Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I don't see any pull out screens that you can easily access that helps keep plant matter, etc. out of the actual radiator. Is there one/two? In a few videos I watched, they bragged about accessing these (not sure what year or exact model, but I thought it was a 5e series). Just happened to look last time at our place and did not see them and thought that was odd. Didn't even see how any could slide in...at least, where I was looking.

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I don't see any pull out screens that you can easily access that helps keep plant matter, etc. out of the actual radiator. Is there one/two? In a few videos I watched, they bragged about accessing these (not sure what year or exact model, but I thought it was a 5e series). Just happened to look last time at our place and did not see them and thought that was odd. Didn't even see how any could slide in...at least, where I was looking.
JD has eliminated the radiator screens from a lot of newer tractors. The theory is that with the tight fitting hood, front and side screens that debris will not make its way into the radiator. This has proven to be a false assumption even on the smaller tractors.

I checked the parts illustration and did not see any radiator screens shown. I also checked the maintenance checklist and did not see any mention of cleaning the radiator screen. What I did see was this:

[h=3]Service—As Required[/h]
  • Clean Front Grille, Side Screens, Radiator, Condenser (cab) and Oil, Fuel or Air Coolers (if equipped)
On tractors with radiator screens you typically see this listed:

[h=3]As Needed[/h]
  • Check and clean radiator cooling screen.

Reactions: 1010

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys! Our Massey 1533 has one and it's nice when bushhogging broomstraw and other taller grasses. Don't have much of that any longer now that we are planting the big field.

How would y'all recommend cleaning the radiator? Have a blower (my first choice, I guess)and can do low pressure water, but not sure how easy that will be as packed as things are under the hood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts