Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to try striping my front lawn for a while. Yesterday, in the oppressive heat and humidity, I quickly fabricated a striping attachment for my Z445.

To start, I used a section of Stall-Mat. I determined the depth needed was to be 9". The mat was 4' wide, so it worked out well to cover the rear wheels width.
IMG_2456.JPG

I used a section of 1-1/2" x 1/4" angle for the mount and a section of 1/4" flat-bar as a backing plate.
IMG_2457.JPG

After cutting the sections to length, I drilled holes for mounting.
IMG_2458.JPG

Below is the assembly.
IMG_2459.JPG

Mounted to the hitch.
IMG_2460.JPG

A side view.
IMG_2461.JPG

The striping angle bar is attached to a home-build hitch. It easily installed and removed with a 1/2" bolt, 2-washers, 1-lock washer and a nut. It's very sturdy, as the angle iron is butted tightly against the hitch plate.

According to my measurements, the bottom of the mat was to just clear a hard surface. This will prevent premature wear of the mat by not making continues contact with a hard surfaces. Once on the lawn, it should apply light pressure to the grass blades, laying them forward. When on my driveway, the mat has 3/8" of clearance to the surface.

I'll test it next time the lawn needs mowing, which shouldn't be to long of a wait because of the everyday rain showers we're getting.

If all works out well, I'll disassemble it for prepping and paint. I'll update this thread with the results.

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
I think it should work well. I've seen quite a few DIY stiping kits over the years.

A question - how flexible is the mat? With my first glance I think if it is stiff you might end up raising it a little. As it is, and if stiff, I think you might see too much pressure on the grass.

I have in my mind something more flexible like a big truck mud flap. That would have enough flex not to affect the lower portion of the grass blades.

I've also seen some made with a series of short pieces of chain that will partially drag along on the grass.

In all reality, you only need the slightest tilt of the grass blades so that catch the light from the sky at different angles. That's what actually gives the striping effect.

Just my unofficial unscientific unprofessional 2 cents. Looking forward to see your results.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts