Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight I was in the garage and noticed the outside third of my RF tire with visible wear. I only have 65 hours, matter of fact it's the only place on all four tires that the little rubber knubs are worn off.
My tires are at the book setting (22/fr 20/rr) and check very regularly.
The only theory I can come up with is I have 9/10ths of a mile road travel to the horse barn and the shoulder of our road is a slight drop off the pavement but not wide enough for the whole tractor. So I'm beginning to wonder if the RF is taking a lot of the load being dropped off the pavement. Any other theories out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I have relatively even outside edge wear on my fronts. I think the only real adjustment may be toe, so if that was off both tire would still wear when directed in a straight line. It just might be the conditions you are talking about that are responsible.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have relatively even outside edge wear on my fronts. I think the only real adjustment may be toe, so if that was off both tire would still wear when directed in a straight line. It just might be the conditions you are talking about that are responsible.:dunno:
Okay, haven't really thought about toe adjustment.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
These tractors, I believe, are actually set up with a slight toe-in on the front, I would assume to assist with steering effort? :dunno:

Also, look at the camber, front tires have a lot of (negative?) camber.

That will definitely make your outside edge wear on blacktop.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My tires are also showing wear on the outside edge. I am on asphalt more than I want to be so I am thinking that is what is causing them to wear out like they are.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My tires are also showing wear on the outside edge. I am on asphalt more than I want to be so I am thinking that is what is causing them to wear out like they are.
I know what you mean, I know they're not meant for road travel, but what is strange to me is that it's only the right front.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I would check the toe and try to get it as straight as possible, that would probably help some with a minimal effect on how it steers, I mean these ain't Corvettes that could lose control at high speed. :lol:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I know what you mean, I know they're not meant for road travel, but what is strange to me is that it's only the right front.

I know this might sound crazy but do you turn more in one direction than the other? I know I back up more in one direction than the other cuz it's easier for me to steer and look back in that direction.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would check the toe and try to get it as straight as possible, that would probably help some with a minimal effect on how it steers, I mean these ain't Corvettes that could lose control at high speed. :lol:
Lol, I appreciate it, I just didn't think of toe and camber for some reason. But comparing to big trucks which I do know my guess is it's toed in on that wheel.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know this might sound crazy but do you turn more in one direction than the other? I know I back up more in one direction than the other cuz it's easier for me to steer and look back in that direction.
Well now you're gonna make think too much but my answer would be 50/50 if I took a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
The way the toe is set on these would not cause wear on one tire only. It is essentially even. The balance of the steering geometry is built into the axle assembly and probably not adjustable.
Most obstacle mowing would likely have you turning left getting the edge of your mowing deck as close as you could to, say a tree or shrub. This kind of thing probably has me turning left more frequently than right.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
The way the toe is set on these would not cause wear on one tire only. It is essentially even. The balance of the steering geometry is built into the axle assembly and probably not adjustable.
Most obstacle mowing would likely have you turning left getting the edge of your mowing deck as close as you could to, say a tree or shrub. This kind of thing probably has me turning left more frequently than right.

i have to agree about turning to the left all the time mowing. i know i'm guilty of that 100%. as afar as ur tire wear, eh-could be the right tire is just icky, it's telling u get on the good part of the road.:lol:
IDK-but maybe that tire just has a bad spot of rubber:dunno:

my first set of front tires lasted me up to around 800 hrs, replaced both front tires and new rims-as they was bent. got the new ones-and took them to local tire shop to get mounted, as i was asking the one fella to be extra care full, another guy came and took the other rim and tire, first thing he did before i could ask him to be extra careful, is he clamped the rim in real tight, well that rim is now bent too.:banghead:
i was gonna find the better of 2 of my rims, but somehow i managed to lose them:nunu:don't know how-i lost 2 rims, and 2 tires:unknown: i think my youngest boy took the rims to the junkyard with some of his stuff for this:gizmo:and i think he figured the front tires was junk too, so he burned them for me:lol: check ur toe in-or show it to ur dealer if ur under warranty, he may give u a new tire:dunno:never know.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Just face the fact that your just hard on equipment.:lol:

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I have an update.
The service manager just called and has a tech coming to my house next Thursday to take pictures and measure a few things. However, these axles on the 1 series are not adjustable so he said more than likely it is something out wack from assembly.
So therefore, he said I am probably looking at a new front axle and tire:good2:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
So I have an update.
The service manager just called and has a tech coming to my house next Thursday to take pictures and measure a few things. However, these axles on the 1 series are not adjustable so he said more than likely it is something out wack from assembly.
So therefore, he said I am probably looking at a new front axle and tire:good2:
Probably the best thing to do. You got me curious so I went out and checked mine. First some history on my use. My tractor is in 4WD about 85% of the time, no matter what I'm doing. All my tires are filled, all 4. I run the air in them at around 18 lbs. on all 4 tires, no matter what. I mow around 6 to 800 feet of road way. I mow both sides so double that. When mowing that I have the left side off the asphalt and the right side on it. After that is mowed I do what I call mowing the road. I blow all the grass/weeds on the road, off the road using the mower deck. I have at this time 821 hours on my tractor. So I went out and took a pic of my left front tire and I have to say that the right front tire is the same as the left is in the wear department. Here is what it looks like looking from the top down...

IMG_0751.jpg

As you can see there isn't any bad wear going on with my tires. Both front tires look the same.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Probably the best thing to do. You got me curious so I went out and checked mine. First some history on my use. My tractor is in 4WD about 85% of the time, no matter what I'm doing. All my tires are filled, all 4. I run the air in them at around 18 lbs. on all 4 tires, no matter what. I mow around 6 to 800 feet of road way. I mow both sides so double that. When mowing that I have the left side off the asphalt and the right side on it. After that is mowed I do what I call mowing the road. I blow all the grass/weeds on the road, off the road using the mower deck. I have at this time 821 hours on my tractor. So I went out and took a pic of my left front tire and I have to say that the right front tire is the same as the left is in the wear department. Here is what it looks like looking from the top down...

View attachment 394321

As you can see there isn't any bad wear going on with my tires. Both front tires look the same.
I like that, this is helpful, mine isn't that bad of course. But compared to the rest of the tire, and the other three it is noticeably worse. The pictures they want to take are to send to JD for the warranty but he did say it should not be a problem.
Just curious, yours is an older a little older, does your front end have any adjustments? Like on the newer models there is also no grease fittings on the tie rod ends.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Sounds like your dealer is really stepping up Ren! That axle can't be cheap. It will be most interesting to hear what the tech thinks about the wear and if he judges it as extraordinary or typical.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like your dealer is really stepping up Ren! That axle can't be cheap. It will be most interesting to hear what the tech thinks about the wear and if he judges it as extraordinary or typical.
I know what you mean, I really believe it's all a matter of his opinion as to whether it's "excessive" or not. And honestly I'd take an "expert" opinion because like I said, it could also be an over caution on my part.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I know what you mean, I really believe it's all a matter of his opinion as to whether it's "excessive" or not. And honestly I'd take an "expert" opinion because like I said, it could also be an over caution on my part.

Or... the human eye is extremely sensitive. And your perception just may have identified a manufacturing defect based on slight evidence.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts