Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the radiator core on a 630 with power steering. I need direction on how to remove the steering support. As always, almost 60 years of rust and corrosion is a problem. What part of the steering linkage must be removed, and what order?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Not sure this will help much but, JDParts has a PDF of the parts break-down of your machine. You might want to check into getting a service manual for it as well. Sorry, I can't be of much more help on this one.

·
Registered
740 Posts
If it is anything like other 2-cylinder Deeres, all the steering shafts slip over each other and are held in place by set screws. An official service manual, a wire brush, and a can of PB Blaster are going to be your best buddies for this project.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't know if you are beyond this or not but...Not sure what you mean by "steering support". On my 60 I removed the radiator cover, took the steering wheel off, took off the covers on the pedestal and removed the steering shaft. You then have to just remove anything in the way of the core, tank top, breather tube and all other bits n pieces. I removed the fan shaft / fan as everything was going to come off anyway and that makes taking the fan shroud off a bunch easier. Mine did not have power steering so that helped a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really appreciate all the information. All together again and no leaks. I was reading in the 630 manual, John Deere recommended adding a recognized brand of radiator sealer. Have not done this. I did find 2 fibrous straws laying on top of old core, possibly factory? Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts