Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to know (or remember) the size bolt that R2Manufacturing uses to secure the Edge Tamers to the bucket? I wanted to order some swivel pads for the bottom of them to give me a more secure fit but I don't know the thread size off the top of my head. :banghead:

They are currently on my neighbors tractor being put to good use so I can't measure one...

·
Super Moderator
2,202 Posts
I don't remember the size right off but I can check tonight if need be. I seem to recall them being fine thread bolts too.

·
Premium Member
12,165 Posts
My bolts are 1/2-20 x 2-1/2 long.

Please let us know where you get the swivel pads.

·
Premium Member
12,165 Posts
Yes please!

I’m afraid to crank down too hard and put dimples in my bucket.
I've cranked mine down pretty hard and they will put tiny marks on the surface of the bucket where the tip of the bolt digs in. Nothing that would ever be an issue.

But swivels on the tips would be a more elegant setup.

·
Administrator
17,964 Posts
Moved to R2 forum.

·
Administrator
17,964 Posts
I've cranked mine down pretty hard and they will put tiny marks on the surface of the bucket where the tip of the bolt digs in. Nothing that would ever be an issue.

But swivels on the tips would be a more elegant setup.

Don't the little washers they send act as little swivels? Maybe not elegant, but functional.

·
Premium Member
12,165 Posts
Don't the little washers they send act as little swivels? Maybe not elegant, but functional.
I don't recall mine coming with any washers. Perhaps it is something they started adding later.

·
Super Moderator
2,202 Posts
Mine came with a couple fender washers. Don't remember the exact size as I threw them in my nut/bolt/washer organizer bin. Less likely to get lost. If I need to use them, I just grab a couple fender washers out of there. Exact size isn't very important, as long as they're bigger than the bolt.

·
Premium Member
12,165 Posts
Mine came with a couple fender washers. Don't remember the exact size as I threw them in my nut/bolt/washer organizer bin. Less likely to get lost. If I need to use them, I just grab a couple fender washers out of there. Exact size isn't very important, as long as they're bigger than the bolt.
Wouldn't you need the hole in the washer to be smaller than the bolt so the bolt tip doesn't pass through and touch the bucket?

·
Super Moderator
2,202 Posts
Ok, you got me :laugh:

If the hole was too big, I guess you could fill the hole with more fender washers :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Threaded bolt

Make sure the bolt is completely threaded. I had a hard time finding them and ended up getting them from R2.
I could find the correct size, but they weren't completely threaded. The washers keep the bolt from walking while tightening.

·
Premium Member
12,165 Posts
Make sure the bolt is completely threaded. I had a hard time finding them and ended up getting them from R2.
I could find the correct size, but they weren't completely threaded. The washers keep the bolt from walking while tightening.
You can get 1/2-20 x 2-1/2 inch fully threaded Grade-8 hex head bolts from McMaster-Carr. $5.21 in single unit quantities.

·
Administrator
17,964 Posts
You can get 1/2-20 x 2-1/2 inch fully threaded Grade-8 hex head bolts from McMaster-Carr. $5.21 in single unit quantities.
My gut says that R2 sold them to him much cheaper than that.

·
Vendor
68 Posts
Alright, sorry it took us so long to reply…

jgayman, you are correct on the bolt, thank you! For what it’s worth, that information is listed on our FAQ here: I lost my bolt!

coaltrain, I don’t remember if we sent them to you or not, but we have for the last several years.

Oncebitten, let us know what you find in terms of the swivel pads! We went for the simplest solution, as Kenny said, but if people find something else works better, we’re listening. One thing is that the current simple solution is the least expensive, and we’re always mindful of our customers’ wallets. But if there's something out there that works even better...

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Alright, sorry it took us so long to reply…

jgayman, you are correct on the bolt, thank you! For what it’s worth, that information is listed on our FAQ here: I lost my bolt!

coaltrain, I don’t remember if we sent them to you or not, but we have for the last several years.

Oncebitten, let us know what you find in terms of the swivel pads! We went for the simplest solution, as Kenny said, but if people find something else works better, we’re listening. One thing is that the current simple solution is the least expensive, and we’re always mindful of our customers’ wallets. But if there's something out there that works even better...
Not an issue at all - they work just fine as is.

I am so happy to have them especially as I spread $700 worth of new gravel on my driveway this year. The Edge Tamers will save my new gravel!

·
Premium Member
12,165 Posts
Not an issue at all - they work just fine as is.

I am so happy to have them especially as I spread $700 worth of new gravel on my driveway this year. The Edge Tamers will save my new gravel!
Same here... they work just fine sans washer. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I think the easiest way to approach this is to simply weld some 1/2-20 steel nuts onto some 1.125" dia x .250" thick steel discs (pads) since I don't see anything commercially available. I am looking into whipping up fifty (50) of them since there isn't much cost involved.

That being said, I don't want to step on any toes. Maybe the good folks at R2 Man will trade me an Edge Tamer or two for the majority of the ones I make. Lol...

I'll keep everyone posted...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts