Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I pass this on, because I loved it, a quote from my DIL regarding her 4 year old Megan:
11000639_10153393313580535_7011105337593387974_n.jpg

Quote from an overtired Megan: "I don't wanna be big, I just want to be little. It's too hard being big."

How true!! :laugh:

Maybe this is a new thread, I'd like to hear for other GTTr's. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
When my younger brother was pretty small, he came to me with a question: "What are leprechauns?" I said, well, you know, those little things you make pie out of. He wandered off, repeating the phrase "leprechaun pie, leprechaun pie".

He came back a little later, and said "Don't you mean Aprichaun Pie?"

I laughed until my sides hurt.

·
Premium Member
8,791 Posts
:lol:I am about 8.5 years older than my brother. I have a sister who is two years older than I am.

When my brother was about 3, he had trouble saying his "T's" and pronounced everything that should have had the T sound with the F sound.

We were at a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant at a busy corner. Of course the restaurant the full. We were in a booth at the front along the windows which face the road and the intersection.

At that age, many kids speak LOUD and have to be reminded to use their inside voice. All of a sudden there were several trucks in a row turning the corner. My brother jumped up on the seat of the booth and proceeded to shout , "Mom, truck, truck real big trucks." But of course, with the pronunciation issue, what he actually said brought the entire restaurant to laughter. When anyone laughs when a little kid does something, they see it as an "Encore" opportunity not only continue the show, but increase the volume.

The more my poor mom tried to quiet my brother, the louder he got, which generated more laughter from many in the restaurant. She ended up taking him outside.......

------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------- ---------

Another time, when I was 19, I had a new 10th Anniversary Trans Am I had bought as my business began to really take off. It was one of the silver cars with the silver leather. At the time, it was a really sharp car. By today's standards, it's rather gawdy.

Anyways, we were driving through a real rough portion of Grand Rapids, taking a shortcut which we normally didn't take. It was a very urban route and there were people slinging dope out in the open and several prostitutes were very aggressive in trying to "generate business". We reached a stop light and this "lady of the evening" comes out and starts "Hey honey, how about a date?" She is standing right in front of the car tapping on the hood and then walks up and is knocking on the drivers window. Light turned green and I took off.

My brother is about 10.5 years old at the time. He turns to me and asks, "What did she want? Do you know her? Why was SHE asking YOU for a date." I just kept distracting him.

We get home and he immediately says to my mom "You should have seen these women who were really trying to get "Sulley"(me) to go on a date. But they weren't very pretty. They were scary looking. They were very sparkily and shiny looking."

My mom replied "Well these sound like "working girls", you know "ladies of the evening." She then turns to my brother and says "You do know what a lady of the evening is, don't you?" and my brother replied, after quite the pause, "A lady who works at night?" :laugh::lol:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
This is an exchange between my mom and my younger brother many years ago. IIRC he was about two or three and I was 6 or 7.

My younger brother: "Mom, i'm smarter than you"
Mom: " okay, then maybe you should take over with you and your siblings education."
My brother: " whats education?"

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
When my oldest daughter (now 25) was about 3 or 4 she said something about "I know what the F-word is". I was a little shocked so I asked her what the F-word was. She leaned over real close and whispered "fart". At that point I was relieved and started laughing. I did still have to tell her that wasn't a word that little girls should use. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
When my youngest brother first started talking if he was interrupted, he would loudly say: "I ARE TALKING!"

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Other, and oldest, GD, soon to be 18, could not pronounce "k's" when little, they came out as "t's" . . . so our kitties came out titties. :laugh: Always made us smile. :laugh: Sweetness!! :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
When our second grandson was born, our oldest grandson was just two. We were all at the hospital for the event, and when grandson number two was rolled out in the incubator thingy, my Son-in-law picked up #1 and carried him over to the incubator. He said "What do you think of your new baby brother?" He promptly doubled up his fist and said "Hit!".

My daughter wasn't too happy, but in retrospect it became funny with a little age.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Let's keep this thing rolling! I love stories about kids and there should be millions of them out there! Let me add another one:

Grandson #1 was a real cut up, and we were always laughing at him about something. I would tell Shan Jean, "He's something else!" a phrase that I used often. One afternoon when he was alone with us, I noticed him walking around the coffee table, repeating the phrase "Me somethin' else! Me somethin' else!". Cracked us up!

·
Premium Member
8,791 Posts
The next door neighbors grand daughter always refers to herself in the third person, which is known as "an Illeism". I have never seen anything quite like it in ongoing conversation. But granted, I am not around many little kids very often.

She walks around saying things like "That is Riley's room." "Riley really likes candy", "Riley is really mad."

I can't keep all of the little kids straight as they have 6 grand kids between 1 and 6 years old, including twins, from their 3 adult children, so I asked my neighbor "Who is she talking about?" My neighbor replied "Herself, that is how she always does it."

Glad I had an adult to explain it to me. :unknown:

·
Premium Member
8,791 Posts
My little buddy who lives next door will be 8 years old in October. His parents are really great people and they have a wonderful family. This couple has two sons, the one who is now 7 years old and they had another son who was born last November.

My little friend, who's first name is very different (It's an Indian name) but I will refer to him as "K", is extremely smart and he is constantly full of questions. He builds incredible Lego projects and actually won a contest this year in Chicago in the 12 year old age category because he was bored with the projects for the younger kids (like himself).

He has been extremely reluctant to ride his bike without training wheels and I helped him by raising the seat on his bike and making sure the pedal reach was right when he was riding his bike. It's a lot harder to remain balanced when the seat is too low, as it requires you to push downward at a strange angle to pedal verses when the seat is at the right height. But even with the equipment adjustments, he still wouldn't try without the training wheels.

His parents don't push him at all on sports or that type of activity. He is also very reluctant to participate in any sports as he fears injury. He is very concerned about physical injury from any hard contact. Well I showed him some of my scars and told him how having a scab is like a badge of honor when you are a young child. Still no progress.

The other day I was visiting the neighbors down the road when my friend "K" rode by in the vehicle with him mom on their way home. He saw me in the yard talking to these people and he waved on the way by. When I got home, "K" came over to see me and we were talking. I told him "You know the little girl down the road who is 5 years old? Well, she can ride her bike without training wheels and she is really good at it. She even has a scab on her elbow from scraping it. She didn't even cry when she scraped her arm."

I then told him "Wow, a girl who is 2 years younger rides her bike all of the time without any training wheels. She hasn't had training wheels in over a year since she was 4." I can see the gears turning in his head. Then I said, "If you want me to, I can go get her and have a 5 year old girl show you how to ride your bike without training wheels?"

I continued "Or, we can try taking your training wheels off and see what happens. I know you can ride without the wheels if you try." That pushed him past the hesitation. Guess who now rides his bike without any training wheels?

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Not a human child but still funny.

My wife and I had a green cheek conure. They are capable of learning a small vocabulary. Ours learned to say several phrases. He learned endearing phrases like, "love you daddy", "Good morning", "Hi", and could to the sexy whistle. Funniest thing he ever said was to my wife. We were sitting on the couch and eating sundaes. He was in her lap and trying to get a taste. My wife kept moving her bowl around to keep it away from him. He finally got fed up and planted his feet, puffed his chest and said, "Dam it!" I about died with laughter when my wife looked at me and said, "He learned it from you."

This is him, the cat and I watching NASCAR.
DSC03076.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
My little buddy who lives next door will be 8 years old in October. His parents are really great people and they have a wonderful family. This couple has two sons, the one who is now 7 years old and they had another son who was born last November.

My little friend, who's first name is very different (It's an Indian name) but I will refer to him as "K", is extremely smart and he is constantly full of questions. He builds incredible Lego projects and actually won a contest this year in Chicago in the 12 year old age category because he was bored with the projects for the younger kids (like himself).

He has been extremely reluctant to ride his bike without training wheels and I helped him by raising the seat on his bike and making sure the pedal reach was right when he was riding his bike. It's a lot harder to remain balanced when the seat is too low, as it requires you to push downward at a strange angle to pedal verses when the seat is at the right height. But even with the equipment adjustments, he still wouldn't try without the training wheels.

His parents don't push him at all on sports or that type of activity. He is also very reluctant to participate in any sports as he fears injury. He is very concerned about physical injury from any hard contact. Well I showed him some of my scars and told him how having a scab is like a badge of honor when you are a young child. Still no progress.

The other day I was visiting the neighbors down the road when my friend "K" rode by in the vehicle with him mom on their way home. He saw me in the yard talking to these people and he waved on the way by. When I got home, "K" came over to see me and we were talking. I told him "You know the little girl down the road who is 5 years old? Well, she can ride her bike without training wheels and she is really good at it. She even has a scab on her elbow from scraping it. She didn't even cry when she scraped her arm."

I then told him "Wow, a girl who is 2 years younger rides her bike all of the time without any training wheels. She hasn't had training wheels in over a year since she was 4." I can see the gears turning in his head. Then I said, "If you want me to, I can go get her and have a 5 year old girl show you how to ride your bike without training wheels?"

I continued "Or, we can try taking your training wheels off and see what happens. I know you can ride without the wheels if you try." That pushed him past the hesitation. Guess who now rides his bike without any training wheels?
My girls are four years apart in age. It took the youngest mastering her bike to spur the older one to try no training wheels on hers. She spent all day in the front yard (claimed grass was softer) learning to ride. By the end of the day she could do it, but it took the possibility of little sister out doing her to motivate her to try and succeed.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
We may have "over parented" our oldest daughter just a bit, but that's what young inexperienced kids often do. She was a cute little blonde girly girl and we always took her everywhere we went...and consequently, one of us was holding her almost all of the time. When my wife or I got tired, we would say to the other one "Here, hold her". It didn't take long for her to catch on; and she got where when she wanted to be held, she would walk up to me, hold her little arms up, open and close her little hands and say "hoder, daddy hoder". Who could resist? She is now fifty two years old, and loves her daddy. :)

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,249 Posts
Years ago, a few days before Christmas, we had arrived home from a family gathering. My wife, my son(5 years old at the time. he's now 30) and myself were walking up to our back door. There was a decorative "NOEL" sign hung on the door. As we approached the door, my wife says to me, "Noel", as she looks at the sign. Our son ask us, "There ain't no L​"? We both had a good laugh.

·
Registered
567 Posts
A wise man once told me (or maybe it was some tripe that I read on the internet) that the three things that never lie are: (1) Drunks, (2) small children, and (3) yoga pants.

My late father's family was a mixture of folks from Kentucky and Arkansas. In summer 1987, my wife (then fiance') and I attended a family reunion in Northern Arkansas. My first cousin Larry's son, Eli, was about eight years old and was full of himself. Among several memorable Eli quotes was the one where he left the house, saw a pair of unattended shoes, and loudly asked: "Whose Are 'Em?" My Dad and Uncle nearly peed themselves laughing, and they both took this quote to their graves.

I haven't been to Arkansas since and I haven't seen Eli since, but I have heard rumors that he has reproduced

That trip was the first time that I ever saw ticks drop from swaying pine trees and was also my first experience with chiggers.

Brian

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Another tale on my oldest daughter. This happened when she was about four years old. The house we lived in at the time had a weeping willow in the back yard, and it occasionally dropped some of those long, curved limbs. I was sitting in the living room; I heard her come in the back door, I looked at her and she came up carrying one of these limbs as if it were a switch. She looked at me and said "Here, Daddy, here's you a whipper!". I took it, looked at it, looked at her, and suddenly her expression changed...and she very hurriedly said "But not for me!"

It's still as funny today as it was 50 years ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts