Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked it up this afternoon. 36” aerator with two independant sets of three rollers. Bit of a drive but the price was right and I know these are extreamly well built. Looks like its set up for a catagory II three point as its 32” between the tabs for the three point arm. Or I’ve heard that Jacobson and Cushman had some sort of proprietary lift mechanism that their tractors would use. The “three point arms”’on that system are fixed. The top link move back-and-forth and that’s how you lift an implement. I wonder if that is what I have.

Question in regards to the chain: There doesnt seem to be any way to lift the implement without the back dragging. No stops or anything just the chain and I think someone just added that at some point. The rollers on the back are neat. Flattens out any roughness from the core holes. Makes sense as I know cushman is big in the golfcourse industry and they want those courses to be even. No bumps/diviots etc.

Also the tines seem to be completley wore out? Or is that just a style of tine ive not seen before? Looks like 8” is the max length of tine before it would hit the rollers on the back. Looks to be a 1” sized tine. Any good places to buy tines?

Everything spins freely. Lots of grease zerks and probably bearings and bronze bushings inside it. I’m going to put it on my 1026R and make sure I can lift it before I start modifying it with cat I tabs and making it quick hitch compatible.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so it does look like this was made to fit that cushman lift system. In the pic you can see the bottom tabs are mounted to fixed position pins. The top bar (red arrow) moves causing the implement to rotate up off the ground. The vehicle is a cushman turf truckster utility vehicle. The aerator is a jacobsen brand but looks identical to mine minus the curved tine shield. Textron owns all these brands so that makes sense.

Im pretty sure if I rotate that top bar 90ish degrees I should be able to make this work like a tradiditional three point. Ill have to move the mounting tabs closer together to standard cat 1 spacing. I’ll probably make it quick hitch compatible as well. My only concern with that is it pushes it away from the tractor a little bit giving it more leverage. Hopefully my three point has enough lift capacity to still lift it. I’m going to play with it this weekend andreport back.

Man this thing is well built. The bar that connects to the top link is 1-1/4 x 2” bar stock. 1” bar is what the hubs ride on. Roller bearings, bronze bushings and grease zerks everywhere. I know golf course equipment is crazy expensive but if it’s built like this and maintained it should last in definitely. Especially now that it’s only gonna be doing my yard and maybe a few friends.

I’m still researching the spoons. Even though these are very badly worn I think this actually may have been the original shape. Meaning that I don’t think this was a coring type spoon. It’s going to get expensive changing out those spoons I think. But if I get good ones it will probably be a buy once cry once deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see this is a popular thread lol.

My 1026r can lift it! I just chained it temporarily to my quick hitch. Lifted it up no problem. Looks like I will be moving the mounting tabs to the correct location for a Cat 1 hitch. Just have to figure out some geometry and angles for the top bar. Stay tuned

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welded up a quick hitch compatible mount....sort of. Should have made the inside tabs 25” wide not 26” wide. Would have made for easier attaching. Took off the back rollers hoping to shead weight for easier lifting. 1026r will lift it but not at idle needs 3/4 throttle. Still trying to figure out tine situation. Did a few test passes with the open spoons. Cuts in to full depth easily and makes a small air passage. Still looking for full core pulling tines.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Are you sure they're worn. If you find a source I'd order a couple to compare first. You'll want a couple of spares on the shelf anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts