Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Got my first tractor in June and loved using it all summer.

Been thinking I need a rear blade but then I thought why not a rake and then I heard about box blade..GURRRRRRRR!

This form has been so helpful I thought I would ask your advice.

I have about 2 ac and will be leveling some of next summer so that is why I thought about the rake or blade. Not sure what the advantages are for one or the other and I don't know anything about a box blade.

If you have time comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had the same dilemma but the more I research I did the more I leaned towards a box blade. Actually picking up my box blade BB5048L tomorrow. For me this will be the best tool to work and level my areas.

I am no expert but I would think this would be the best for you also. The rake from what I have read is good for finish but you can’t dig in with scarifiers like a box blade and level high spots. And a box blade does better at spreading material level holding it in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: USAFRet

·
Registered
141 Posts
A rake won't get you anywhere when it comes to leveling. Only if the soils is really worked up would a rake have much impact. A box blade is great tool - one of which main jobs is leveling. There are a ton of great videos on youtube showing how handy a box blade can be. EverythingAttachments has one of my favorites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxuEDGSGOZA&t=416s

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
700 Posts
My primary use for my incoming box blade is going to be scraping back snow from tight areas.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I like spending other peoples money and may have some people disagree with me but I have found that just one tool will not get the job done. I love my box blade, breaks up hard ground, moves a lot of material, removes pothole from the driveway, does the first step of landscaping. I have a landscape rake went to use it on my driveway. I hated it why did I spend my money on it, then I did some research on this site you can get a wheel kit for it great spend some more of my money. I got the kit and man I love this tool it works great for finish landscaping in the driveway or backyard. If I use it at an angle it will get it very level and not take all day. I know you like pictures so here are some with removing potholes in the driveway and adding gravel and making a smooth driveway.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
What tractor do you have? Whichever route you decide, make sure not to get more tool than your tractor can manage. I have a 1025r and I purchased a 54” boxblade from everythingattachments and I feel that Im right at the limit of what my 1025r wants to handle. It does a good job and covers my wheel tracks but when the box gets full it makes the 1025r grunt a little.

'17 John Deere 1025R FEL
'16 Cub Cadet Tank SZ 54" cut
(3) 80 Dump Cart
18 Dump Cart

·
Registered
449 Posts
Keep in mind the primary purpose of each of the attachments...

Rear Blade--Moving and smoothing loose material, may be also used for light scraping and leveling.
Box Blade--More aggressive moving and smoothing of ground, use of scarifer teeth allow it to dig into the ground and loosen compacted soil
Rake--Gathering and removal of larger objects (twigs, branches, stones).

So, technically, you could need all three. Clean the area with the rake, then do initial grading with the Box Blade, use rake again to clean area, then final grade with rear blade.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Back Blade

My primary use for my incoming box blade is going to be scraping back snow from tight areas.
For that use with snow, I'd go with a back blade. A box blade will certainly work and if that's what you like that's fine. However a back blade that can be swung is very handy in snow. Plow going forward, push going backwards and scrape out of tight areas with one implement. A box blade might get an inch or two closer to a wall, depending on how the back blade is made but otherwise, I'd go with the back blade. (I'm not anti box blade, I have both.)

Treefarmer

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
If I'm landscaping and plan on seeding it when done, I first go through the area with the tiller to break everything up and the soil becomes quite loose. This makes it very easy to move around and allows the seed to easily root. Next, I use the land rake to even and shape the loose soil. Gauge wheels are a must. Lastly, it is fine tuning with the garden rake before spreading seed.

A tiller is a must have for me. You can tie an old pallet on behind the tractor/4-wheeler and drag it around to rough in the level if you can't afford a land scape rake. You'll just have more hand raking.

An old metal box spring works great, but they're hard to find now days.

Reactions: USAFRet
1 - 12 of 12 Posts