Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been doing some searching thinking that maybe someone has already built a mower of some sort on the quick hitch on the front of there tractor. We'll I found nothing. Coming from owning a steiner and seeing some on the early cubs did have a option like this I thought it could be handy. Share you thoughts or maybe some one on here has done it. I'm thinking of building something but it would be nice to see someone's idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
747 Posts
I've thought about this a fair bit as my last mower was a golf course mower, F932 Front Deck mower. It did a much better job as the deck was deeper and the grass gets cut before the wheels lay it down. The belly mower I have now tends to leave strips behind as the front wheels lay it down so it doesn't get cut.

My thought was to adapt a front mower deck to our tractor. Our tractors have a 2200RPM mid PTO shaft output so using a rear mower on the front won't work without some kind of gear reduction. Front deck mowers run around 1800-1900Rpm which is pretty close and you could always throttle back a bit as needed.

You would still need to do all the fabbing of mounts and driveline hook up. The front deck mower has a 2 point lifting system that might be able to adapted over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I m going to keep my eyes peeled for a front mower and do something.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
IF I were looking to make these mods I'd choose my 54D mower deck AND mount it backwards on the front of the tractor. In my experience both my 54D and 48C mow 10 times better backing up with the 54D WAY AHEAD on cut quality. Either of those decks front mounted backward would be total killer leaf destroyers.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have thought the same thing! I've looked at my 62c deck and it seems to me all you would have to do is hang the deck from the frame of a front sweeper setup? The same drive shaft setup for the snowblower or sweeper can run the mower deck just fine. The shaft on the mower is already facing the correct direction. I envision a front frame like on some sweepers that has two wheels out front and just hang the deck from that. seems simple enough.

·
Registered
357 Posts
So I've been doing some searching thinking that maybe someone has already built a mower of some sort on the quick hitch on the front of there tractor. We'll I found nothing. Coming from owning a steiner and seeing some on the early cubs did have a option like this I thought it could be handy. Share you thoughts or maybe some one on here has done it. I'm thinking of building something but it would be nice to see someone's idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paZqI1iSSTo

Reactions: mjncad and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
8,047 Posts
For some reason the Europeans have options and attachments available to them that we can only lust after.

However; if you are looking for a front PTO for your tractor; check JD parts as you can probably get the kit and/or parts numbers for European items. Then contact your dealer and see if they can get them for you. For all you know they could be sitting in a Deere warehouse on the East Coast somewhere.

My 4200's shop manual shows European wiring diagrams, front PTO's, a factory cab, etc that weren't available in North America.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That video shows a Deere with a front 3 point hitch. I believe that the front 3 point is available on some U.S. tractors, New Holland for one. I just thought it would be nice to run a mower on the front of my 2210 for easier trimming under apple trees and overall a better cut, not to mention easier maintenance.

·
Registered
357 Posts
That video shows a Deere with a front 3 point hitch. I believe that the front 3 point is available on some U.S. tractors, New Holland for one. I just thought it would be nice to run a mower on the front of my 2210 for easier trimming under apple trees and overall a better cut, not to mention easier maintenance.
The front 3 point hitch runs the 59" snow blower, 66" snow blade or 60" broom for a 3000 series tractor also. Just wondering what the OP has for a tractor.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
You would think with all the lawyers we seem to have here in the US that would be pushing to have the implement out front so the operator can see what is going on.:unknown:

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts
They don't show the actual setup on the WWW site but RAD Technologies claims to have a front hitch system that allows you to run your existing MMM off of the front of your tractor. That might be worth chasing down and taking a look at.

Reactions: BigJim55 and mjncad

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Just took a quick look around the Rad site. Didn't see any mention of mounting a mower deck, just broom, snowblowers, etc. AND quoting, "RadTech Innovation serves all major original equipment manufacturers (OEMs)..."

All of the diagrams are grayed out and it's hard to see how their F.Mt thingie works...

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts
Just took a quick look around the Rad site. Didn't see any mention of mounting a mower deck, just broom, snowblowers, etc. AND quoting, "RadTech Innovation serves all major original equipment manufacturers (OEMs)..."

All of the diagrams are grayed out and it's hard to see how their F.Mt thingie works...

Not sure how you missed it. If you click the link I provided above it takes you directly to their "Finnish Mower" page which says:

"RADTech Innovation designed a quality front-mount finishing mower adaptor kit for mid-mounted mower decks – giving fast, clean, and convenient cuts around contoured edges. Used with our industry-leading front-mount attachment system, RADTech’s front-end finishing mowers are easy, fast, and safe to install and operate."

·
Registered
747 Posts
I've been contemplating a front 3pt system but not sure about the pto part of it. Plus it would have to not interfere with the loader.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Not sure how you missed it. If you click the link I provided above it takes you directly to their "Finnish Mower" page which says:

"RADTech Innovation designed a quality front-mount finishing mower adaptor kit for mid-mounted mower decks – giving fast, clean, and convenient cuts around contoured edges. Used with our industry-leading front-mount attachment system, RADTech’s front-end finishing mowers are easy, fast, and safe to install and operate.*"
*Where used?

I went back there and clicked on the link for Finish Mower. Yup, it sez they have one and below the readin' there's an area of very dark grey simulated blurry drawings of something my computer won't render. Looks like belts and pullies though I can see no detail. Not enough even to steal their idea!:laugh:

·
Registered
65 Posts
*Where used?

I went back there and clicked on the link for Finish Mower. Yup, it sez they have one and below the readin' there's an area of very dark grey simulated blurry drawings of something my computer won't render. Looks like belts and pullies though I can see no detail. Not enough even to steal their idea!:laugh:
The belts and pulley pic is actually a drawing of the top of a mower deck that resembles a Deere mid mount mower like a 62c deck or similar. There is no picture of the claimed mount.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts