Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first tractor (2520) and I am very happy with it. After haunting this forum for the last couple of weeks I went out and bought a JD QH to use with my BB and wood chipper. I installed the QH today and was surprised to find that the BB is quite a bit narrower than the QH. To the point that the pins cannot be installed as they are in direct line with the QH arms. Am I missing something here? I checked the chipper (Wallenstein) and it is not going to be an issue as the pin spacing is wide enough that the QH hooks will fit up on them without interfering with the pins. Ironically, there is a sticker on the QH advising against using attachments without the lug pins.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
I assume you bought a iMatch Ron? What brand BB did you buy?

Unfortunately, many small manufactures of implements refuse to follow the ASAE Standard so their stuff will fit QH's. There are a few threads about this if you search the term "imatch".

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Welcome to DT and the 2520 club Ron.

Some implement manufucturers have adjustment and some don't as Ken stated. Now you get a chance to do a modification to your BB. Once you get that done you are on easy street. Everyone with a QH has had to modify something to fit, unless you stay with one manufacturer. You will now take note of the equipment that lists if it is QH compatible.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both the BB and the QH are John Deere products from a John Deere dealer. This is what I find surprising. I looked (and measured) again last night and it appears that without the pins in place it is possible that the BB could shift one way enough to slip out of a hook. Granted, the BB is filled with portland cement so one would not expect it to move much but if it did .... well that wouldn't be pretty. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Do you have the bushings on the BB or are you just putting this stuff in the imatch with the standard cat 1 pins?

The bushing kit that is needed looks like this:
Brass Auto part Metal Copper Ammunition

On the tractor it would look like this:
Product Green Machine Vehicle Agricultural machinery

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brian,

The iMatch came with a couple of bushings but they did not look like the ones in your post. Mine are anodized, but that is where the similarity ends. They are all one size (similar in diameter to the thickest part of the ones in your picture), slide over the existing pin and cover from the side of the iMatch over to the hole in the existing pin. They did not come with set screws or holes drilled to use the set screws.

I appreciate all of the feedback and help.

Reactions: cser05

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Ron,
Those work also and are much cheaper than the set I posted. I use the type you are talking about on things I store outside as I can remove them so they don't rust up. If you feel your BB would slip off, the type of bushings I posted will take care of your issue.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brian, I assume those bushings are available from JD? Are there other sources? HF perhaps?

..Ron

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I know the JD dealer has them. IIRC they are close to 60 bucks. There is a place you can get them aftermarket, but I cannot remember where. Someone else might jump in and know. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Ron, I got adapter bushings at TSC. You might want to post where you are, it could help with these "Where do I get this thing" questions.

What's pictured here is what I have on most stuff. My MX6 rotary cutters has the type that Brian posted. The size of the lynch pin is important. Get one too big and it will rotate around and might block the bushing making connecting up to the iMatch difficult. As you can see, the smaller pin here stays out of the way but does the job.

There is a small inner bushing and then the larger/longer one goes over it. The lynch pin holds in it. This should be a less than $10 solution.

Pete

Attachments

Reactions: Poppi

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
Brian,

The iMatch came with a couple of bushings but they did not look like the ones in your post. Mine are anodized, but that is where the similarity ends. They are all one size (similar in diameter to the thickest part of the ones in your picture), slide over the existing pin and cover from the side of the iMatch over to the hole in the existing pin. They did not come with set screws or holes drilled to use the set screws.

I appreciate all of the feedback and help.
Your dealer is ripping you off. You are supposed to get a set of the nice ones.

Read this: http://salesmanual.deere.com/sales/...ctor_hookup/i-match_quick-hitch_lx_mx5-6.html

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Folks,

I really appreciate all of the feedback. The solution appears to be that I have to find some bushings that will effectively extend the pins on my iMatch making the unit's pins an inch longer for all intents and purposes. That should be doable but I am still at a loss to understand why a John Deere implement will not fit on a John Deere Quick Hitch. Did the rest of you have the same problem with your JD ballast box and JD quick hitch?

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Do you have the bushings on the BB or are you just putting this stuff in the imatch with the standard cat 1 pins?

The bushing kit that is needed looks like this:
View attachment 2600

On the tractor it would look like this:
View attachment 2601
A year or two ago I found this style of bushing at the local Ace hardware and co-op. They were $11 a pair, and I ended up buying 6-pairs. Also the holes fit CAT 1 pins without the need of an intermediary bushing like the JD ones do. I think the brand name was H-H or some such thing.

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
Folks,

I really appreciate all of the feedback. The solution appears to be that I have to find some bushings that will effectively extend the pins on my iMatch making the unit's pins an inch longer for all intents and purposes.
Yes, but I am trying to tell you that you should have got one set already. If you look in the JD link I posted it cleary shows them-and states that on set is included.

That should be doable but I am still at a loss to understand why a John Deere implement will not fit on a John Deere Quick Hitch.
It will...with the proper bushings.

Did the rest of you have the same problem with your JD ballast box and JD quick hitch?
No, since I have the bushings.

The same issue was discussed in this thread: http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...-Finally-arrived-today-!!!&highlight=bushings

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Folks,

I really appreciate all of the feedback. The solution appears to be that I have to find some bushings that will effectively extend the pins on my iMatch making the unit's pins an inch longer for all intents and purposes. That should be doable but I am still at a loss to understand why a John Deere implement will not fit on a John Deere Quick Hitch. Did the rest of you have the same problem with your JD ballast box and JD quick hitch?
Ron,

The reason that Deere designed the ballast box this way is to make it more universal. They designed it to fit a cat 0 hitch and by adding the busings you can make it fit the larger cat hitches. Also, it can fit your 3pt with out the bushings and QH. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again for all of the info. FWIW, my dealer tells me that is the bushing kit that now comes with the iMatch. And ..... wait for it ..... the kit I need is $79.95. Plus taxes. So,off to Agsupply I go.

I sure appreciate all the time spent here by a number of people to try and educate a Newbie.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I knew that deere kit was expensive. Last time I was at the dealer I asked about it and they had one for 35 bucks. I grabbed it up! But they are way over priced at 70 bucks.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Things are normally way higher in Canada compared to the U.S., but i can get the Speeco ones at Princessauto (akin to harborfreight) for $21.

Thanks again for all of the info. FWIW, my dealer tells me that is the bushing kit that now comes with the iMatch. And ..... wait for it ..... the kit I need is $79.95. Plus taxes. So,off to Agsupply I go.

I sure appreciate all the time spent here by a number of people to try and educate a Newbie.
I knew that deere kit was expensive. Last time I was at the dealer I asked about it and they had one for 35 bucks. I grabbed it up! But they are way over priced at 70 bucks.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts