Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well i just bought a 3 point hitch pto wood chipper for my JD 2320 Now i hear than when you stop the pto the flywheel on chipper may do same damage/strain on tractor pto:unknown::unknown: till it stops Some use a QUICK DETACH OVERRUNNING CLUTCH COUPLER Any advice if i need or not:munch::munch::cheers: pto clutch.jpg

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
What would get damaged? My stump grinder has a bunch of inertia and when you disengage the PTO it just keeps spinning until it winds itself down.

·
Registered
23,284 Posts
Over running couplers were used for older tractors that didn't have live PTO. Like the old Ford 8N - the PTO works off the transmission directly - push the clutch in and the PTO stops along with the tractor drive. With those types you needed the over running coupler so as not to put backlash pressure on the gears when the implement was winding down.

I know someone here can explain it better than I can......

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Over running couplers were used for older tractors that didn't have live PTO. Like the old Ford 8N - the PTO works off the transmission directly - push the clutch in and the PTO stops along with the tractor drive. With those types you needed the over running coupler so as not to put backlash pressure on the gears when the implement was winding down.

Yes for same older tractors i know is a must to have just i do not know for new ones if it helps/hurt/nice to have:unknown: On a second thought i wonder if this coupler can be use as an extension if my drive shaft for my rottotiller is a bit short- was match to fit a JD2210 and now i have a JD 2320 A new drive shaft like mine/eurocardan is like 4-500:munch:

·
Premium Member
13,044 Posts

Most of these newer tractors have a PTO brake which can see a lot of stress from heavy spinning masses.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
safety

It was also an important safety issues with the older tractors. The PTO was a direct connection to the transmission so if the clutch was pushed in the implement would still drive the tractor forward until all of the PTO rotation stopped. There was no secondary PTO clutch to break that connection when the PTO was engaged.

If you have a PTO brake on your newer equipment an overrunning coupler might be a good idea. I doubt a PTO brake designed to stop lawnmower blades would stand up to chipper head rotation for very long. I don't have a PTO brake on any tractor but while it's a cool safety idea, I don't see it being very long lasting with larger equipment where there's a heavy weight turning at high speeds. In that case, somethings gonna give. I really don't want to be around if you try to stop a heavy flywheel really quickly with a brake on the other end of a PTO shaft.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Why would you have a PTO brake? No power being fed means the frictional losses will stop it before long anyway. Is this something they do to protect Harry Homeowner from himself?

I can turn my output shaft by hand when the PTO clutch isn't engaged (no power to it).

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why would you have a PTO brake? No power being fed means the frictional losses will stop it before long anyway. Is this something they do to protect Harry Homeowner from himself?

I can turn my output shaft by hand when the PTO clutch isn't engaged (no power to it).
me i can not turn pto shaft if i just stop the pto with yellow switch:munch: jd 2320

·
Registered
346 Posts

Haven't you ever seen an older tractor with the PTO disengaged and the shaft still spinning? The close coupling and fluid viscosity between rotating clutch parts causes the shaft to turn even when it's disengaged. It's not transferring any real power, but it still spins.

I'm surprised your tractor doesn't have a brake. My 4120 PTO will not turn when disengaged.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts