Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got 2 trailers. One of them I use for my lawn care business. The other I use for my tractor.
I've been thinking of selling the landscaping trailer and using the equipment trailer for both purposes. The only issue is the ramps. My mowers will not drive on the heavy duty ramps. Too much of a gap between supports.
So what would be the preferred way to modify these ramps so I could drive my mowers on them?
20201120_151453.jpg
Or, would I be better off taking off the hd ramps and use something like this for my mowers?

Screenshot_20201120-152324_Chrome.jpg
Taking the hd ramps on and off wouldn't be an issue. It doesn't look to difficult and I don't haul my tractor very much.

·
Administrator
19,251 Posts
Are the cross-pieces just angle iron? I would add more to half the space between them, or add expanded metal over top.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. Just angle iron. I thought about expanded metal but its a lot easier to reach in the middle to slide the ramps. I was thinking of an additional piece or two that run long ways to add to the middle?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would leave the HD ramps on. Adding material to the middle (long ways) would work, as long as you can get a decent spot to weld to.

Reactions: Kbar

·
Registered
564 Posts
I would add light gauge angle to the centers.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I just bolted a piece of 5 quarter board to mine to be able to drive my tracked vehicle up.

Reactions: Kbar and Herminator

·
Registered
911 Posts
The wood would be lighter than the metal. Prob one treated 2x8 or 2x10 be all ya need. Cut couple shallow cuts in it for traction and bolt it on.

Reactions: Kbar and Herminator

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
I agree with just putting a board over them I would probably put a couple bolts through them that would catch on the top angle iron so they couldn‘t slide down if a wheel slips.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Are the add on ramps the same length? Or could they be made that way? You could add one spaced so you could get the landscaping machines on and off and leave the regular ones in place. That would be the way I would want to go.

Or you could lengthen a trifold ramp to be the same as the regular and just fill in the space. Lots of things could go up then like walk behind tillers and snow blowers.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Maybe get one of those $150 aluminum ramps from the farm store. Much easier to handle for frequent use.

Keep the heavy ones in the shed for the tractor.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Something like this

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
902 Posts
This.

My Deere Z945M front casters are offset from the rears. I used my car hauler Featherlite trailer when I picked up my new Ztrack several months ago, it was tricky maneuvering the Z to keep at least three wheels on the ramps. All landscape trailers look like the above.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This.

My Deere Z945M front casters are offset from the rears. I used my car hauler Featherlite trailer when I picked up my new Ztrack several months ago, it was tricky maneuvering the Z to keep at least three wheels on the ramps. All landscape trailers look like the above.
Yeah my landscape trailer has the same gate. My tires on my mowers are also offset but I don't believe it will be an issue on the hd ramps. Its kind of hard to tell in the pic, but they are a little over 16" wide.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Maybe get one of those $150 aluminum ramps from the farm store. Much easier to handle for frequent use.

Keep the heavy ones in the shed for the tractor.
I saw a hunter using those today for his ATV. Pretty nice, tri-fold aluminum and pretty close spacing on the cross bars. He folded them up and slid them under the middle of the ATV.

I was impressed with how well they worked.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I think I would just build a light duty ramp for your mowers but keep the H-D ramps.
JMO

Reactions: johncanfield
1 - 20 of 25 Posts