Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can someone clarify which brand-name is on the quick-coupler for the pressure and return hoses of a John Deere 46 backhoe? I've got a slow leak, like a few drops overnight... I was reading up the Pioneer brochure (which is what I believed JD's came with) and they sell a retrofit coupler because JD makes the male end slightly undersized(?)

But after physically checking the coupler again, I noted it was the Faster-branded female coupler that seems to have a very slow leak. This backhoe was purchased used already attached to the tractor, so it is possible a new coupler was attached (because JD in all it's wisdom will not let you buy just the O-ring for the QC - and a new QC from Deere is $58...)

Reactions: Firemark

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts
JD used various suppliers over the years to include Faster and Pioneer. I've never heard of any "retrofit" kit as you described but the coupler size is 3/8" ISO 7241 "B" with -08 ORB threads I think.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I may be way off base but we used to swap hydraulic ends around often on equipment because JD used different connections than IH. I'm wondering if what you was reading about regarding the retrofit had something to do with the different hydraulic sizes that manufacturers used back in the day.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Okay, so I went out today and got standard Pioneer connectors. I have the rear output connectors at the base of the ROPS, so I can't swap back and forth between the three point and the backhoe without changing fittings (for now), it's a peculiar female design fixed to the bracket. Also odd, the QC is 1/2" at the hose end (?) But the actual connection end is size-wise closer to a 3/8"(???) Anyways, I'll hunt down the o-ring kit from our local hydraulic shop. It has an atypical thin o-ring backed by a plastic ring. First time I've ever seen that (we use hydraulic tools at work).

<EDIT>

It might actually also be leaking at the hose crimp fitting. Well, this is annoying...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts