Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a reason that the top hook is bolted onto a quick hitch? Why couldn't you use some sort of pin instead of having to get a wrench to adjust it? This seems to take the quick out of the quick hitch.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have never had to adjust mine so I don't see the issue. I am sure you could use pins, though JD probably saved a couple of cents using Bolts.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Ive never had to move my hook but bolt on hooks sells the correct size quick pins.

·
Super Moderator
6,999 Posts
Is there a reason that the top hook is bolted onto a quick hitch?
Of course there is a reason. There is a reason for everything. The top hook is bolted in because that's how they come from the factory! Hey, it's a lousy reason but a reason none the less.

Why couldn't you use some sort of pin instead of having to get a wrench to adjust it? This seems to take the quick out of the quick hitch.
There are aftermarket pins for replacing the bolts. There is no reason you can't use them. You just have to want to do so.

Reactions: SRG

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ive never had to move my hook but bolt on hooks sells the correct size quick pins.

View attachment 789080
I have to move mine up every time I use my tiller, and back again for everything else. The KBOH pins are an absolute must!

If you get some, I highly recommend you do yourself a favor and get a carbide 3/16 drill bit and a couple of 3/16 lynch pins. Drill out the 1/8 inch keeper pin holes and use the lynch pins - much less frustrating than the bow-tie pins!

EDIT: Here's a link. They are about half way down the page,

·
Registered
408 Posts
Of course there is a reason. There is a reason for everything. The top hook is bolted in because that's how they come from the factory! Hey, it's a lousy reason but a reason none the less.

There are aftermarket pins for replacing the bolts. There is no reason you can't use them. You just have to want to do so.
Jim's feeling pretty chipper this morning :p

·
Premium Member
17,271 Posts
Is there a reason that the top hook is bolted onto a quick hitch? Why couldn't you use some sort of pin instead of having to get a wrench to adjust it? This seems to take the quick out of the quick hitch.
Not all hooks are bolted on. The Land Pride QH15 for example has a pinned-on hook. The ironic thing is that folks with bolt-on hooks want a pinned-on hook and folks with pinned-on hooks want a bolt-on hook. I have a QH15 and got tired of the hairpins falling out and loosing pins so I switched to bolts.

I have 7 implements and never have to change the top-hook position.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
I have the old style with the fixed style hook. Just the way I wanted it. I make the implement fit the iMatch, not the other way around.

Dave

·
Registered
301 Posts
Top link pins work well. Just have to ream the holes out. I used two 3/4 inch pins. I think they are cat 1 pins if I'm not mistaken. I tried 5/8 hitch pins and they were too sloppy for my tastes. Hence the reaming of the holes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.