Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My and my son each have a nitro Revo we bash around. Love taking them to the BMX track and really getting some air. We went to the LHS the other night and they had a Losi 5ive-T that has me drooling.

I've had several r/c trucks over the years but the closest I've had to the 5 is a HPI Baja 5b that I bought off a pawn shop for pennies on the dollar to flip. I kept it less than a week but it was a blast getting it straightened out. I don't really expect the 5 and Baja to be too similar, just throwing it out there.

So, anyone here have experience with the 5ive? They seem to get good reviews but I trust you all more than the other forums.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Back in the day I ran Hornets and Grasshoppers (that's going back 20+ years though)

They sure were fun, although nothing near as good as the mini-trophy trucks being built today.

I've looked at them on/off, but I always seem to catch the evil-eye from the finance committee when I mention another hobby:lol:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
WOW! That thing is a monster. If your son is under 5 years old you can just have him ride it. :laugh:

My one nephew and I have had several Losi vehicles, but nothing like this. The closest I have is an Aftershock, which is only half the size of the 5ive-T.

A guy had one of those big Bajas at the local shop track a few years ago. It was neat, but you really need a BMX track or full-size go-cart track to run it.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
My brother and I used to race RC10-GT's (gas powered). We used to have a blast running those around. The key always was having a good track or spot to run them. There was a place in Irving TX called Wild Bills that had a track and a shop. It was great...

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I had an RC10GT when I was younger. If fact I still have it in a box somewhere. I would love to get it running again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
719 Posts
My son (and I) have a Traxxas Stampede VXL. Out of the box, this thing is supposed to do 50 MPH with the NiMH battery. The car officially his, but the LiPO battery that makes it run well over 60 MPH is my addition. Here are a few pictures.

IMG_7913.jpg
IMG_7923.jpg
IMG_8017.jpg
IMG_8019.jpg

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My RC-10T (about 1991 vintage) is still in my workshop. That was a fun machine when they first came out. I really should get it running again (just needs a motor and ESC).

ljn,

My kids each have one of the brushless 4x4 Stampedes and I have one of the brushless 4x4 Slashes. Those babies FLY with LiPos!!! What amazes me is the abuse my kids can give them with very little parts breakage or maintenance.

I was going to do the brushless conversion for my Aftershock, but by the time I bought the conversion parts and all the LiPo batteries I'd need (four of them), I'd be looking at something like $500+. I'll just burn through the nitro fuel I have for that price.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Andy,
As a kid, I had a Tamiya Fox. Unfortunately I did not hang onto any of my stuff. Then again, between the brushless motors, the LiPo batteries, and the digital radios why would I want any of my old stuff? The advancements in technology have definitely been applied to these cars. I will say, though, with the LiPo battery, we do break stuff. Nothing expensive. Just ruins a fun day when you break a half-shaft.

Lee

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Lee,

Get the MIP CVD kits. The half-shafts were the only thing we'd break (well, unless my son hit a tree or something). I have never broken a MIP CVD. I have almost all stock parts except for the CVDs.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Lee,

Get the MIP CVD kits. The half-shafts were the only thing we'd break (well, unless my son hit a tree or something). I have never broken a MIP CVD. I have almost all stock parts except for the CVDs.
Did some quick searches and these things look like they go for around $55 per pair. Does that sound about right? I thought about upgrading the axles but worried about what the next weak point would be. It sounds like you have had good luck. Now I need to decide if it is worth $110 to avoid a few breakdowns.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
What would happen to our half shafts was the steel pins would start wearing the plastic at the u-joints from punching the throttle and slamming in reverse and such. Then the plastic ears would break off the u-joints. Also, the plastic sliders would start twisting and then they couldn't slide or would break. Once we put the CVDs in all of that went away, and nothing else was breaking (no diffs or anything).

What I did was buy one set of the CVDs, and used the remaining stock parts to fix the other trucks. Then I bought a spare set of CVDs, and the next time I broke a stock axle I just put the CVDs in and saved the good parts. I think I have three pairs total installed now (out of six pairs - three fronts and three rears on three trucks), and I have one spare pair. Yeah, you can buy probably three sets of stock axles for the price, but it really sucks to head out for a bash session and after 5 minutes one person has to sit there watching the other two because an axle broke. Even if you have spare plastic parts, you still have to stop to put them in. Now we never worry about axles.

I should probably start a Traxxas thread because there are a few other things I do to make things go smoother.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a Traxxas 4x4 VXL slash, my son has a 2wd slash, and my daughter has a traxxas monster truck. My son and I also have Axial rock crawlers. Lots of fun when we get tie to use them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts