Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With that being said I'm withdrawing my troll comment. :flag_of_truce:

If you happen to get some time I'm sure lots of us would LOVE to see the turbine Jets you fly. I'm a huge RC nut, but my ham fists and wife keep me from buying anything nearly as cool as a turbine. I've recently been flying lots of Ultra Micro Warbirds. Something about an F4U, P-51, and a P-40 swooping around my backyard I can't get enough of. :good2:

Don't get me started on Warbirds lol. i build and fly mostly giant scale WWII iron. i have ready for paint a 85" corsair with a 5.5 hp. engine ,retractable gear etc. I'n my inventory i have a F-18 hornet " over 8" long" and my old trusty AT-6 . As sort of a comparison to where things are going these days ... A lot of ARF " almost ready to fly" jets coming in from overseas are getting worst. not that china makes anything good in the first place. i just bought a ARF jet and it was so bad i had to rip the guts out of it and redo the whole thing. But that's a whole other story. Anyways that's what i see when i see the new stuff. Back to warbirds. i did a cool thing one time. i was a Contest director for the Glenn Curtiss Model meet . In case you didn't know... Glenn was a pioneer in aviation . Well i did a few passes over his resting site in hammondsport,ny with my P-40 as his family cemetery was about 250 years from the end of the runway . really cool to be able to do a tribute flight to him. sorry i got off topic.. :yahoo: ziroli p-40.jpg teardown p-40.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,387 Posts
Don't get me started on Warbirds lol. i build and fly mostly giant scale WWII iron. i have ready for paint a 85" corsair with a 5.5 hp. engine ,retractable gear etc. I'n my inventory i have a F-18 hornet " over 8" long" and my old trusty AT-6 . As sort of a comparison to where things are going these days ... A lot of ARF " almost ready to fly" jets coming in from overseas are getting worst. not that china makes anything good in the first place. i just bought a ARF jet and it was so bad i had to rip the guts out of it and redo the whole thing. But that's a whole other story. Anyways that's what i see when i see the new stuff. Back to warbirds. i did a cool thing one time. i was a Contest director for the Glenn Curtiss Model meet . In case you didn't know... Glenn was a pioneer in aviation . Well i did a few passes over his resting site in hammondsport,ny with my P-40 as his family cemetery was about 250 years from the end of the runway . really cool to be able to do a tribute flight to him. sorry i got off topic.. :yahoo: View attachment 28554 View attachment 28555
Cool stuff, thanks! You should seriously think about starting and new thread with this stuff. :good2:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Yes, Glen Curtiss was a pioneer. The Curtiss Jenny still flies today!

And I too would love to see a thread with pics of your TC birds, and stories to go with them!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Glen Curtiss was a pioneer. The Curtiss Jenny still flies today!

And I too would love to see a thread with pics of your TC birds, and stories to go with them!!
i wouldn't mind doing a thread for you guys but it is off topic and i'd have to get the ok before i did something like that. R/C is the best. you more than welcome to check out a video i did of " Jets over Kentucky" it's a one hour video shot at the best jet event in the east ! it's all R/C turbine jets . Video got over 263,000 views . Be sure to watch in HD !! enjoy...

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,387 Posts
Nice video warbird. I can't help but think this has got to be an expensive hobby. But then again isn't everything.

·
Administrator
20,664 Posts
No worries warbird_1, I moved your posts and created a new thread for you. Now you can share to your hearts content!:drinks:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,387 Posts
No worries warbird_1, I moved your posts and created a new thread for you. Now you can share to your hearts content!:drinks:
Good idea! :bye2:

·
Super Moderator
5,534 Posts
Awesome video!!:good2:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I belong to an organization called AMA " Academy of Model Aeronautics" . they set the rules and parameters for AMA sanctioned events. They put a speed limit on Turbine jets due to the higher speeds guys were going. typically your not allowed to go over 200 MPH's at sanctioned event though of shore in europe " i Believe one guy set a record of about 375 MPH . you think 200 is smokin !! if you go to 36:41 you'll catch me taking off with my boomerang intro . it's a sport jet with a 22 LBS. thrust turbine making 176 MPH on a flat run and about 200 in a power dive. 320817_2293404341838_1450922082_2463310_348153841_n.jpg 2013rally-ds-0604.jpg DSC02172.JPG

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,387 Posts
warbird, that stuff is insane.
I really need to ask, ever crash one? Is the whole thing basically toast after a crash?

·
8,558 Posts
A friend of mine not only flies for his paycheck, but also flies RC. Here is his website. You may know him, Warbird. I've known him for several years, and know his mom and dad and grandparents on his mom's side. All are into flying, in some way or another.

I think Michael has a lot on Youtube, as well.

Neffwaffe | Live The Neffwaffe Lifestyle

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts
I was involved in RC for a long time years ago, mostly with Helicopters, and limited fixed wing. I was the president of our local club for many years, and hosted about 10 FunFly's in that time as well as travel to several out-of-state events, including the IRCHA Jamboree at the AMA headquarters in Muncie many times. I also used to work at a local hobby shop part time (will work for fuel and parts right?) and have met many famous (in the RC industry anyway) people along the way...Including Bob Violet, a name I'm sure you know well since your into turbine's.

I pretty much gave up flying about 12 years ago to build my house, and just never found the time or money to get back into it. Most if not all of the pics I have are on film, they where before the digital camera days.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Quite a few years ago, I built my first RC plane from a kit. I was new to a big city and building a plane kit helped me take up my spare time, so my Kadet LT-40 was born from a box of sticks and a lot of glue.

Hi-118-1899_CRW.jpg

The aftermath of covering my new bird.

Hi-119-1915_CRW.jpg

Which gave me this.

Hi-119-1917_CRW.jpg

Ready to go flying, I'm quite proud of my build.

Hi-119-1941_CRW.jpg

Here we are at the club. Buddy boxed up and ready to learn to fly.

Hi-119-1947_CRW.jpg

I was doing great according to my trainer. I landed my beloved Kadet on my 3rd training flight all by myself. On my 4th training flight on my first day of flying RC planes ever, I was flying a rectangular pattern around the field. Still doing awesome, according to my trainer. Then on my last pass across the back of the field, tragedy.

Hi-119-1967_CRW.jpg

I had a mid air collision and my trusty, quite well flying ship was yet again. A box of sticks... :(

I never flew planes again.

·
8,558 Posts
That just hurts, Bubber! :empathy3: :cray:

·
Super Moderator
5,534 Posts
Thank GOD i have never lost a jet . sometimes they crash and burn and sometimes they just crash .
Just the price of a JetCat lends me to believe you guys (jet jockeys:)) have one heck of an investment flying around up there!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts