Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into getting a land plane for my gravel lot. I'm questioning myself now is it not the right fit simply because I don't have a lot of straight pull areas. I have a 250' x 20 driveway area, leading back to a squared off maybe 1/4 acre area for cars and parking. I question if the implement would work in a situation i'll be turning quite a bit more than just pulling straight on (such as a gravel drive). Would I be losing all the aggregate whilst maneuvering for the next "pass". Any thoughts on the matter? I'd hate to burn 1500-2000 $ on an idea that might not work the best. I do have a harrow for cleaning up the gravel once in a while. It seems to do a good job but it really brings up the fines more than i'd really like but it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Valid concern. I have a 400’ driveway with two different large parking areas at the one end. My 6’ land plane works great, when it comes to the parking areas it just takes some getting used to and learning how to plan out your passes.

sharp turns you don’t lose your box full but you “slide” the whole attachment and it just leaves thin spots.

For me, planning out my turn, doing the large center area first, working my way out, then finishing with a couple long passes down the drive and through the middle of the parking has worked best.

A final “cleanup” or spread out with a light drag might help in the parking areas. It’s on my list of things to make or look into.

·
Registered
JD 3032E, + loader, ripper, road scraper, forks, Woodmaxx, 10-wheel disc, 12" auger
69 Posts
I landplane the gravel road to my house, but my 'smoother' is a railroad tie on chains I can raise and lower with the 3pt. hitch lever. My home-made plane has a rear fence instead of a rear blade, and weighs about 600#s so it cuts well, and holds materiel for pothole filling. I try to cut really straight to keep the road crowned (landplanes have angled blades to move material uphill) and so I'm not up to snuff on the cornering ability, sorry.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a 1/4 mile gravel driveway, with a large parking and turn around area...I go up and down the drive and then alternate turns in the parking area and it smooths things out just fine noticed at this years Fair they had a small tractor with a land plane driving around in there to sooth things out..do was going around in circles and it came our really smooth. I dont think you'll have trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.