Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well they are orange tractors but great info nonetheless.... I put this in subcompact as that's what they are comparing but it should hold true.. if this was posted already I apologise I couldn't find it in searching.
https://youtu.be/c9EVpXjzHsY

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Good video, Ive not seen it before.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Well they are orange tractors but great info nonetheless.... I put this in subcompact as that's what they are comparing but it should hold true.. if this was posted already I apologise I couldn't find it in searching.
https://youtu.be/c9EVpXjzHsY
Yep, R4s in dirt. They need to do the test in snow.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Would be also interesting to see how the new R3 Radials would do.

And, what about grooved R-4's? :good2:

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
The results actually surprised me. I figured the turfs would do better on that type of surface.
Same here .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
I wished he had engaged the Dif lock the same on both attempts. Once the turf tires broke loose, he didn't gain any more because the ground was slippery from spinning. I can't help but wonder what the result would be if he engaged it immediately in low range like the R4's

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I wished he had engaged the Dif lock the same on both attempts. Once the turf tires broke loose, he didn't gain any more because the ground was slippery from spinning. I can't help but wonder what the result would be if he engaged it immediately in low range like the R4's
CT I doubt there would be any difference, as all 4 spun at the same time.with zero increase. Should Ave seen a slight increase, as 3 tires had full traction says to me the R4s won the match. Granted, scientific method indicates they should have done all the same, but my guess is there was a dress rehearsal and he knew the outcome anyway.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have R4 tires currently on my 1023e but have had turf tires and ag tires on all my other tractors and heavier equipment. Although they were on different machines I really cant tell a huge difference between the R3's and turf tires. The tires on the 1 series are pretty wide and have a large contact surface area for the tractors weight. The ag tires I have on some of my tractors have a ton more grip but tear up my yard so bad that I don't like them on anything I do yard work with. It might just be in my head but I think the R3's might be better than the turf's in the woods where its a little muddy and the turf tires do better in the dry flat ground. In the snow I cant really tell as I am always trying to get as much weight on the tires with any type tread as we get a lot of ice where I live. I think weight is the biggest difference for me as my little 1023e can spin the tires in low range on any surface if not weighted properly.

I am not really that surprised by the results in the video since it was not very scientific. I would have liked to see him take all the weight off the tractor and do multiple runs on different surfaces as each tread type is designed for different terrain. Give a really full picture.

On a side note, We have a challenger tractor on the farm with tracks and I am always amazed how much grip that thing has. Imagine a John Deere compact tractor with tracks. Totally impractical but it would be kinda neat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts