Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago I had the male quick connect coupler for the 3rd function (on the front of the loader) leaking from the poppet. I eventually replaced the quick connect coupler with a brand new one, and that fixed the leak.

Fast forward a month, and the new connector is also leaking from the poppet. You can watch it and see the drip forming from the poppet. I've only disconnected/reconnected my 4-1 bucket a handful of times during this period.

I am meticulous about always use the covers for the couplers when not in use, and I also always wipe them all before insert - even though they looked spotless.

Im starting to think I must be doing something wrong if I've now had this exact same problem twice!

Firstly, when the 4-1 bucket is not connected, is there high pressure behind this quick connect on the loader? Or is this line only pressuried if I was to accidentally press the 3rd function button on the joystick?(which I dont believe im doing).

Do I need to be relieving hydraulic pressure to the 3rd function every time I switch the tractor off, even though the 3rd function is not being used when I have pallet forks on?

Any other ideas as to whats going wrong?

Thanks

Attachments

· Premium Member
2018 1025R
283 Posts
Nope, I'd say you're just experiencing a case of bad luck. They're not supposed to leak, pressurized or no. I'm used to seeing the females on that side of things... but I know some people set up this way to make it easy to remember which hose goes where. It "shouldn't" matter. Is that leaking from the threaded end and running down... or the poppet?

· Registered
6 Posts
Replace the QC fitting.

I had the same problem on a fitting going to my grapple. I take the same care as you, but one of the grapple fittings just started to leak. Kenny can can probably identify what fitting(s) you need from your picture.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replace the QC fitting.

I had the same problem on a fitting going to my grapple. I take the same care as you, but one of the grapple fittings just started to leak. Kenny can can probably identify what fitting(s) you need from your picture.
I have already replaced the male quick connect coupler I circled in the photo.

Or are you suggesting to also replace the female coupler on the 4-1 bucket, incase thats somehow damaging the male coupler?

· Premium Member
2021 4044M
139 Posts
Did you use a good quality QC? I know there are cheap ones out there but they aren't worth the hassle. I get all of my connectors from a hydraulic supply company that does a lot of high end hydraulic work and haven't had a problem (knocks on wood.)

· Premium Member
11,351 Posts
Unfortunately these QD couplers are not that great in the pressure dept. They're convenient and snappy but not the best couplers by far. Basically low pressure snap ons that you got take real good care of and if they leak then get another one. A pro on these is that they’re cheap. You might get lucky and do the ole finger pop with it and it might reseal. Sometimes a little grit gets in the way of the seal and all it takes is to push the middle part in and let it snap closed. If it continues to leak your internal O-ring is failed and it needs a replacement.

· Registered
235 Posts
I would advise swapping this coupler with any other male coupler you have on some implement or whatever (not the one on the 4-1 bucket).
There is much that can be learned from this. You can verify whether there is specific problem with the coupler or the whole line.
I have seen people use and abuse those couplers without encountering any problems at all so this is definitely weird.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you use a good quality QC? I know there are cheap ones out there but they aren't worth the hassle. I get all of my connectors from a hydraulic supply company that does a lot of high end hydraulic work and haven't had a problem (knocks on wood.)
The original coupler that leaked was the OEM one supplied by John Deere. The replacement that also leaked, came from Summit.

· Premium Member
2018 1025R
283 Posts
Not much to make them leak when they're that new except debris. It could be something accidentally introduced any time you connect, no matter the age. I do wonder if the male qc's are more susceptible to debris than the female. Like I say, typically on the side which would hold pressure when you're not using an implement...you see the females. If it were mine, I'd probably switch to female on this side, and put a new male one on the implement hose. If you can't remember which hose goes where afterwards, add a zip tie around one end on the implement, and its match on the loader... or use a color-coded cap or something. Again though, that's just me.

· Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
5,223 Posts
Seems odd that 2 couplers would have the same leak. I would check the mating coupler to make sure there isn't something causing damage to the ones you replaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts