Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From day one the cap on my radiator overflow tank has leaked from coolant splashing while the tractor is being used. Replaced the cap and didn't fix it so yesterday the Tech came to the house and replaced the tank. One thing he did is remove the rubber seal in the cap and sanded down any plastic mold leftovers so the bottom of the cap was smooth. He then reinserted the rubber seal, put coolant in the tank, held it upside down and nothing leaked so it appears were good.

He mentioned that this process is one thing that appears to have worked many times.

I know this is an ongoing problem with many tractors so I wanted to post this.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Thanks for posting that . I'm sure many of us have the same issue , I know mine does . I'm going to give the fix a try this weekend on my cap . Did the tech sand on the very bottom of the cap , or was it inside where the seal is supposed to seat . :unknown:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting that . I'm sure many of us have the same issue , I know mine does . I'm going to give the fix a try this weekend on my cap . Did the tech sand on the very bottom of the cap , or was it inside where the seal is supposed to seat . :unknown:
He sanded the bottom where there were plastic bits left over from the mold (after the rubber seal was removed) . Made sure it was smooth.

Not the edges

Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
This has been an issue with the 102x series tractors. I did the sanding thing , had JD replace the plastic overflow tank , no help. I cut a piece of PVC pipe the height of the tank I think I used 1 1/4" diameter just so it fit in the neck of the tank , drilled a couple holes in the side of the PVC pipe. Put the PVC pipe in the tank it needs to be fairly tight so the PVC pipe stays upright . NO more leak problems .

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This has been an issue with the 102x series tractors. I did the sanding thing , had JD replace the plastic overflow tank , no help. I cut a piece of PVC pipe the height of the tank I think I used 1 1/4" diameter just so it fit in the neck of the tank , drilled a couple holes in the side of the PVC pipe. Put the PVC pipe in the tank it needs to be fairly tight so the PVC pipe stays upright . NO more leak problems .

Clearly JD knows about this. It's amazing to me that it isn't fixed. This is not brain surgery. It speaks to the sense of urgency in their culture, or lack thereof.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Clearly JD knows about this. It's amazing to me that it isn't fixed. This is not brain surgery. It speaks to the sense of urgency in their culture, or lack thereof.
In JD's defense, I don't think it's so much a lack of sense of urgency as it is lack of knowing who's in control. Or it may be lack of following a well documented Purchased Part Approval Process because it gets in the way of saving a few pennys on a part. Or lack of follow-up back to the supplier that they are regularly shipping defective product and need to either implement in-process inspection & rework prior to shipment, or rework the tooling to make good parts.

The little company I worked at with only 300-320 employees and only five purchasing people had ALL those processes documented and suppliers abiding by all the rules whether they liked them or not. We got 100% good parts in or they went back to the supplier on the next truck out.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In JD's defense, I don't think it's so much a lack of sense of urgency as it is lack of knowing who's in control. Or it may be lack of following a well documented Purchased Part Approval Process because it gets in the way of saving a few pennys on a part. Or lack of follow-up back to the supplier that they are regularly shipping defective product and need to either implement in-process inspection & rework prior to shipment, or rework the tooling to make good parts.

The little company I worked at with only 300-320 employees and only five purchasing people had ALL those processes documented and suppliers abiding by all the rules whether they liked them or not. We got 100% good parts in or they went back to the supplier on the next truck out.
Wouldn't the warranty work the dealers do tell JD what's going on? That data must be easy to follow. Seems easy. I wonder whether their dealer network is consulted about repeat problems with JD parts. When the hitch position control slips thru the plastic housing time and again since 2011, and nothing is changed...........

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Anyone who is having a problem, have your dealer refer to DTAC 97971. So... Deere is aware and the fix is out.

Per Deere...
Supplier had issues during production with caps not sealing correctly on the coolant overflow reservoir. Date code stamps that were produced before AIP13143 (13-year, 143-day in year) were found to have a supplier fault. Any date stamp after AIP13143 ( 23-May-2013) has an updated tank to take care of this issue.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Anyone who is having a problem, have your dealer refer to DTAC 97971. So... Deere is aware and the fix is out.

Per Deere...
Supplier had issues during production with caps not sealing correctly on the coolant overflow reservoir. Date code stamps that were produced before AIP13143 (13-year, 143-day in year) were found to have a supplier fault. Any date stamp after AIP13143 ( 23-May-2013) has an updated tank to take care of this issue.
I had the updated coolant overflow resouvoir put on by my dealer in September of 2013,after sanding the original resouvoir failed to help, the new replacement resouvoir helped a little but it still leaked, I also know others in my area that had theirs replaced with the same results , still leaked. I installed the PVC pipe in the resouvoir , didn't leak anymore , showed the dealer what I had done when I had it in for warranty work . Service manager and service tech said . Oh. That works, that's simple. Probably as far as this small fix went.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Wouldn't the warranty work the dealers do tell JD what's going on? That data must be easy to follow. Seems easy. I wonder whether their dealer network is consulted about repeat problems with JD parts. When the hitch position control slips thru the plastic housing time and again since 2011, and nothing is changed...........
I can assure you that every little thing wrong with a new piece of equipment, the dealer screams long and loud back at Mother Deere, and charges absolutely stupid money back to her to fix. And the people on the shop floor from the Business unit mgr's to the hourly people all hear about the problems at the producing plants.

And on the flip side, when a dealer charges back the labor to repair a warranty problem the company fights them back for price gouging, unnecessary parts and labor hours. It's not a friendly relationship between dealers & the company.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Red Badger,
"I had the updated coolant overflow resouvoir put on by my dealer in September of 2013,after sanding the original resouvoir failed to help, the new replacement resouvoir helped a little but it still leaked, I also know others in my area that had theirs replaced with the same results , still leaked. I installed the PVC pipe in the resouvoir , didn't leak anymore , showed the dealer what I had done when I had it in for warranty work . Service manager and service tech said . Oh. That works, that's simple. Probably as far as this small fix went."

Whats the PVC pipe do? Act as a baffle or keep the cap tight. Maybe a pic would help.

--jpn

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I can assure you that every little thing wrong with a new piece of equipment, the dealer screams long and loud back at Mother Deere, and charges absolutely stupid money back to her to fix. And the people on the shop floor from the Business unit mgr's to the hourly people all hear about the problems at the producing plants.

And on the flip side, when a dealer charges back the labor to repair a warranty problem the company fights them back for price gouging, unnecessary parts and labor hours. It's not a friendly relationship between dealers & the company.

I would say that's a very unusual situation in this day and age. As a dealer, we have a good relationship with our manufacturer. There is rarely any fight about warranty claims; the OEM sets their requirements including a flat rate per job that they will pay the dealer. The dealers abide by their rules and their pay rates, or get nothing. That's over simplifying it a bit, but warranty claims rarely result in arguments.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Red Badger,
"I had the updated coolant overflow resouvoir put on by my dealer in September of 2013,after sanding the original resouvoir failed to help, the new replacement resouvoir helped a little but it still leaked, I also know others in my area that had theirs replaced with the same results , still leaked. I installed the PVC pipe in the resouvoir , didn't leak anymore , showed the dealer what I had done when I had it in for warranty work . Service manager and service tech said . Oh. That works, that's simple. Probably as far as this small fix went."

Whats the PVC pipe do? Act as a baffle or keep the cap tight. Maybe a pic would help.

--jpn
The PVC pipe does act as a baffle , keeps the coolant from sloshing around the cap. The couple holes in the side of the PVC pipe allow return coolant into the tank so it doesn't fill up the PVC pipe.

Sorry Im not good doin pics.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will say this again....this is not brain surgery. Having a cap that doesn't leak. Somebody is not trying and it is not the end purchasers of the equipment.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here are a couple pictures of the PVC pipe baffle.

I have gone through every fix JD has had for this but the only thing that worked was this...

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Big J Deere. How about sharing the size of that PVC part so I can make one for myself? That's a great idea!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Big J Deere. How about sharing the size of that PVC part so I can make one for myself? That's a great idea!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
See post on 1st page no. 4 . Big J Deere and I both used the same size , we are in the same area in Wi.
We Work on issues together

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the same issue. I completed the work on the underside of the cap and installed the PVC pipe. I used a piece of 1 1/2" PVC, cut to a length of 3 9/16" long.

Thanks for the post.:greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Here are a couple pictures of the PVC pipe baffle.

I have gone through every fix JD has had for this but the only thing that worked was this...
Is that a plumbing part ? It looks as if there is a lip at the top . Could it be a sink crossover tube which would have a flange to connect one end to the disposer connection ? Thanks for the pics .:unknown:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes I used a plumbing part as that's what I had on hand...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts