Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a big believer in weight distribution hitches (WDH). I even use mine when the actual tongue weight does not require it as I feel that towing is more solid and smoother and overall safer.
All my existing trailers have the standard "A" frame shaped tongue that is very conducive to weight distribution hitch (WDH) hookups.

I am looking at getting a piece of equipment that comes with what I refer to as a "stinger" type hitch; a 2.5 to 3" square or rectangular tubular steel "stinger" with a 0.25 inch wall thickness so it is very robust. A 2 5/16 ball receiver is on the end of the stinger.
Tongue weight is around 1060 lbs so I want to hook up a WDH due to the tongue weight. Is there any way that folks know of using a WDH with this type of setup. I thought that a person could weld a triangular shaped frame to the stinger just behind the hitch itself that would makes a fake "A" frame style tongue but not sure if it would work. The equipment manufacturer says that they have never heard of anyone wanting to do anything like this before.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a mill. Overall weight of the mill is not the issue as it is within the vehicle limits. The tongue weight as I said is 1060 lbs which is relatively high and does exceed the normal 10-12 percent or 10-15 percent of trailer weight that is the safety standard numbers. It does exceed the tongue weight of my vehicle if I do not use a WDH but I am OK if I can use a WDH.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was typing as you were re-posting with your second response.
Thanks I will have to look into what you found and linked.
I had no idea that there was actually that much call for what I was looking to find that the dealers would have kits for just that purpose.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Using a WDH when one is not required can actually lead to unsafe towing.

If your tongue weight is 500 lbs, and you connect a WDH, you can move weight back onto the trailer (dropping below the minimum 10% of total weight on the tongue) and the front axle (removing weight from the rear axle that would be needed for traction). Too much weight on the trailer and not enough on the tongue can put you in a situation where "tail can wag the dog". The trailer can move and cause the rear of the tow vehicle to swerve and you have no control.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts