Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Recently bought a JD E120 and have a question about mulching. I have the mulch 'cover'. My question is, do I also need a mulch 'kit' for this model? Local dealer says only need the cover, but JD parts catalog also shows a kit (part BM21816).

Any thoughts here?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
You mower comes standard with what they call 3-in-1 blades. I believe that means cut, bag and mulch. The problem is that the blades are a compromise and don't really do any of those things well. By attaching only the mulch cover you can sort of mulch. The only advantage to this setup is you can switch from discharge to mulching just by removing the cover.

If you install the full time mulch kit (BM21816) you get a plastic baffle that bolts under your deck to better trap and grass. You also get a set of dedicated mulching blades. This kit with dedicated mulching blades will do a much better job of mulching than simply using the cover with the 3-in-1 blades.

I have the full time mulch kit on my X500 and it works great. I mulch all the time all year round and have never removed the kit since installing it 6 years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the cover on my E130 and it works fine. Using the blades that came on it. It was around $25 at Lowe’s.
It’s a ***** to put on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
On my X155R I use mulching blades all the time.:bigthumb:
And if the material is dry everything works:mulching,bagging and cutting. And the results are pretty good!:good2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts