Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for your thoughts....

A buddy of mine bought a new, in the box Lincoln Ranger 225, 2 years ago.

It has never been out of the box.

And now he wants to convert it to cash for other uses.

Given the Kohler engine has been sitting un-used, un-turned etc for two years (in Houston, maybe 30 miles from the gulf)...I am wondering if there are some potential issues like corrosion, dried gaskets, and such?

What do you think? We haven't talked price...but I am a little gun-shy given how long it has been sitting in this humid climate.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I'd guarantee there are many welders such as this still in warehouses that have been unsold for 2+ years. As you have said its still unboxed, I wouldnt think twice of taking it out, setting it up and just letting it do its thing.

Yet, if you really are concerned due to it might have been in an overly moist area, then the most I would do would be to take out the spark plugs (I believe thats a 2 cylinder engine in there) and drop a teaspoon of transmission fluid/marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and turn it over manually a few times.

I've had engines sitting for 3+ years and never needed more than a jumpstart and off they went.

Had this been running when it was stored then you would be dealing with stale gas and a gummed up fuel system which would need a little attention but......straight out of the box should be good to go.

PS....make sure you check the engine oil as they dont always come filled. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I’d tend to agree with Toughsox here-assembly lube and test running should offer some protection from the elements in a new in box motor. Definitely better than sitting after use in storage

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I am with the others that sitting for 2 years isn't a problem. However as you kind of mentioned the location. You didn't say directly but has it been sitting in the back yard for 2 years or sitting in a climate controlled area. Maybe he has an air conditioned shop. That is kind of the difference between sitting in a warehouse for 2 years vs him storing it.

The welder sitting in the box really doesn't add much to the value. We are not talking a Mickey Mantle Rookie card here. Even if you opt to pass once opened, the next buyer will likely want to see it out and running anyhow. Looking at it out of the box, a buyer would be able to easily to tell if it has been bouncing around the back of a shop truck for the last two years and worked hard or unused.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the thoughts and tips.

The welder was in this fellow's garage the entire time. Not climate controlled, but not exactly out in the elements, either.

He is selling it to me with a satisfaction guarantee...after all, he and I are buds. And the price is nearly 30% off what I could get it for buying it out in the market.

So yeah, I wrote him a check.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind!

Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts