Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

I have a question for people that have the Deere 62D deck. When stored, does your gearbox leak out of the vent? I recently changed the lube to 85/140 Amsoil synthetic and i had the deck up on the rear for about an hour while I fiddled around. When I put the deck down it had a puddle of gear lube on the floor. This hasn't happened before with the factory sludge in there and i can only guess that the synthetic has less resistance to flow and its draining easier.

What I'm wondering is if its possible to use the stands on the front of the deck and store it that way so the lube would stay in the box. The pictures show it front up so I'm asking before i buy a set.

Thanks.

Tom

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
It's been discussed on here before especially by people that have bought the mower deck axle stands with wheels.

Solution was to plug the breather port with a pipe plug and replacing it with the breather when putting the mower back in service.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya,

Looking at that through my engineers lens, that is not a very elegant solution, more of a ersatz field workaround. What would it take to revise a set of deck axles to have the deck nose down in the stored position, thus eliminating the issue?

·
Administrator
17,303 Posts
I'd think you'd need some HUGE wheels so the center roller would clear the floor:

62d (Medium).JPG

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hiya,

True, that is one way to get additional height, increase the radius of the wheel thus increasing the height of the axle. (Wonder if I can adapt some of those large push lawnmower wheels to the current axle?) However, the 62D has locator pins for keeping the wheels at a certain height in operation. What if we used these to locate and prevent the axle of the current setup from rotating in the bore of the sleeve on the deck, then drill and tap the ends of the axle, mill a flat on 2 sides creating a "double D" profile, then 2 additional plates broached with matching double D holes could be bolted to the ends of the axle shaft, then the existing wheels to them. This way we extend the wheel axle closer to the nose line in relation to the center line of the sleeves.

Granted this would add cost to the current configuration which could very well push the price point past the point of demand but I see 3 benefits of a nose down storage position

1) No gear lube leakage/ersatz pipe plug workaround.
2) PTO shaft could rest in the cutout in the deck
3) When cleaning, easier to get at the front inner side of the deck where mine seems to collect more grass "gunk"

These may be enough of a benefit to justify the "Optional nose down" setup cost for some people.

Now I will admit I have been accused of over-engineering in the past but I try to keep my Rube Goldberg hat off more now than I used to but sometimes it gets the best of me.... :kidw_truck_smiley:

Tom

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
Now I will admit I have been accused of over-engineering in the past but I try to keep my Rube Goldberg hat off more now than I used to but sometimes it gets the best of me.... :kidw_truck_smiley:

Tom
:lol:

Hard to do sometimes isn't it. :banghead:

·
Super Moderator
7,914 Posts
Tom, you may be able to replace the standard vent plug with another that has a sintered bronze insert to prevent leakage. You could also add a 90* elbow with a close nipple and coupling and reinstall the vent plug to be above the oil level in deck standing up position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,201 Posts
Real cheap fix is keep some gear oil on hand and replace what little was lost. I'm on the cheap side. I loose so little so far that I haven't had to add any yet. Always check it if I do loose some but haven't had to add any. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
12 Posts
What if you put a 90 fitting with a pipe and then the breather so it sits higher than the tank

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts