Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting up an old oxy/acetylene torch that has been kicking around for years. The cutting torch is a Victor. I'm not sure how to identify the size of tip but it is smaller than what I used to use as a young fella when I knew everything.

What settings do you suggest I start playing with. I did set the acetylene to about 7 lbs and the oxy at about 15. Cutting 1/8" steel and it pops back a lot.

I'll try some YouTubes later but thought I would go the guys who really know first.

uploadfromtaptalk1439049724569.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
My go to is 7-10 psi on the acetylene, 30-40 on the oxygen. Then I'll adjust from there.

·
Super Moderator
7,914 Posts
I usually set ~ 12-15 PSI for the Acetylene and ~ 35 PSI for the Oxygen. Depends on what thickness material I'm cutting though. For lighter material 8-10 PSI on the Acetylene will be fine. It takes some practice but if your tip is dirty or mixture is too lean (too much Oxygen) it will tend to pop. I usually turn the Acetylene up to just beyond where it smokes, then back it down to a nice clean burn. Then turn the Oxygen up until I get a bright blue bud and then back it down a bit as well.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Those pressures are certainly in the ballpark, and should be pretty close. You could try a bit more oxygen pressure. If you've used oxy acetylene before, you know all about adjusting for a neutral flame. Make sure your tip is clean and don't get too close to the work piece.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Learning how to read the flame and adjusting it is key to running a torch. Tip selection for the material you're working with is also something to pay attention to.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. It looks like I was a little low on both fuel and oxy . I'll play with thar a little.

It's an older set up and has no check valves, they should be easy to find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
My gas settings

I run 7/30 mix on my torch. You need to have a good clean tip to make good cuts. You should then set the knobs so you get a sharp dark blue flame with no faint trails. I know I have my torch set right when I can pull the trigger and be able to play a tune with it and see the two lines from the blow hole. With a good clean tip and setup i can cut as good as a plasma with little to no slag on metal

·
Old Pa-pa
11,423 Posts
I am setting up an old oxy/acetylene torch that has been kicking around for years. The cutting torch is a Victor. I'm not sure how to identify the size of tip but it is smaller than what I used to use as a young fella when I knew everything.

What settings do you suggest I start playing with. I did set the acetylene to about 7 lbs and the oxy at about 15. Cutting 1/8" steel and it pops back a lot.

I'll try some YouTubes later but thought I would go the guys who really know first.

View attachment 50010

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
10 - 12 on the acetylene and between 30 - 40 on the oxy are good points to adjust from.

Get a torch tip cleaner from a welding supply shop and use it.
They're cheap and make a big difference.
A wire brush across the tip, now and again, helps also.

·
Administrator
17,306 Posts
I always set mine at 8-OXY / 40-Acetelyn, works fine for me, even if i'm using a "rosebud" tip.
I am certainly no torch expert but aren't your number backwards?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

40 years in Process Piping, that's how I was taught, and taught many "green" (brand new to the trades) pipefitters & welders.
When you get proficient and comfortable enough cutting pipe with a torch, one can then learn how to cut the 37.5 degree bevel on the pipe, then take a 3# hammer and beat a 1/8" landing on it, and clean it up with an end-grinder and flapper wheel. (saves the men a LOT of time over a straight cut and then beveling all that extra metal off the pipe.
OOPS !!! After wondering why someone would ask that question, I went back after I typed my reply, and daggone if you ain't CORRECT!
40 - on the Oxy., and 8- on the Acet.
Must have been one of my "brainfarts".......thanks for catching it and bring to my attention. :hide:

·
Registered
702 Posts
I use 12 acet and 40-45 oxy. I also use a 00 size (very small) tip on just about everything. Keep the tip clean, Clean before 1st use and several more times during the day when used heavily. A clean or "sharpened" tip will cut so much better. You can tell from the sound it makes when triggered in open air (not cutting) if it's clean enough and adjusted properly. It will sound like you're blowing sand out the tip (when burning and properly adjusted), not just a smooth hiss.

Proper adjustment of the flame is done by adjusting acetylene until it ALMOST stops smoking, then adjust oxygen very slowly until the light blue feather at the tip is very small. If the tip is clean enough, the flame at this point will be very straight, thin and about 1 1/2 to 2 ft long! When triggered it will give off that distinctive sound described above and the light blue feather should not grow longer. If the feather does grow when triggered, give it just a little more oxygen until it doesn't.

Again, this is MY WAY of doing this. I have found this to give the best results for my purposes. I can cleanly cut up to 1" metal with the 00 tip.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
I always set mine at 8-OXY / 40-Acetelyn, works fine for me, even if i'm using a "rosebud" tip.
Good one. Talk about brain farts, I read it as 8-acetylene / 40 oxygen. Probably because I use 8/35

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, nothing like a consistent answer. Anyway, I monkeyed around with it a little more bumping up my pressures and cleaning the tip and it is better. I think I just need some practice. It is nice to get this thing working tough after it buried in the corner of the shop for years, including the gas. Thanks for the pointers.

:good2:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I was told in my apprenticeship around 8 acetylene and 35 oxygen for cutting is a good starting point. If I'm washing a weld out 12 acetylene and 50-60 oxygen.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Glad to see everyone learned the same settings from the old timers as me.
I also go 6-8 Acet, 35-40 Oxy.
How old is an old timer? If they are old enough they likely worked off low pressure acetylene generators. There must be some low pressure acetylene cutting apparatus out there still. There certainly are for propane natural gas etc.

Turn only acetylene on, light increase pressure at regulator with acetylene valve open until it throws off smoke. That should be plenty. Unless it is the other way around it smokes to start with then stops it is pretty obvious once you do it.

The cutting oxygen really depends on the number drill size of the passage and the thickness of steel. Unless you have some machine cutting nozzles with divergent bore then up around 90.

The popping quite possibly could be because the nozzle is not seating totally keeping the gasses in the correct passages. If it is a hand torch and cutting attachment those connections there most of the time seem to have o rings, sometimes as a back up to a taper and sometimes as the only seal.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
All those settings are in the ball park , but no one mentioned to only open the acetylene bottle about one and a half turns and open the oxygen bottle all the way . Just the way I was taught and my $.02 . Be safe .:good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
All those settings are in the ball park , but no one mentioned to only open the acetylene bottle about one and a half turns and open the oxygen bottle all the way . Just the way I was taught and my $.02 . Be safe .:good2:
I don't think I've ever opened either more than one turn. :think:

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
I don't think I've ever opened either more than one turn. :think:
Oxygen bottles have a back sealed valve. In other words, you must open the valve until it stops to seal the valve stem properly. Otherwise oxygen can leak past the valve stem. There goes your dollars....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts