Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the quick hitches REQUIRE the additional bushings at the lower and upper links? Can you operate without them? Why would they be designed to require something other than the standard size Cat pins?

I am probably missing something with the concept.

·
Premium Member
12,215 Posts
Yes, it is possible to operate without the bushings but you probably don't want to. Without the bushings your implement is going to rattle and wiggle around significantly in the hitch. The bushings allow for a more solid attachment. Ironically when I purchased my LandPride quick hitch it did not come with bushings and when I questioned LandPride they insisted they were optional - although admitting that I would be happier if I used bushings.

I have no idea why the quick hitch manufacturers settled on Cat-3 hooks on a Cat-1 hitch. It would seem to me that making the bottom and top hooks Cat-1 sized would have eliminated the whole mess.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,463 Posts
I am sure most of them are made to fit Cat III on down to Cat I with optional bushings.
I have seen quick hitches made for Cat I but can't remember where.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I am sure most of them are made to fit Cat III on down to Cat I with optional bushings.
I have seen quick hitches made for Cat I but can't remember where.
Unfortunately, no. The width and height of the hitch pin location changes when you go to cat II, and again for cat III.

I believe the Harbor Freight quick hitch is straight cat I, but I'm not positive.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,463 Posts
I have no idea why the quick hitch manufacturers settled on Cat-3 hooks on a Cat-1 hitch. It would seem to me that making the bottom and top hooks Cat-1 sized would have eliminated the whole mess.
I agree.....:lol:
Thanks 56:lol:

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
Unfortunately, no. The width and height of the hitch pin location changes when you go to cat II, and again for cat III.

I believe the Harbor Freight quick hitch is straight cat I, but I'm not positive.
SIL bought ours 9 or 10 yrs ago from Harbor Freight and I thought they were cat 1, if they were the upper and lower links need bushings.

I've used my BB without bushings and a the few times I've used my rear blade without the bushings. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The Harbor Freight unit is the one I am going to get. Guess I'll wait until I actually have it to see if bushings are required. It is a Cat I. TSC sells at Cat I and Cat II, they require bushings, if I am not mistaken.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,463 Posts
The Harbor Freight unit is the one I am going to get. Guess I'll wait until I actually have it to see if bushings are required. It is a Cat I. TSC sells at Cat I and Cat II, they require bushings, if I am not mistaken.
My daughters bought me a Harbor Freight unit and I needed the bushings. Bought the bushings from Northern Tool for less than half of what TSC wanted for them.

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
If I remember correctly, the original Quik Coupler for farm tractors required bushings for CAT II implements, that is to say that the opening in the coupler was CAT III size. I also think that the original bushings were held on the implement with roll pins.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I have the HF one and it requires the bushings, as others have stated.
I also have always wondered why they designed a hitch for a certain category of implement but made it so you needed bushings. Weird. I'm sure there is some 50-year-old standard somewhere that was the reason.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I have the HF one and it requires the bushings, as others have stated.
I also have always wondered why they designed a hitch for a certain category of implement but made it so you needed bushings. Weird. I'm sure there is some 50-year-old standard somewhere that was the reason.
The answer is very simple! They took a page out of John Deere's book. When you buy most ANYTHING from JD you need the ever present (and added cost) "Attaching Parts" and/or "Mounting Hardware". Hey, I'd do the same thing if I was a merchandise seller, "You'll need the pre-drilled washers with them bolts!":laugh:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I ordered pipe from online metals and cut my own bushings. They have the exact size for the top bushing, the bottom bushing they have the correct OD but the ID is slightly undersized. No too much trouble boring it out with a large drill bit...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed my Harbor Freight Quick Hitch last night. Kinda of a pain as a one man job. I'll need to come up with a plan for removing the 3-point for the backhoe. Maybe set the QH on blocks, we'll see.

I adjusted the upper hook at the lowest, full contact position. With no bushings on my boxblade, the unit hangs from the upper pin. The lower pins are about 1/2" above the seat of the lower hooks. Gave it a try, really had no issues. Didn't seem to move around excessively. Got the driveway regraded without a problem.

Switched over to the carryall in less than a minute. I did have to get off the tractor to release the lower pins...the stretch back to the levers is too much for my shoulders. Not an issue.

The carryall required me to step on the platform to get the pins under the latches. They were tight against the cams. We rode around the trails for a while and my wife said is was a little bouncier this time.

I think the addition of lower bushings on the boxblade will keep rotation about the upper pin down. I only graded the drive once each way, but it did seem to be wavy in the headlights this morning. May be the box is flopping up and down about the upper pin.

The carry all is another issue. I would have to lower the upper hook to get a bushed pin to settle in the hook seat.

I'll try the rotary cutter this weekend and see where it sets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts