Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 1/2 acres that I own and have two Deere's to keep the grass mowed. The first is a 2004 GX335 (with a 54" deck, 14 bushel bagger plus power flow unit and a 42" snow thrower) and a 2012 X360 (with a 48" deck). I have a small brook on one side of my land that needs cleaning once in a while (every couple of years) plus a balsam tree near the house that I trim the top on as it is ALMOST too tall to put Christmas lights on. What I'm thinking of doing is sell the GX335 and getting a 1023e with FEL and mid mount deck (54" or 60"). Plus maybe a snow blower and brush hog (to mow some of the "lawn" that is just old pasture land. I do that now by raising the deck all the way up on my two baby deeres). Do you think the 1023e would work well for me or should I just keep the deeres I now have? And this more than likely will not happen till next year (retired and budget is tight for this "toy" lol)

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I think it’s an excellent idea, they are good law n mowers and can do so much more. I live on 3 acres and own a 2025r, which is a little bigger than what you are looking at.

Reactions: Kbar

·
Registered
89 Posts
Its hard to answer... I'm on 4 acres and have a 1025r TLB AND a 61" zero turn. I am short on time though. If time was more prevalent, the 1025 would do the job just fine.

Random thoughts:
  1. It's going to be a step down in a lot of areas from your x360 though from a mowing standpoint.
  2. The FEL is a very useful tool (and forks for that matter as a cheap addition).
  3. I might keep the 335 for beating up in the pasture, and get the 1023. (For the price of the old lawn tractor a brushmower would cost more.)
  4. You will save a lot of money on gas going to diesel. It just uses way less. For a similar horsepower you're using something close to twice the gasoline over diesel.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have 3 1/2 acres that I own and have two Deere's to keep the grass mowed. The first is a 2004 GX335 (with a 54" deck, 14 bushel bagger plus power flow unit and a 42" snow thrower) and a 2012 X360 (with a 48" deck). I have a small brook on one side of my land that needs cleaning once in a while (every couple of years) plus a balsam tree near the house that I trim the top on as it is ALMOST too tall to put Christmas lights on. What I'm thinking of doing is sell the GX335 and getting a 1023e with FEL and mid mount deck (54" or 60"). Plus maybe a snow blower and brush hog (to mow some of the "lawn" that is just old pasture land. I do that now by raising the deck all the way up on my two baby deeres). Do you think the 1023e would work well for me or should I just keep the deeres I now have? And this more than likely will not happen till next year (retired and budget is tight for this "toy" lol)
you had me at: "and getting a 1023e with FEL"
yes - for that property you need it
yes - bigger deck is better unless you have a ton of hills, bumps and obstacles... by "ton" i mean >50% of your property

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Do it. Dare I say spring for a 1025R. Very versatile machines. You can get a set of forks with it also that you never knew you needed. Be sure to get a ballast box with it. Lots of knowledge on these machines here so ask away.

Reactions: bpop and MattL

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I don’t know the cost difference between the 1023 and 1025 now but if possible squeeze out the extra bucks for the 1025R. A flail mower may be a better option than the rotary cutter “brush hog” for maintaining rough grass.

·
Registered
2022 1025R
262 Posts
I think you should keep the Deeres you have now. Doubt you could get much money for them. Keep them, run them inti the ground. The value of them, for you, is higher as keepers. And get the sub-compact of your choice.

Now this is just opinion here, but with those mowers you don't need a MMM for sub-compact. If you need a brush hog, then get that. Or look at any of the rear mowers options to pick the sturdy one that will work on what you want to keep clear. I have brush hog. I'll further suggest a shear pin version. I have the slip clutch version and it is a lot to know and maintain (if you tinker, then get one).

So let's say you get a sub-compact and a loader. Easiest to just leave the loader on all the time. I'm switching between loader and MMM, myself. I also have an old Deere garden tractor/mower (54" deck). I find it easier to still just mow with that, than take the loader off the 1025.

Let me say, yes, easy to take a quick detach loader off. But still is even easier to leave it on. Having a loader tractor separate from a mower tractor is my suggestion of the easiest way. The loader tractor can leave loader on and use 3ph brush hog, and probably should be left on for that (counter-balance front balast, and feeling things in front in tall weeds).

For snow, what to do if you have a loader tractor? I don't favor taking the loader off. I added edge tamers, cheap, easy, effective, so bucket slides along ground for snow "plowing." For 1 driveway, loader bucket clears just fine. Lots can argue for what is best, and it depends on the driveway. My point is the loader bucket will work for snow. You can always get a plow or snow pusher for the loader later, if you decide you don't like the bucket. Or later get a front frame mounted plow or snowblower. I'm just saying, I bet the bucket will work fine.

