Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hosting my daughters wedding in mid August. I figured someone here would have some incite into the best way to control them before the big tent and the people show up. First of all the layout, I have 6 acres of which is grass and a body of water. Should I use a mosquito trap using propane? and if so which one, or should I spray the acreage with a liquid product like mosquito Barrier and spray the acreage weeks before. Let me know your thoughts so I can get on it now

Thanks, looking forward to the results
Brett

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Spray the entire acreage with Malathion in the evening before. It's what cities spray from the air. It's safe and effective for killing adult mosquitoes. Do you know any crop dusters?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Tempo and Asana are also options. We typically use Tempo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
If you are not trying to cover the entire 6 acres, a 5% citronella spray can be used the night before. can get it in a RTU hose end spray container. It will also repel wasps, chiggers, and other annoying insects.

Congrats on the wedding. I hope you are getting a great son in law!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Congratulations!!! I like home weddings that way. My wife and I got married at my parents place. Save a lot of money and the wedding came out great! I could not have paid a lot of money for a better venue. :thumbup1gif:

As for the mosquitos I am not sure. I always sit there and get eaten up at our place. :lol:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Nuke it 3 days before with Malthion.

Why 3 days?

Malthion stinks for two days, and brides tend to have hissy fits over small details like that.

Mow everything down to the nubbins the day before you spray, to keep survivors to a min.

Malthion has a real short REI, shorter than most pyrethoids and the knockdown is about equal.
Where Malthion has an advantage is control 3-4 days after application and in the heat, and at least here it's cheaper.

Pyrethoids are hard on pond critters. If you go that route, absolutely avoid ANY drift toward the pond...not one tiny whif, or the fish will float belly up the next day.

An alternative is either Pyganic or "Evergreen" Pyrethrum based insecticides the day before.
They both have an impressive immediate knockdown, but thier effectiveness fades in 2 days or so.
They are OMRI listed and expensive, but if "Organic" is an issue politically, they do work...sort of.

Good luck and congrats!

·
Registered
618 Posts
You can get BTI at most stores, but I would recommend getting your hands on Altosid XR. This is what we received a couple years ago for a West Nile breakout. It is not a pesticide and only affects a few breeds of Mosquitos that carry the viruses. You do have to have a Vector Control License to use it in most states but I am sure you could find someone to help out. The tablets only work when they get wet and if they dry out they go dormant. Essentially, these will stop the larvae from maturing, works for 180 days.

These would go into your ponds, start using them right away. Won't harm the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
When young....I remember riding my bicycle behind the mosquito fogger truck. He would go up and down each street in the neighborhood . I am not sure, but more than likely he was fogging with ddt.

Now that I relayed that tidbit of useless info....I'll get down to my question :laugh:

How would be the best way to spray ? Do I do like the street fogger of old and turn my nozzles up, so it fogs the area , or would it work with them spraying in the usual manner, pointing down?

·
Registered
770 Posts
When young....I remember riding my bicycle behind the mosquito fogger truck. He would go up and down each street in the neighborhood . I am not sure, but more than likely he was fogging with ddt.

Now that I relayed that tidbit of useless info....I'll get down to my question :laugh:

How would be the best way to spray ? Do I do like the street fogger of old and turn my nozzles up, so it fogs the area , or would it work with them spraying in the usual manner, pointing down?
Mow everything and apply to the cut grass at label rates.

Then fire up the wand and go after the perimeter, trees and bushes. Undersides of leaves is where the little vampires hang out in daylight, so show the love.

Unless you have a fan sprayer or true fogger, you aren't going to get airborne knockdown, and need to get them where they land and shelter.
2-3 days of getting nuked whenever they land in your AO, will drasticly reduce the numbers, but more will blow in after several days.
It's a Temp relief thing, not a cure.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
An old thread but I have to give a huge thumbs up to BTI which I bought as "Summit Mosquito Dunk" . :bigthumb:

I had heard about this on a garden show I caught on the radio and figured I'd give it a try since it was not too expensive ($22 on Amazon). We have a couple places that have standing water and especially 1 birdbath that had a bazillion mosquito larvae swimming around in it. Yesterday I broke up one of the tablets to put in a few places and checked today and the mosquito larvae in that nasty birdbath are all dead. I can't believe it worked overnight like that.

The garden show suggested emptying most of the standing water bu leaving a few standing water places with this stuff in it to "bait" the females into laying their eggs there. The BTI in the baited water kills the larvae and the mosquito population practically disappears as the season goes on. Its a natural bacteria killer that doesn't hurt any other wildlife.

If last night is any indication of results this will be a mostly mosquito free summer!!! :good2:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Assuming that your main concern is uninvited mosquitos showing up in the wedding tent, and not long term mosquito control for your entire farm.

Two suggestions:

A temporary misting system for the tent and adjacent area. These can be rented for special events. Or you may find a local company that offers this service.

Fans.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Zombie thread walks the earth......

This is a relevant topic for the season so I appreciate the resurrection. In my neck of the woods, Wisdom TC Flowable found at TSC is highly regarded. It is VERY effective at keeping mosquitoes away from the sprayed area for up to a few weeks. It has some drawbacks; toxic to fish, bad for flowers, honey bees and don't spray your garden, lick the spoon, etc.... So you have to weight the good with the bad and make a call.

I live surrounded by wetlands an rivers, I personally don't use it, but we make all the mosquitoes for the area. My neighbors, who are over the hill, away from the water a bit use it and their yard is an oasis compared to mine or others around theirs. I'll have to find out if it helps with the deer fly. They become the dominant pest when July rolls around...

my 2 cents!

Matt

·
Registered
640 Posts
Citronella plants and other herbs are a natural deterrent for mosquitoes. Lemongrass and Lavender are the most common herbs. Also if you have standing water sources, you can use the discs that treat standing water and kill off larva.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, it is not simply to kill mosquito, you need to follow the above tips that are recommended by others on mosquito protection then you will definitely minimize the problem. But, if you fail to eradicate it completely, then likely a professional mosquito pest control NJ firm is your best solution.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts