Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put some racks on my 2011 F150 Crew Cab to carry long ladders, or a canoe.

I see a lot of different things when googled, but thought my trusty tractor buds would offer best guidance

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I want to put some racks on my 2011 F150 Crew Cab to carry long ladders, or a canoe.

I see a lot of different things when googled, but thought my trusty tractor buds would offer best guidance
Crickets...

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
OK. I'll reply. I bought these to haul a canoe when we go camping and such. They're lightweight and adjustable to fit any truck bed. They have a 500 lbs. capacity. Adjustable from 52" to 71" bed width. I didn't bolt them to the bad rail. I use Camper Top hold-down clamps whenever I install them. They take-down easily with a Allen Wrench. I carry them in my truck toolbox. If I happen to need them to haul a lengthy item, I just set them up. Only take a few minutes. When not needed, I take them apart and store them back in the toolbox.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. I'll reply. I bought these to haul a canoe when we go camping and such. They're lightweight and adjustable to fit any truck bed. They have a 500 lbs. capacity. Adjustable from 52" to 71" bed width. I didn't bolt them to the bad rail. I use Camper Top hold-down clamps whenever I install them. They take-down easily with a Allen Wrench. I carry them in my truck toolbox. If I happen to need them to haul a lengthy item, I just set them up. Only take a few minutes. When not needed, I take them apart and store them back in the toolbox.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for that input. I was looking at those and wondering about how well they attach to the side rail. They seem to have great reviews but more than a few noted using clamps. I want to use them mainly for a canoe as well. A little paranoid about something being bolted down well enough to keep my wenonah from flying away. They are inexpensive, so I guess I will just buy some and see.

Ford puts the old traditional square holes in the rails but then covers them with plastic rail cover. I dont get it. I have considered cutting the holes in the plastic and mounting square iron posts but I may be over thinking it.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Thanks for that input. I was looking at those and wondering about how well they attach to the side rail. They seem to have great reviews but more than a few noted using clamps. I want to use them mainly for a canoe as well. A little paranoid about something being bolted down well enough to keep my wenonah from flying away. They are inexpensive, so I guess I will just buy some and see.Ford puts the old traditional square holes in the rails but then covers them with plastic rail cover. I dont get it. I have considered cutting the holes in the plastic and mounting square iron posts but I may be overthinking it.
DeereWimberley, When I haul my canoe, or anything else, I run the tie-down straps to the lower corner bed tie-dow2n loops. My truck has metal loops in all four corners, as most trucks do. This secures the load and the racks at the same time, while still using the camper-top clamps...Note: The example pic below is not my truck...........................................................................................................................................

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked into F150 racks and found a review on amazon talking about home depot selling the tracrac for $100 cheaper than anyone else ($290 versus $390). Sure enough they have them in stock at most stores ready for pickup.

$290
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TracRac-TracOne-800-lb-Capacity-Universal-Truck-Rack-27000-01/203346592

$390
https://www.etrailer.com/Ladder-Racks/TracRac/TA27000-01.html
Those are nice. Not at a home depot near me but they have free delivery. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DeereWimberley, When I haul my canoe, or anything else, I run the tie-down straps to the lower corner bed tie-dow2n loops. My truck has metal loops in all four corners, as most trucks do. This secures the load and the racks at the same time, while still using the camper-top clamps...Note: The example pic below is not my truck...........................................................................................................................................
Duh, I should have thought of that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts