then that dealer (my own-that i've dealt with for several yrs now) called the house-i called em back and then was told to talk to the owner. he claimed he only made a 8% profit on the machine:dunno::dunno:i think i figured it out to 2,600 bucks ---so i asked him how in the world 221 miles away could that network or just that one dealer sell theirs for 24,500 plus sales tax-still comes to $2,000 difference before he knocked the 500 bucks off. he told i should run out tomorrow and buy it:lol::lol: i said do u think their selling gators somehow:mocking::mocking: i knew then i had him kinda mad-as his voice really got different.

as far as telling them about a jd forum--this place knows that i'm on GTT ALL THE TIME-AS I TOLD THEM SEVERAL YRS AGO-WHEN I REPLACED MY FRONT AXLE PARTS AND THE 3PT ARMS ON MY 2520-yelp-they know where i spend a lot of my time at.:lol::munch:

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jim,
I basically had the same situation as you, only mine was with my 1025R instead of a Gator. Priced new tractors from two local dealers. I was about to pull the trigger with one of the locals and happened to find a used one with 20 hours in southern Indiana, 160 miles from me. Found it through Tractorhouse. Called and inquired. The salesman answered all my questions which made me feel like he was a good salesman. I drove there the next day with my truck and trailer. When I arrived, he was waiting on me. We talked and again he answered more questions and gave me complete demonstrations, and then I did them, too. He was very patient and a young man, but knew what he was talking about. I bought the tractor and brought it home. and I felt that if I had a warranty issue, I had a couple choices here locally. Fortunately, I had zero warranty issues and only minor repairs I have done on my own. I have called the service dept. of one local dealer for advice on a couple issues and they were very helpful. I do buy all of my supplies from them for the tractor and I would have bought a new tractor from them had I not found the used one. I ended up saving $3000 by driving 320 miles round trip to pick up used tractor with 20 hours on it. Of course, the trip cost me about $70 in gas money. It all worked out for me.

Another thing happened with a vehicle my wife wanted in 2015. Found it in St. Louis, a couple hours away. Went to our local dealer here and tried to make the deal with them and have it brought to their dealership since we liked their service dept. But, they wouldn't meet the price the St. Louis dealer gave me which was $1500 lower. I wanted them to split the difference and they told me they would not make anything on the deal since the St. Louis dealer would keep all of the "dealer hold-back". So, we drove to St. Louis and bought the vehicle. But the local dealer has done some warranty work on it and in a timely manner. Not pushed to the back of the line.
Just to add, I bought my 2017 truck from the same local dealer. They found the truck with the options I wanted in St. Louis, and we agreed this time on the price they wanted and what I was willing to pay. They sent a driver over to bring the truck back and we made the deal.

So, I guess what I am saying is if you feel comfortable making the deal in another state, I would say go for it. I have done it twice. No regrets.

And also, buy the machine you have always wanted. You will most likely not be happy with anything less. :thumbup1gif:
thanks Ilmo-i have sat in quite a lot of machines now since January since i first sat in a 835R. it just fit me like a glove for my size of a person. all the others i would have to cut the pipe off beside the seat.
now Wednesday while at the drs i stopped at a Polaris dealer--the 1000 ranger was a close fit---i had a jd hat on-front bumper had a jd sign on it:laugh: the salesman was indeed a young fella who spent around a hr with me--asked what all i wanted or needed on it to make me happy--so he took that sheet to another fella who worked up the price-came in $2,000 higher than the WVA did-i showed him my quote-he dropped that much right away--then i asked about their interest rate--could of fell off the chair--2.99%for so long--not as long jd's --next up was 4.99% for only 60 months-which jd is .09% for that.

he then said will u buy it-if i stretch the length of the warranty to 4 yrs for the cost of the interest being higher than what jd is offering. ahh-i said i would have to think about some-but i feel the jd one is a better deal for me--it was nice-but just not what i want. it was a pretty red one -oh.

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jim - is that Gator going to be for "ag use"? If it is, in Ohio it will be exempt from sales tax. That could save you an additional 7%. I don't know what the rules are in PA. It might be worth looking into.
no farm here--only got 5 acres. lots of farms around me-but i highly doubt my neighbors will let me title in their name--of course i shouldn't say that-if i'm doing the paying part.

jd will title in pa. for me-so i only have to pay 6% sales tax. i had no idea OHIO'S sales tax was that high out there. the farther north i went above Columbus, it went up--it was 7.25% in Marion,, Ohio---way to high for me. that dealer even wasn't that excited to talk with me that morning-if i would known that the day before i would drove back down south to where i'm talking to now. that man stayed past his quitting time to talk and answer questions for me-very nice there-IMO

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Jim,
Just make sure the 2 835r’s are in fact set up the same. There could be a $1000 option hiding in the more expensive one, like power dump, alloy wheels, etc.
There is no comparison in the factory cab vs the 825 with an add on.

I agree 100%with Sullbear on his business ethics. If your local dealer isn’t good enough to sell you a machine, then he is not good enough to service it either. I would give the local guy somewhat of a home field advantage, because I look at future service convenience as part of the total cost of ownership. However, I always maintain that there is no reason that the local guy can’t be the lowest price.

ONE THING THAT HAS ALMOST BIT ME WHILE SHOPPING DEERE:

Low interest financing generally costs the dealer 2%. Some dealers build that in, some don’t, and hit you with it at the end.
Make sure both dealers have that covered.

The most important thing to me is:

I only do business with people I like...no exceptions. Sometimes that means not the lowest bidder.

I’m rambling now...but glad you are close!

1 - 20 of 146 Posts