Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have an 5105 with the industrial tires r4 maybe the front are technically I3 not sure and a 5410 with the turf tires which may or may not technically be r3. The tractor manuals basically call for the same wheel and tire options just the larger one can go a bit bigger so the list is a bit longer. You can see them if you wander into my profile and album if you think my experience might be helpful.

The rear load rating is really basically the same, the load rating for the turf tires on the front is missing.

Just being in four wheel drive and making a hard turn really distorts the sideall of the front, more so if a slope is involved. If they were to be used with a loader one would give up a lot of capacity for the lack of ground impact. Even the r4/I3 ones get quite vague steering with loads that need more than a few hundred pounds on the back to keep those wheels on the ground.

When the turf tires slip they make a harmonic vibration. It wasn't until I got this with the brakes that I was sure it wasn't a clutch issue. So when mowing and changing direction you either won't snap your neck so bad or have to be kind of gentle or will get that vibration.

Once the turf tires slip, you are basically done. Mowing up a hill in two wheel drive and loosing traction going to four wheel dirve doesn't always work, certianly not like the other tractor.

Using the r4 in two wheel drive lessens the impact but I will disagree with another post about the ground impact of them (air only) The turf tires just don't leave tire marks that you can see any tread when the other ones leave say half inch dents.

I'll add, of course enough passes especially involving turning will have ground impact more than one straight pass. Unless you can get some down force with the implement whether on the front or the back the amount of push or pull might not be all that impressive. I don't claim to be an experienced operator and am set up to be as hard to flip over as possible hence no loader however the idea is to use the curl of the bucket. Perhaps using the backhoe and making narrow piles to scoop up if you havn't already adopted that technique.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.