I will say a longer drivewsy, longer than 200 feet, will definitely do better with a plow or snowblower. A plow to quickly roll snow off to the one side, or a snowblower to throw it to one side. Then you run 500 feet like that. Whereas a bucket is more the pushing snow into the bucket, and pushing any extra snow straight ahead. The bucket can fill and still push snow straight ahead, it just doesn't control which side the snow rolls off to. So a bucket for plowing is either a 50 foot push, or a few separate diagonal 50 foot pushes to go 200 feet (simple math is 4 pushes diagonally off to the side gets you 200 feet). If going 500 feet, you probably don't want 10 diagonal pushes, but would rather have an angled plow.

I have a rear blade, which can be angled. You need something back there for ballast, so either a ballast box, a rear blade, or a rear snowblower. No matter what season, you need counter weight in back for your front loader weight.

Most the time, my 1025 is loader and bucket, with ballast box on 3ph (most common all year). In summer, the 2nd most common configuration is loader and bucket, with brush hog on 3ph. In winter, the 2nd most common configuration is loader and bucket, with rear blade on 3ph. I've got some summer projects for the rear blade, but my brush hog gets more use at the moment.

Ballast box is most common no matter the season. Just easier and more compact to work the loader with a ballast box on back than have anything else in rear. For me, this is true for snow, too.

Everyone will be different, but that's my opinion. And I've only had my 1025 since March. Had a lot of snow in March and April, so did use it a lot for that. 24" snowfalls are common for me, per storm, and loader bucket was fine on that. I do also get 36" and 48" storms, and believe loader bucket will work fine on those, also. I still have a walk-behind snowblower, but don't plan on having to use it now that I have the loader bucket.

For others reading this, I not saying anything wrong with a MMM. Just saying if you already have some sort of riding mower, you may find yourself just leaving the bucket on the sub-compact because so many uses for a bucket. But if you didn't have a riding mower, then sure, the sub-compact with a drive over MMM can handle the multiple duties and switching configurations with the well designed Deere is no problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have similar property size and a longggg driveway. I have the 1025r and it gets the job done. I have a small wildflower meadow that I mow with it at the end of fall and you have to go real slow but it gets it done. I do have hills though, some steep and it’s not good on the steep ones. Feels very tippy. There’s a section I don’t even do any more. Tiller it for wildflowers. I do have the snowblower and absolutely love it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks all for your inputs. I was thinking of keeping one of the ole Deere's just to do some simple mowing. The problem I have is, some of the places I mow in my pasture area I can NOT fit a 54" deck between rocks (well I could fit the mower between the rocks but it would not do the deck any good). I do like that the GX335 has a bagger unit on it as I have about 4 maple trees in my back yard. Time will tell what I will do.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Thanks all for your inputs. I was thinking of keeping on of the ole Deere's just to do some simple mowing. The preblem I have is, some of the places I mow in my pasture area I can NOT fit a 54" deck between rocks (well I could fit the mower between the rocks but it would not do the deck any good). I do like that the GX335 has a bagger unit on it as I have about 4 maple trees in my back yard. Time will tell wha I will do.
Can you move the rocks if you had a FEL?

Reactions: plumber802

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
I've owned a 1023e for over two (2) years now. I've done things I have been wanting to do for many, many years. It's a workhorse, it's capable of doing much more than you think, and the projects I've completed on my property are a source of pride.

I live on a very steep hill and have no problems mowing, grading, etc. with the 1023. Today I had a tree crew in to take down a very large oak and saved over $2000 because I did the cleanup work myself using the 1023e, my chipper, my grapple, and the wifes Gator. I never thought I would enjoy yard work, but I do now. Go for it, buy the 1023e.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I think you should keep the Deeres you have now. Doubt you could get much money for them. Keep them, run them inti the ground. The value of them, for you, is higher as keepers. And get the sub-compact of your choice.

Now this is just opinion here, but with those mowers you don't need a MMM for sub-compact. If you need a brush hog, then get that. Or look at any of the rear mowers options to pick the sturdy one that will work on what you want to keep clear. I have brush hog. I'll further suggest a shear pin version. I have the slip clutch version and it is a lot to know and maintain (if you tinker, then get one).

So let's say you get a sub-compact and a loader. Easiest to just leave the loader on all the time. I'm switching between loader and MMM, myself. I also have an old Deere garden tractor/mower (54" deck). I find it easier to still just mow with that, than take the loader off the 1025.

Let me say, yes, easy to take a quick detach loader off. But still is even easier to leave it on. Having a loader tractor separate from a mower tractor is my suggestion of the easiest way. The loader tractor can leave loader on and use 3ph brush hog, and probably should be left on for that (counter-balance front balast, and feeling things in front in tall weeds).

For snow, what to do if you have a loader tractor? I don't favor taking the loader off. I added edge tamers, cheap, easy, effective, so bucket slides along ground for snow "plowing." For 1 driveway, loader bucket clears just fine. Lots can argue for what is best, and it depends on the driveway. My point is the loader bucket will work for snow. You can always get a plow or snow pusher for the loader later, if you decide you don't like the bucket. Or later get a front frame mounted plow or snowblower. I'm just saying, I bet the bucket will work fine.

I will say a longer drivewsy, longer than 200 feet, will definitely do better with a plow or snowblower. A plow to quickly roll snow off to the one side, or a snowblower to throw it to one side. Then you run 500 feet like that. Whereas a bucket is more the pushing snow into the bucket, and pushing any extra snow straight ahead. The bucket can fill and still push snow straight ahead, it just doesn't control which side the snow rolls off to. So a bucket for plowing is either a 50 foot push, or a few separate diagonal 50 foot pushes to go 200 feet (simple math is 4 pushes diagonally off to the side gets you 200 feet). If going 500 feet, you probably don't want 10 diagonal pushes, but would rather have an angled plow.

I have a rear blade, which can be angled. You need something back there for ballast, so either a ballast box, a rear blade, or a rear snowblower. No matter what season, you need counter weight in back for your front loader weight.

Most the time, my 1025 is loader and bucket, with ballast box on 3ph (most common all year). In summer, the 2nd most common configuration is loader and bucket, with brush hog on 3ph. In winter, the 2nd most common configuration is loader and bucket, with rear blade on 3ph. I've got some summer projects for the rear blade, but my brush hog gets more use at the moment.

Ballast box is most common no matter the season. Just easier and more compact to work the loader with a ballast box on back than have anything else in rear. For me, this is true for snow, too.

Everyone will be different, but that's my opinion. And I've only had my 1025 since March. Had a lot of snow in March and April, so did use it a lot for that. 24" snowfalls are common for me, per storm, and loader bucket was fine on that. I do also get 36" and 48" storms, and believe loader bucket will work fine on those, also. I still have a walk-behind snowblower, but don't plan on having to use it now that I have the loader bucket.

For others reading this, I not saying anything wrong with a MMM. Just saying if you already have some sort of riding mower, you may find yourself just leaving the bucket on the sub-compact because so many uses for a bucket. But if you didn't have a riding mower, then sure, the sub-compact with a drive over MMM can handle the multiple duties and switching configurations with the well designed Deere is no problem.
Nice post but you lost me with 24" snowfall being common. I don't even want to think about a 48" snow fall. My 790 would not handle that well at all. On the other hand, it was 90 degrees the other day with 88% humidity so there are always tradeoffs. Yes- it felt like being in a steam bath just being outside. My clothes squished all the way through.

Reactions: jeff_tractor

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,646 Posts
Nice post but you lost me with 24" snowfall being common. I don't even want to think about a 48" snow fall. My 790 would not handle that well at all. On the other hand, it was 90 degrees the other day with 88% humidity so there are always tradeoffs. Yes- it felt like being in a steam bath just being outside. My clothes squished all the way through.
We had actual temps of 98 the last few days and the heat index was 119. That was at 5pm........Thankfully, those days are very rare around here. In fact, I think it may have set records, but I would have to check.........

Today, its going to be more "normal" for us, around 80 degrees. Then tomorrow, a high of 70, which is great. Of course, the 98 degree days came when I was mowing all day outside. That's enough to cure me from wanting to live where those 98 degree temps happen often. We also had humidity in the high 70's on the hot days, which the combination is "jungle like" for our area........No thanks..........

24" snow, while a challenge, I can handle it, just as long as its not at 30 degrees so its like concrete to move......In our area, when we get a lot of snowfall like 24"+, its usally in the 20's or colder and its a breeze to move. Sort of fun in a way, as the snow flies off the blade or pusher. Sort of like in this short video I posted.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had 32" of snow back in December 2020 and my GX335 with 42" snow thrower moved the snow but I had to work it HARD!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I traded a 335 in on my 1025.

Mowing wise the 60” deck on ground with varying slope doesn’t mow as nice compared to the 54” deck. This is typical and the trade off of wider decks.

What surprised me is that in 2wd and did lock off the 1025 has a tighter turn radius than the 335.

Overall I took a half hour off my mowing time with the wider deck and time saved turning. I’m not a lawn nazi. So I don’t mind the slightly lower quality cut.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts