Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new JD 1025R with the quick connect PTO for the tractor and rotary cutter (shredder). I cannot get the quick connect on the shredder to click onto the PTO. It’s hitting something and won’t go on all the way to where I can hear the click, like the dealer showed me. Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Is the collar retracted completely?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Before installing look inside the front knuckle. You will see "balls". Manually pull the collar back and use a screw driver to see if the balls are loose and retract.

Do you have grease on the external and internal splines?

When installing and it stops, try to pull the collar back (away from the tractor PTO) and see if you can slide it on.

I hope this makes sense.

·
Premium Member
12,658 Posts
T
It's very important to keep the PTO shaft locking collar lubricated with a spray lubricant that WON'T attract dirt, like grease will. There are a number of good products from several companies. I like the Amsoil Metal Treatment Lubricant

When you slide the PTO shaft onto the tractor, make sure to do the following;

1. Flip up the PTO shaft safety shield on the tractor, its hinged at the top and lifts towards the tractor seat. it makes connecting the rear implements so much easier as the shield isn't in your way. Once connected, flip the safety shield back down.

2. Put a dab of grease on the very tip of the PTO shaft on the tractor, probably the last 2". It makes sliding the implement PTO on the shaft easier. I avoid greasing the entire thing as the grease can gum up and attract dirt into the locking coupler over time.

3. Sometimes, you have to slightly rotate the PTO shaft on the mower to get the splines to align. Try getting it connected and if the PTO shaft isn't sliding on, rotate the PTO shaft about 1/8th of a turn and try again. Sometimes, I have to rotate the PTO shaft 3 or 4 times to get the alignment. I will tell you step 2 makes this MUCH easier......

3. Once you have the mower PTO shaft partially slid onto the tractor PTO. Pull the locking collar around the end of the implement PTO shaft towards the mower and push the shaft assembly towards the tractor at the same time. Once you do this, the PTO will click and then you can't pull the shaft from the mower off the tractor.

Here is a screenshot of the PTO locking coupler on the Frontier mower. You need to pull the entire collar (#2) back towards the mower while pushing the shaft onto the tractor.
Font Engineering Auto part Drawing Household hardware

Please understand, you can get the PTO shaft on the end of the splined shaft on the tractor WITHOUT pulling back on the locking collar. It's only when you want to slide the PTO shaft all of the way on and LOCK it, you need to pull the collar back.

I mention this because its hard to pull the collar back and try to get the shaft started on the splined shaft. Wait until you have the implement shaft on started on the male splined shaft on the tractor, THEN pull back on the collar while pushing the shaft towards the tractor. Then it will lock and you will be all set.

4. ALWAYS double check the PTO shaft is locked on the tractor PTO by pulling on it.

One other tip, try connecting the mower's PTO from both sides of the tractor. Some have much better success connecting from the left side when sitting on the tractor and others from the right side. If you can't seem to get it connected, try the other side.

Reactions: farmer52

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
I use a spray graphite so I don't get a buildup.

rob

Reactions: 99f250

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just bought a new JD 1025R with the quick connect PTO for the tractor and rotary cutter (shredder). I cannot get the quick connect on the shredder to click onto the PTO. It’s hitting something and won’t go on all the way to where I can hear the click, like the dealer showed me. Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong? Thanks.
Travis, are you talking about the John Deere Quik Kinect system? Please clarify. I think most of the replies assume you have a standard locking collar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and help. I have tried everything and cannot get the Quik Kinect to connect. It just won’t go on far enough to click into place. I finally just gave up. I’ll take it back to the dealer.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Like previously stated it sounds like the splines aren’t lined up. Make sure your PTO lever is in the ‘mid only’ position and rotate the PTO shaft a 1/4 turn at a time until the coupler slides on.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I suggest replacing with a push button type. I complained to my JD sales guy about that collar connector. He supplied my Frontier RC with a push button one like I had on the MacKissic chipper/shredder. Now have a push button type on the new WM WC46 chipper.

Irregardless, on both of them put the PTO in front position so you can easily turn it by hand and get the PTO placed onto the end of the PTO in the right position. THEN pull the collar back and push the thing fully in place. Pull back on it to make sure the thing has latched in place (didn't do that once and had the PTO come flying off). Both the collar type (reverse ergonomic gizmo) and push button have to be fulled pulled back/pushed to get the thing fully onto the rest of the shaft.

Ralph

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I have tried everything and cannot get the Quik Kinect to connect. It just won’t go on far enough to click into place.
Travis - When I first started using the Quick Kinect I had a similar problem. I discovered that I had the PTO plate pushed too far towards the tractor (but not by much). I learned that the plate needs to be even with the end of PTO spline, then everything will "click" in place. While the Quick Kinect system is better for me that a collar, still not easy, especially with the I-match system. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Travis - When I first started using the Quick Kinect I had a similar problem. I discovered that I had the PTO plate pushed too far towards the tractor (but not by much). I learned that the plate needs to be even with the end of PTO spline, then everything will "click" in place. While the Quick Kinect system is better for me that a collar, still not easy, especially with the I-match system. Hope that helps.
That helps a lot. I have just learned the same thing from the dealer, who didn’t explain that to me when the tractor was delivered. I’ll see if I have better luck getting it connected this weekend. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and help. I have tried everything and cannot get the Quik Kinect to connect. It just won’t go on far enough to click into place. I finally just gave up. I’ll take it back to the dealer.
Thanks again.
I had the same problem finally had enough and took that POS off and replaced it with quick connect from Tractor PTO Link system. A little pricey but worth every damn penny to not have to aggravate with the one that came on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts