Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does the tank return line on a 1025r see any pressure? I'm referring to the one that needs to be connected to the existing line with a T connecter. If I understand how the open system works, that line just returns excess fluid to an unpressurised reservoir tank. IF that is the case, then I am wondering if a simple barbed hose connector (edit: with a clamp) could be used between the valve and the add-in T fitting.

·
Super Moderator
6,012 Posts
If I understand how the open system works, that line just returns excess fluid to an unpressurised reservoir tank.
That is correct.

IF that is the case, then I am wondering if a simple barbed hose connector could be used between the valve and the add-in T fitting.
In theory you can use a plastic straw for a return. In practice,, even though the tank has no pressure, the hydraulic line itself offers some resistance to fluid flow. So the possibility is that there will be some unspecified pressure along a return line when fluid is flowing. The question is "How much pressure?" and whether or not the barbed fitting will hold.

Reactions: KeyboardJungle

·
Administrator
20,323 Posts
Try it and let us know 😁

Some mobile equipment is plumbed that way, but it's not the norm on tractors for whatever reason.

Curious why you're asking?

Reactions: MattL

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try it and let us know 😁

Some mobile equipment is plumbed that way, but it's not the norm on tractors for whatever reason.

Curious why you're asking?
I'm thinking about a hydraulic top link and trying to figure it all out. The valve and the cylinders seem to be the easy part. How to connect everything together is more difficult. I want to make sure that I understand everything before I start, especially if I have to cut into anything.

Reactions: Kennyd and MattL

·
Administrator
20,323 Posts
Isn't there a spare port on the side of the case to use as a return? Or is that on the 2-series?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Isn't there a spare port on the side of the case to use as a return? Or is that on the 2-series?
I don't think that there is one on the 1025r. I've read and reread all of the posts, and it looks like everybody uses a tee connector with compression fittings to tap into a line that's under the right rear fender, and then feed the excess oil from the valve into it.

Hopefully I'm looking at the right thing - is what you refer to as a case a sheet metal reservoir?

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Administrator
20,323 Posts
This is probably what I'm remembering:

Reactions: KeyboardJungle

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just added a return to tank line on my 1025r couple weeks ago, there is a post in here by
Raylagrange (I think that was the name).
He has pics and part numbers explaining how to do it. My local hydraulic shop had the stuff in stock, didn’t have to cut any lines.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think that you are referring to the post by @Ray_PA .

you would have two lines from the valve to the tractor: one line from the valve to the P port and a second line from the valve to the R port. Excluding the work lines, do you have a third line to the tractor?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Norton274 - Thank you, thank you, thank you. I think that I finally understand what Ray was doing. I initially understood why, but thanks to your pics, I now understand how.

And @Ray_PA - thanks for your initial post with the PDF. I'm sure that it has helped many others besides Norton and me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts